IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Recall Notice?!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-02, 06:47 PM
BigJoeD
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I got new Dunlops SP9000 to replace my Goodyear GSD's. I also had over 20K miles on the tires, but I had already replaced 2 of them. Lexus is also going to refund me the price of the tires I bought. GOD BLESS LEXUS.
Old 02-01-02, 09:31 AM
Riceboy77
Driver School Candidate

I just received the notice a couple of weeks ago. I'm going to wait until summer to change the tires, since I have my winter rims on right now. How do you guys find the new tires though? Are they any better in handling? I read that one of you got Dunlop SP 9000s! Should I be expecting an upgrade like that? That's insane! Can't wait. The letter seemed a little confusing, it doesn't make clear if I'm going to have the same low-profile tire or not. My car is lowered, so I'm hoping that I won't get a high-profile tire in exchange.
Old 02-02-02, 05:35 AM
Marley
Pole Position

If you have the Bridgestone tire then you will get the same tire. Same size too. The only difference is that the sidewall is two ply If I recall. Hope that helps
Old 02-02-02, 09:59 PM
swtcheeks415
Driver School Candidate

Wink thanks

hi everyone.........thanks for giving me the info. about the tires.....especially to u DEVILDOGIS300............really appreciate it......i called 1-800-25-lexus and they had no problems getting my claim# for that "special campaign"--as they call it..........i called the local dealership here at SF and they said that they had a back order of 2 weeks.........its kewl with me, i didnt mind the wait.......finally got them installed yesterday (2/1) and they loaned me a RX300.....very luxurious and handles great for an suv......the new tires seem to handle better.....(they changed my goodyears to dunlops)...........but i forgot to ask them if it's the same PSI's as the old tires.......can someone please let me know...................thanks again everyone........
Old 02-09-02, 08:56 PM
Buzzlightyear
Driver School Candidate

Question

What size Mich. Pilot tires did you try? Are they the recommended 215/45/17 size tires? I got my recall letter last week. I would prefer to have the Pilots over the stock tires! Please let me know how did you make out. I have attached the link below for additional information about the tires and their sizing. The numbers can get very confusing!!

http://www.howstuffworks.com/tire2.htm
Old 02-12-02, 10:44 PM
swtcheeks415
Driver School Candidate

Default buzzlightyear

hum......just call ur local dealership and tell them the # at the bar code and they'll take care of everything.....dont sweat.........but when u get ur car back, make sure u walk all around.........i found scratches on all 4 of my rims, they're gonna fix it, but still........oh, the new tires handle soooo much better
Old 02-22-02, 01:19 PM
Seattle_Lexus
Driver School Candidate

I have a set of Potenza's on my IS. I did get the letter, and it stated that I have until November to get the new tires on it. I don't see any bulges on them, so I plan on waiting as late as possible to get the new tires installed.
Old 03-05-02, 05:52 AM
Rob L
Rookie

Smile

I was so happy when I say the recall letter a couple months ago. Nothing is wrong with my current set of tires except that the tread is obviously wearing down down from lots of use...now I get a free set of tires that I was planning on buying in a year or so anyway.

I am a happy camper...oh and I too will wait until sometime in the summer to replace them after I drive the **** out of my current summer tires once winter ends. Right now I have winter tires & rims on the car.
Old 03-05-02, 09:38 AM
Seattle_Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

One other thing to keep in mind. I spoke with the service center yesterday at my dealership. It is clearly noted on the letter, but he said people don't really read it all the way through and check their tires. Just because you recieved the letter does not automatically mean you get new tires, it just means that your VIN fell into the possible recall class. You have to verify that your tires are factory equipped 215/45 ZR17 tires otherwise you are not covered.
Old 03-29-02, 03:19 PM
blackjack
Driver School Candidate

Default Potenza RE040's

This is truly unbelievable. I know, this is my second post, who the hell am I?

I just posted over on the RX forum looking for some advice about our RX (see how that works.) I happened across this thread and my mouth dropped.

I noticed last year when I was checking out the IS that they put Potenza RE040's on them. Now I don't know what the IS weighs but I currently have an Audi TT. It weighs 2900Lbs and corners very well. Which means it puts a lot of stress on the sidewall.

SOme of you may have heard that we over on the Audi side, particularly S4 owners and TT owners had a voluntary recall issued last year about the 040's. I had multiple bubbles personally. Then I saw then being put on the IS and GS Lexuses. Crazy. NOW I see that you all are going through the same shiznit. It's very dissapointing.

I actually replaced my 040's with RE730 Potenzas since many friends told me that the 040 issue was a fluke and that Bstone makes great tires. After reading this forum today I no longer believe that. Manufacturer after manufacturer have problems with the 040 but yet they still sell them.

I now run Kumho 712's on my TT and am thrilled with them.

I'll see you folks again. I am shopping for an IS or G35 in June. Nice place you got here.
Old 04-06-02, 02:39 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, i have the Dunlops on mine, called the dealer to check when i heard about the recall and mine wasn't among the ones. Oh well, no free tires for me. BTW.. the Dunlops stick like crazy In my garage i have the floor painted with oil based gray paint when i turn the steering wheel it pull the paint off

Leaves tread marks in driveway, if i loose control in this car on these tires, i deserve it!!!
Old 04-07-02, 07:55 PM
AlBoston
Pole Position

Originally posted by DevildogIS300

Wrong, Any Potenza with "CAA" in the DOT number and ALL Goodyears tires. The goodyears will be replaced with the Dunlops. The Potenzas will get an updated Potenza with "LBJ" in the DOT number.
Where on the tire do i look for this CAA, I don't know where the DOT number is.
Old 04-08-02, 09:30 AM
swtcheeks415
Driver School Candidate

hey alboston,

just call ur dealer and tell them about the special campaign regarding the tires and they'll ask u for the vin # and that'll verify if u can get the tires........hopefully that helps u out

Old 04-08-02, 12:35 PM
AlBoston
Pole Position

My car is a 2002 model. I have the bridgestones, I hope they are ok.
Old 04-12-02, 08:52 PM
fire
Driver School Candidate

Post Recall Notice?!!

the recall is meant to replace all oe tires on IS's that have 1 ply sidewalls. Only Good Years and Bridgestones were oe 1 ply tires. It says right on the sidewall in small print how many plies and belts and stuff are in that tire. New tires are 2 ply sidewall.

Quick Reply: Recall Notice?!!