IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Oh crap! is the new I35 serious threat ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-01, 10:33 AM
lexusnexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh crap! is the new I35 serious threat ?

So the new I35 has, what 255 HP holy ***** ! With Rod Millen exhasut or minor tweeks ...easy 300 HP

I'm pissed ! The IS has 210 ! I want the TRD supercharger...not available until late next year ! This really sucks !

And what about the regular Nissan Maxima....that also has same engine..correct ? Seriously thinking of selling/trading for new I35.
Old 10-29-01, 12:00 PM
sleeper
Driver School Candidate

Okay. first of all, the IS has 215hp.
i have a '00 I30 and a 01 IS300 and a 01 Z3 so i have every right to say what i'm about to say.

what we have is a phat LEXUS. i even traded in my modified 99 GS3 for the IS. now, a lot of people ask me why da fxxx i traded in the GS for a cheaper IS, paying higher monthly payments because of returning the car before the lease was finished, and i give them one answer: the IS looks better.
and all u GS owners out there, shut up and admit it cuz i am a former GS owner, and the GS looks ugly when it's stock ( i call it the soccer mom's car look).

ANYWAY, the I30 or the new I35 is a fxxxin' INFINITI. AND it's ugly, and the I35 basically has the same exterior as the I30. just minor changes. i consider those minor changes as NO change which is why i never consider a 'BRAND NEW' look as new unless they totally changes the sheet metal. so if u get the 'NEW' I35, you're basically getting a 'old model' car, not to mention ugly, and we all know Infiniti has VERY LOW resale value.

i consider all those Infiniti, Audi, whatever, competitors only in the price range. which car you get is a matter of which car has better looks. if you're still immature to care about which car has 5 more horse power and want to race every car that stops next to you, you should get a civic and make it a super rice rocket. people like that dont deserve anything like a GS4 or M5. dont get me wrong cuz i'm not saying that's you.

my point is, please dont even compare anything like a Infiniti to a Lexus. they are not even close to be compared.
Old 10-29-01, 12:13 PM
lexusnexus
Pole Position

Ok....that all sounds good, and you seem to have good info, in relation to the cars in question, I have noticed that Infiniti kind of get dogged on resale too, plus your're right, they are pretty ugly....really like the engine though !.....

I love my IS, and plan to keep forever ! I just had to vent 'bout the 255 HP....I'm so jealous of that !

I really couldn't sell or trade my IS ....

But I really,really want the TRD super charger !
Old 10-29-01, 03:32 PM
N10S1
Driver

In a word: NO. Maybe in straight line acceleration, like the TL-S, however if you are looking for the handling champ, IS all the way. The I35 still has that nasty rear beam axle, no contest.
Old 10-29-01, 04:13 PM
Sentinel
Pole Position

I agree its not a very attractive car and doesnt come stick. And infinities dont resale well im not sure way. I know the first models had quality issues maybe that is still ******* them.
Old 10-29-01, 06:11 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

I love posers like sleeper, 2 whole posts and they are the authority on all that is Lexus !! Why would someone buy a $30k+ I30, yet say it's ugly and not as nice ??!! Why'd you buy it ??!! And I hate to break it to you, but I can almost guarantee that hardly any GS300/430 owners traded in their cars for an IS300, which is smaller, no more powerful, and alot less luxurious. As for handling, a GS300 with less than $500 in mods will get the job done, and the 430 handles as well as the IS300 (I know, I own a GS430, and drove the IS300 for a few days). And why anyone would put a kit on a $60k car is beyond me, but to each his own, so that is simply your OPINION, which car is nicer looking, not fact. And I love how he starts his post correcting someone about a 5hp difference, then ends his post by saying that you are immature if you only care about an extra 5hp !!! The BMW 325 has 30 less hp but puts out almost the same exact #'s stick and auto, the 330 auto is actually .1 faster than the IS stick (of course it has 10 more hp). Infiniti and Lexus are comparable because they are the same thing, a luxury division of their parent company, although Lexus is considered higher, Infiniti is no slouch.
Old 10-29-01, 08:01 PM
sleeper
Driver School Candidate

yes, my opinion is my opinion. and by the way, i'm not in any way trying to argue with anyone. i just replied to one of the posts i read.

at least there's no Toyota's cheap version of the IS or GS. (we do all know Maxima is the cheap version of the I30, right?)
when i was talking about the GS, i was talking about the GS3, not the GS4. just the rims makes the G4 look MUCH better. if you have the G4, good for you. i just feel a little sorry for people who have the G3 cuz they cant afford the G4.
i got aftermarket rims, exhaust, springs, lights, etc , etc, for the stock G3 i had just to look different cuz there's soooo many G3 in my town.
as for the G4, one bad thing being a owner of a G4 is that alot of people assume it's a G3. speaking of that, for example, i also feel sorry and dont understand why the heck people buy the Mercedes S430. know what i mean? if people like that try to give me a reason for getting the S430 instead of S500, i'll tell them to ****, cuz they're both pretty expensive so might as well get the 500. i've seen so many S320 with 'S500' emblem on their trunks. and i've seen plenty of cheap G3 owners with the 'GS400' badge, or they shave off the 'GS300' which makes it MORE obvious it's a G3. so cheap, so sad.

the reason i got rid of my G3 is because i was tired of spending money on my cars, so i decided to get a car that looks GOOD when it's stock. my G3 was too noticable in this 'small' korea town i live, so i wanted something unnoticable but NICE. which is why i also got rid of my souped up Mustang.

