IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

I NEED HELP!!! AEM/Apexi SAFC problem??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-02, 11:12 AM
Sheliz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I NEED HELP!!! AEM/Apexi SAFC problem??

I just got an AEM intake and APexi Safc installled about 2 weeks ago, I have been out of town for a week and my car has been sitting in the garage. I just turned it on today and smoke was coming out the exhaust (not just a little--> it was pretty thick and smelled like oil??) I'm hoping it is because I haven't used the car in a while??? I restored the AFC to factory settings.... If anybody can maybe help and maybe have an explanation as to why thick white smoke is coming out my exhaust PLEASE help!!!... I am about to go back to college today and drive about 2 hrs, now I am really nervous.
Old 01-07-02, 12:48 PM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

The most responsible reply & advise I can recommend would be not to drive the car on that trip. It is the safest thing you can do. More importantly, just as lextec said in another post, I would have the car delivered to a competent tuning garage w/ a dyno. Just thumb through the yellow pages if you have to or use the internet to find candidates to complete this work.

Can't really explain the smoke but to think the alternate non-factory settings programed into the Apex-i may have not have been good for the stock ECU to process. Hopefully, there is not any permanent or detrimental motor damage.

Keep us informed as to what happens or what was the problem.

Thanks.
Old 01-07-02, 06:51 PM
gte
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

have it reinstalled correctly.
Old 01-07-02, 07:01 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I think it would be safe to say get somone who knows the Safc to reinstall it the right way and get it tuned....there are other wys to do it but tat is the safest unless you have experience with tuning..
Old 01-09-02, 11:17 AM
Sheliz
Driver School Candidate

Ok... well I had to drive back to school anyway--> thankfully everything was ok after I restored the AFC to factory settings... I'm never touching that thing again!!! Only advice I can give to anyone about the Apexi SAFC, is don't even try it unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing, too many things can go wrong. If I ever find a knowledgeable place with a dyno around the Atlanta area... I'm gonna take it there to get it tuned. If anyone knows of a good place to take my car that is relatively close to the ATL area, please let me know.
Old 01-09-02, 12:38 PM
Christobol
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Man when I read that post initally I thought your engine was toast. I'm glad to hear that it's running and appears to be fine. I was considering the SAFC but now it's highly unlikely unless I throw on a turbo too.

Scary
Old 01-09-02, 12:47 PM
Sheliz
Driver School Candidate

Well.. hopefully I didn't cause any serious damage, everything seems to be ok right now. If I find out I did cause damage with the AFC I'll let you guys know
Old 01-10-02, 06:37 PM
gte
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i doubt you did anything to the engine, the IS just doesn't have the parameters to do engine damage being as stock as yours is.

here is what probably happened, you either 1) made it very rich, and the car would idle rich enough not to burn the fuel off in any of the 3 or 4 cats, and bellow out black smoke, OR the more probable one 2) you thought that condensation smoke on a cold start in a rather cooler morning or day was engine smoke.

either way, for your cars sake, don't mess with it
Old 01-11-02, 08:05 AM
Sheliz
Driver School Candidate

Wink

Well... if condensation usually smells like something burning and looks like thick white smoke, then I guess it could have been condensation.
I restored the afc back to factory settings and now the check engine light has come on, I am assuming it is because the ECU is not recognizing the increased air flow? The engine is responding normally and everything else seems fine.
Anyone know how to eliminate the engine light coming on?
Old 01-15-02, 03:34 PM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

There is a way to remove the "Check Engine" light using the Lexus handheld diagnostic tool....the exact name escapes me right now. Anyway, using this tool one would first determine the error codes that are causing the check engine light. After this then you would clear out the error codes & the check engine light disappears until the ecu resenses the problem.

This diagnostic tool is not commonly available outside of the Lexus dealership arena, but it is very possible for someone to have it if they perform a lot of work on Lexus cars.

Hope this helps...good luck...what's the weather like in the ATL this time of year??

Thanks.
Old 01-18-02, 10:37 PM
Sheliz
Driver School Candidate

After disconnecting the negative battery terminal for about 10 mins, I reconnected it and let the engine run for about 15--> the engine light went off and has been off for a while, hopefully this may be a temporary solution until the afc is tuned...
Got my Dragger II installed today