IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Recall Notice?!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-01, 11:51 AM
swtcheeks415
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Recall Notice?!!

hey everyone...........i just got (probably the last) '01IS and a friend of mine was saying that it had been recalled cus of the tires.........they said that the dealership will replace the old one's and put new ones on.......is this true..........i know they did recalled the GS4 last year cus of tire problems.........is this the same case........?........someone please let me know what's going on..............thanks
Old 11-25-01, 07:06 PM
ro-lex
Rookie

swtcheeks415:
From what I've heard, I believe the recall is only on the IS's equipped with Bridgestone tires. If your car has Dunlap SP9000's, you should be ok. Either way, if there is a recall on the tires you have on your car, you'll get a recall notice from Lexus. Hope that answers your question.
Old 11-25-01, 09:33 PM
STKSKI
Rookie

the only problem is you have to get the damn written notice in the mail from lexus because it has a barcode the your dealership scans in, in order to get you the free tires. I am still waiting for my letter, one of my tires is starting to bubble and the lady at lexus said it needs replacing. WHERE IS MY LETTER!!!! I WANT MY NEW TIRES!! LOL
Old 11-26-01, 05:39 AM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Default Re: Recall Notice?!!

Originally posted by swtcheeks415
hey everyone...........i just got (probably the last) '01IS and a friend of mine was saying that it had been recalled cus of the tires.........they said that the dealership will replace the old one's and put new ones on.......is this true..........i know they did recalled the GS4 last year cus of tire problems.........is this the same case........?........someone please let me know what's going on..............thanks

If you have Bridgestone tires and the DOT number on the sidewall has a "CAA" in the serial number. Then you qaulify for another set of updated Bridgestone tires. If you have Goodyear tires, then they are updated to the Dunlops.

FYI: There was never a GS4 tire recall.

Call Lexus (1-800-25LEXUS) and ask if your car qualifies, and if so, where is your letter.
Old 11-26-01, 09:38 AM
Marley
Pole Position

Thanks Devildog I just checked my tires Guess I will wait for the letter.
Old 12-04-01, 05:41 PM
Ed Bohon
Driver School Candidate

You don't have to wait for the letter. I drove to the local Lexus dealer in Cerritos and they contacted Lexus for the recall authorization number....my letter was mailed to an old address. Get it done soon. The tires' sidewall wire mesh have a tendancy to separate...this creates an unsupported 'buble' like petrusion on the sidewall that you can actually push with your finger....like a balloon.....I know....my tires had it.

Ed.
Old 12-05-01, 12:38 PM
mjdart
Driver

Default Got my tires yesterday

The dealer has you bring car in with the letter. The letter has an authorization number in the lower right corner along with your VIN. The they look at your tires to get the serial number off of 'em. They then order the tires, 3-5 days they come in and they call you for appointment. I was suprised when they installed new Bridgestones. I had heard they were giving Dunlops to Bridgestone cars and Goddyears to Goodyear cars.
Old 12-07-01, 04:23 PM
ShoRoom_IS300
Driver School Candidate

Default Just Got my new Potenza's

They ordered mine early and by the time they were delivered to the store I had my letter. It took a week or so to get them. Just giving you my experience. Hope this helps.
Old 12-10-01, 06:33 PM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

Just to let yall know.
My car came with five 17" goodyears.
One bubbled, and I purchased a replacment goodyear through them last year
Later on, I had to replace 2 more goodyears but I purchased 2 dunlop sp9000s through Discount Tires earlier this year.
I then recently got that tire recall notice and I received 5 new dunlop tires for free. I got to keep the 2 older dunlop tires I bought myself.
And Lexus also sent me a refund check for the one additional goodyear tire I purchased through them.
I hope this helps yall out.
Old 12-12-01, 12:14 PM
beckham313
Driver School Candidate

only the old Potenzas are being recalled, if you got it new from the dealer, maybe they're already repleced.
Old 12-12-01, 05:55 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Originally posted by beckham313
only the old Potenzas are being recalled, if you got it new from the dealer, maybe they're already repleced.
Wrong, Any Potenza with "CAA" in the DOT number and ALL Goodyears tires. The goodyears will be replaced with the Dunlops. The Potenzas will get an updated Potenza with "LBJ" in the DOT number.
Old 12-16-01, 11:02 PM
mjdart
Driver

Default Got my tires replaced

They replaced my Bridgestone 040's with an improved model. My saleman was suprided, he thought they were going to Dunlop SP9000's, I had 18,500 miles on mine so I was very pleased to get another set!
Old 12-17-01, 09:24 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Default Re: Got my tires replaced

Originally posted by mjdart
"My saleman was suprided, he thought they were going to Dunlop SP9000's..."

FYI,

Sales people know NOTHING about whats going on in the service department. They dont read TSIBs, they dont attend any technical meetings, and they change dealers every 6 months. Mjdart, I'm not saying anything bad about you. I just KNOW from past experience, sales people most often pass the WRONG information!!!!!

My 2cents!

Old 12-26-01, 07:49 PM
Gotago
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

The dealer replaced my tires with Pilots about four months ago, I got my letter and I have an appointment Saturday to have the new tires put on. Im happy that they noticed the problem with the bubbles in the side walls, and also the Pilot tires scrape the fender when I corner hard...side walls to high, but they stick like crazy ....
Attached Thumbnails Recall Notice?!!-mvc-006f.jpg  
Old 12-30-01, 09:45 AM
01greenIS
Driver School Candidate

That's correct. Lexus should have sent you a mailer advising of recall of existing tires. The new tires are suppose to be of the same specs with the exception to the number of plies on the sidewall.

I haven't replaced mine yet, however due to a pothole on a blind turn, I had to replace a tire prior to the issuance of the recall.

Quick Reply: Recall Notice?!!