IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

help-Engine bogging 3-4500rpm????

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-08, 06:46 AM
import2nr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help-Engine bogging 3-4500rpm????

Recently a problem started with my is300 where the engine seems to bog right when the , sorry like i posted before im really new to lexus/toyota ive had hondas all my life till now and thought this was a move in the right direction, so far im starting to wonder.
anyway in honda land, id describe it right as the Vtec would kick in. It like just loses power severly, but if you just stay in the rpms it will eventually kick on and the powers back, or if you lift off the throttle for a second and then hit it again it takes off like a rocket. its a 5 speed and the trac control is off when this is happening. it has a K&N intake system and a hp cat back, thats the only engine mods.
Also it threw a code for cyl #1 misfire 2 weeks ago, the mechanic told me it was because i fueled it with the gas cap off? It hasnt come on since.
Im thinking of starting with cleaning the MAF sensor,checking the plugs to see if any are lean, and if any are cleaning the injectors?(not sure how to do that)
any other ideas of what this problem is steming from?????? or tips on cleaning the MAF/injectors
Old 03-26-08, 08:25 AM
lexdymndz
Lead Lap

interesting. does your K&N have a sheild? it could be turbulent air from the radiator fan messing with the airflow and feeding it hot air.
id say start by cleaning your MAF sensor. link to isfanatics.com: http://www.isfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93

Originally Posted by my.IS/ IS300.NET
i would only use electrical parts cleaner. stuff for circuit boards etc.
not really the compressed air keyboard stuff. its a liquid that leaves no residue.
not brake cleaner not carb spray.
once you know what the MAF is, the thing in the intake tube thats held in with 2 screws. take it out and look down into the center. use a flash light and when its dirty you can see a wire at the bottom that looks like a burnt sparkler.dirty and fuzzy looking. spray the electrical parts cleaner and it should removed the fuzz.
theres a few reasons they get dirty. there is stuff thats in the air and it slowly piles on. also at the lex training they explain about wax thats is in the sensors that heat up and can get on the hot wire.
hope this helps
if that doesnt help, use some pour in the gas take fuel injection cleaner.

if you dont have a sheild for your K&N, build one. Heres mine for my AEM:

Last edited by lexdymndz; 03-26-08 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-26-08, 03:15 PM
import2nr
Driver School Candidate

thanks forall that info, im bout to go get the elecs. cleaner and clean the maf i found a good pictorial with directions on what things to clean. lexdymndz about the intake sheild... the pics kinda dark on my comp so im not sure what your sheild is, my intake has none of the stock air box left in it, so im sure there is hot air from the fan hitting it? to make the sheild is it important to just block the dirverside of the airfilter?