and hey, dont get me wrong. i'm waiting for the next generation GS. if i like the (STOCK) look, i'm trading my IS for it. do i care about the price? hell no. and for people who wants to say something about me not caring about the price, here's my reason: if i get a ferrari, porsche, etc, i wont be able to park my car ANYWHERE without having to watch it 24/7. my IS' trunk has a ding, Z3 has two door dings, and some ***** totally messed up my I30's rear bumper. that's why i prefer 'cheap' cars so i can just park it anywhere anyhow i want, okay? and YES, i used to have a '98 Porsche 911.

and just FYI:
my 'ugly' I30 is my daily driver, IS3 is my weekend car, and the Z3 is the toy car.
Old 10-30-01, 01:24 PM
MastaTibz
Rookie

damn.. what's your anual income???
Old 10-30-01, 02:25 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by sleeper
Okay. first of all, the IS has 215hp.
i have a '00 I30 and a 01 IS300 and a 01 Z3 so i have every right to say what i'm about to say.

what we have is a phat LEXUS. i even traded in my modified 99 GS3 for the IS. now, a lot of people ask me why da fxxx i traded in the GS for a cheaper IS, paying higher monthly payments because of returning the car before the lease was finished, and i give them one answer: the IS looks better.
and all u GS owners out there, shut up and admit it cuz i am a former GS owner, and the GS looks ugly when it's stock ( i call it the soccer mom's car look).

Yah why da fxxx did u trade in the GS for a cheaper IS?

I give you one answer why not: IS is everywhere.

yah IS looks good stock but hey do you keep your GS stock? So-called "modified" GS means it's fixed up right? Then why you worry about the stock look? You gonna keep your IS stock because it looks nice out of the dealer?

and shut up because just because you're a former GS owner doesn't mean you got the right to speak for all of us. I've driven the IS too so does that give me the right to say the IS is the average kid's alternative to the more expensive 330?
Old 10-30-01, 03:15 PM
sleeper
Driver School Candidate

awwwww. now u GS300 owner is offended, huh?
awwwwwwwwwwwwww. i'm sorry. didn't mean to hurt your feelings kid.
and of course u can say anything about any car u want. but u still gotta admit the stock G3 rims look cheap. and yes, i'm keeping my IS BONE stock. and whether the IS looks better or not is only my opinion, so if you dont like it, fine. i dont care. u dont even have to tell me cuz i still wont care. haha.

and if u read my post carefully again, i said i wanted a 'cheap' stock car that looks good without any mods, okay? i'm not gonna spend anymore more 'unnecessary' money on my cars from now on, which is why i got rid of all my fixed up cars. which is also why i'm waiting to see how the next GS looks like.

lexus is my favorite brand, and if lexus made a cheap convertible like the Z3, i would have got that. and as i said, i prefer cheap cars so i dont need to worry about valet or where i park. i had plenty of hard time with more expensive cars.

oh, and i didnt buy the I30 myself. i kept it cuz my sister moved away.
Old 10-30-01, 07:19 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by sleeper
awwwww. now u GS300 owner is offended, huh?
awwwwwwwwwwwwww. i'm sorry. didn't mean to hurt your feelings kid.
and of course u can say anything about any car u want. but u still gotta admit the stock G3 rims look cheap. and yes, i'm keeping my IS BONE stock. and whether the IS looks better or not is only my opinion, so if you dont like it, fine. i dont care. u dont even have to tell me cuz i still wont care. haha.

and if u read my post carefully again, i said i wanted a 'cheap' stock car that looks good without any mods, okay? i'm not gonna spend anymore more 'unnecessary' money on my cars from now on, which is why i got rid of all my fixed up cars. which is also why i'm waiting to see how the next GS looks like.

lexus is my favorite brand, and if lexus made a cheap convertible like the Z3, i would have got that. and as i said, i prefer cheap cars so i dont need to worry about valet or where i park. i had plenty of hard time with more expensive cars.

oh, and i didnt buy the I30 myself. i kept it cuz my sister moved away.
not offended, don't worry, just lookin after ur back

I don't see how the GS300 rims can look cheap. I don't think it's any worse than the 17s from the GS4 and IS, it's just smaller. I'm not bored enough to trade in my GS just because it's got 16s. If I can afford a GS then I can afford rims. It's more NECESSARY than paying more money for a smaller and cheaper car.

Z3 isn't THAT cheap. If you want cheap why not Miata or MR-S? Those are cheaper and both are better than Z3. Did you get 2.3 or something?
Old 10-31-01, 01:25 AM
sleeper
Driver School Candidate

no, it's not the noisy + weak 2.3.
and i consider cars under $30K cheap, so forget the Miata or watever, cuz i'm so sick and tired of stick also. oh, i just remembered, they have auto with the MR2.
if the S2000 came with an auto, i wouldn't have thought twice about getting one.
Old 10-31-01, 01:31 AM
sleeper
Driver School Candidate

oh, and for those who think sports cars must be driven with a stick, good for you buddy. cuz as i said, i'm just so sick and tired of driving stick in the city. been there, done that. and by the way, my 911 was a auto too.
Old 10-31-01, 06:10 AM
Sentinel
Pole Position

Hmm to each there own I drive a stick for 3+ hours a day in nyc, im stilll not tired of it.
Sentinel
Old 11-01-01, 06:38 AM
ineedblownIS300
Driver School Candidate

Default Even worse..

Nissan's new Altima has the same 3.5 liter engine (240HP due to more restrictive intake) as the Maxima/I35 (255HP) and with a 5-speed manual gets 0-60 times of 5.9! You can probably get it for $20,000 and it looks pretty good. Plus simple airflow mods probably get you in the 260HP range. The more I think about it, the more the IS300 needs more power, especially since it loses more through the real-wheel-drive powertrain.

Quick Reply: Oh crap! is the new I35 serious threat ?