IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Maybe about to buy '02 high mileage IS300... Would like some input!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-07, 07:03 AM
buuzero
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Maybe about to buy '02 high mileage IS300... Would like some input!

Hi everyone, this weekend while researching the IS300 after coming to the conclusion that this is probably the car for me, I came across this site. You guys (and girls!) are probably the best Lexus site I've found for information about the car! Thanks for that.

Anyway, I am looking into getting a 2002 IS300 this coming weekend and would like to hear your thoughts. Like I said, I am glad I found this forum, learning about the very few common problems that this car has (CD Player, O2 sensors... anything else?). The car I am looking into getting is an automatic that has about 108,000 miles on it and I checked the Carfax and it has been in one minor accident (Damage to left front pillar) which I cannot even tell from looking at the car. Interior is in great condition, I still need to test drive it though.

Anyway, the dealer has the car listed for $11,999 and I'm hoping to get an out-the-door price of maybe $12 - $12,400 or less (dealer has a ridiculous "dealer fee" of around $600, not to mention tax which would put it around $13,400). I don't think the timing belt has been replaced, which I have seen people around here say should be done at 90k miles.

So, would I be reasonable to make an offer in this range? I didn't want to make one until I was definitely sure I wanted to buy.

Thanks!
Old 03-20-07, 10:42 AM
buuzero
Driver School Candidate

Oh yeah, I have also heard the fuel efficiency on these cars is not great, but I don't think that will be a big problem for me. I currently drive an old automatic '89 Acura Legend, which I think is only supposed to get like 19mpg, but I could be wrong. I'm seeing people say that the IS300 gets about 22mpg, correct?

So yeah... input needed! I've looked around and seen these topics been done to death, sorry to add another one to the list but any opinions will be helpful. Oh yeah, the car is graphite gray pearl, with tan interior (I would have preferred the dark interior, but I guess you can't have everything!).
Old 03-20-07, 11:20 AM
btorok
Pole Position

According to Kelley Blue Book (http://www.kbb.com), the private party value for a base 2002 IS in good condition in Florida is $12,380.

BTW, 22.75MPG is about the best Ive gotten on a long trip, even with intake and exhaust done. Although I rarely drive under 80. If you baby it, you can probably get a little better. Good luck on your search. I spent about a month looking all over southern California for the exact car I wanted. Take your time and make sure you get something you'll be happy with.
Old 03-20-07, 05:13 PM
96gti2.0t
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats alot of miles and so you should be able to get a better deal make them a offer the worst they could say is no offer them 10 see what happens
Old 03-20-07, 07:58 PM
buuzero
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input guys, I will definitely take it into consideration.
Old 03-22-07, 11:32 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are there any other commons the IS300 has? I may buy a used IS300 soon (probably with 90k+ miles b/c of my budget) and was wondering the same thing.
Old 03-23-07, 01:11 AM
Carbon~IS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask if all the maintenance was done for 90k (t-belt, water pump, radiator fluid, spark plug, etc)...

Good luck!
Old 03-23-07, 07:37 AM
btorok
Pole Position

Good point, Carbon!
Old 03-25-07, 12:43 AM
808lexusIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by btorok
According to Kelley Blue Book (http://www.kbb.com), the private party value for a base 2002 IS in good condition in Florida is $12,380.

BTW, 22.75MPG is about the best Ive gotten on a long trip, even with intake and exhaust done. Although I rarely drive under 80. If you baby it, you can probably get a little better. Good luck on your search. I spent about a month looking all over southern California for the exact car I wanted. Take your time and make sure you get something you'll be happy with.

dang i guess IS300 on ur side is cheap... ova here in hawaii its about 17k for base model in good condition....
Old 04-03-07, 02:09 PM
Paulk
Driver School Candidate

It may be too late now but I just joined the forum today.
We have a 2002 IS Automatic with about 65K miles.

We have only had one repair and that was under warranty on replacing a bad O2 sensor. Other than that, no problems ever. Just routine maintanance that I handle or have my mechanic handle. I don't do the high dollar dealer maint. programs.

I'm getting ready to do my first brake job soon and radiator flush. I did a transmission flush at 35000 and will do another in a few months.

In conclusion I think this is a well built car and like most Toyota products, relatively trouble free.

But like most highend imports - if there is trouble, expect to pay a premium on parts and repairs.
Old 10-04-07, 03:48 PM
luiml73
Driver School Candidate

well I just baught an 03 with 59k miles on it. Car looks and drives like it came straight out of the showroom floor. I went to lexus today to get the service records the only major work done so far was the rear main seal. A friend had warned me about that already, so I'm glad it's already been done. I know someone with 167k still on the stock T.belt. I plan on changing the bel real soon though.
Old 10-15-07, 02:11 PM
oddrob
Driver School Candidate

These cars will go a long way if maintained well. 108k would not be a deal breaker for me.
Old 10-30-07, 11:12 PM
endleesss
Rookie

Yah I bought mine at 60k, and it was well taken care of by the previous owner. Now I'm at 98k still running strong =) and looking good too if I might add.
Old 10-31-07, 11:06 PM
myronl
Driver School Candidate

I like my IS (2001). It has pep and is fun to drive. I don't think it is worth what I paid for it though (new).

Here are some recent IS prices: http://www.pricehub.com/price/Lexus/IS300
Old 03-23-08, 08:10 AM
Taggart01
Driver School Candidate

I'm thinking about a IS myself; either that or a 3 series. But the price you were quoted is about right.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2002/lex...tion=vdpresult

This is for WPB and I guessed on the options but I bet it's pretty close. By the way, where did you find the car? Good luck.

Quick Reply: Maybe about to buy '02 high mileage IS300... Would like some input!