IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Oh crap! is the new I35 serious threat ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-01, 01:50 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I highly doubt that the turbo wasnt expensive and that you are even getting in the low 4's. But if you are going that fast Not saying you are but people here seem to be ricers before they try to make it go as fast as it looks. So I am shocked to see that you even have a turbo.
Old 11-14-01, 02:01 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Retard Factory Ramps Up Production...

Infiniti this, horsepower that, blah, blah, blah, flying *****, blah, blah, blah. Looks like Lexus is on the chopping block again...I guess the world's best automaker has to take a lot of heat, like it or not...If Infiniti is so great, why is their market share/appeal so low? If you say that you drive and Infiniti, nodoby could care less. Say that you drive a Lexus, and people will say, "Let me in on that..." Infiniti is not very inovative. They put a lot of HP in a FF car. Big freakin' deal. Anyone could do that. I don't care how much HP a FF vehicle has, most people who know cars won't give it much respect. You'll get more respect in a 220-HP GS3 (FR) than you will in a 260-HP I35 (FF). And that's the truth. Infiniti is running an ad in the local paper that says the I35 is "...the best luxury sport sedan in the world...". And only $28,500!!! Perstige, too! That's Infiniti for ya. Nissan/Infiniti are STILL lacking in the safety department (you would think that they would have it together by now). Just check the latest safety ratings for the I35: Just barely above average...AGAIN. If Infiniti made their cars safer and RWD, then I would be very interested. Until then: Lexus 'till I die!
Old 11-14-01, 03:40 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

If I have never read ignorance before, Id know it after reading that post. I cant stand these Lexus or nothing fans. SOmeone will say what do I expect froma Lexus' fan site. I'd say I'd expect some fans with some bias but not to the degree of which I see here. "Lexus till death!" "Lexus or nothing!" ridiculous. Im out.
Old 11-14-01, 03:52 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by DROD2045
If I have never read ignorance before, Id know it after reading that post. I cant stand these Lexus or nothing fans. SOmeone will say what do I expect froma Lexus' fan site. I'd say I'd expect some fans with some bias but not to the degree of which I see here. "Lexus till death!" "Lexus or nothing!" ridiculous. Im out.
Good. I've had it out with you before DROD, and you know where that went...I can't stand YOU. You have nothing to "contribute" to this thread but inane ramblings. Why do you bother hanging around? You don't own a Lexus and you're obviously not a Lexus fan, so what gives?

PS- Please don't misinterpret my post. Nobody has to own a Lexus to belong to CL. But you should at least have a positive interest in Lexus or be a fan of Lexus...
Old 11-14-01, 07:56 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

I highly doubt that the turbo wasnt expensive and that you are even getting in the low 4's. But if you are going that fast Not saying you are but people here seem to be ricers before they try to make it go as fast as it looks. So I am shocked to see that you even have a turbo.
?! I am just speechless from this.

#1 I'm a moderator on this board (sc3/4 forums), and with a forum of this caliber would you even think I would be ******ting about my car?!

#2 Check the SC3/4 forums. There's many a person getting less than 4 0-60. Hell, Jeff is pulling 11sec quarters in his SC3. Ebanks has like 800hp in his.

#3 People here ricers?! Are you sure you've been reading posts on ClubLexus?!

Geez.

SR
Old 11-14-01, 08:54 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Originally posted by wantAnewLex

Good. I've had it out with you before DROD, and you know where that went...I can't stand YOU. You have nothing to "contribute" to this thread but inane ramblings. Why do you bother hanging around? You don't own a Lexus and you're obviously not a Lexus fan, so what gives?

PS- Please don't misinterpret my post. Nobody has to own a Lexus to belong to CL. But you should at least have a positive interest in Lexus or be a fan of Lexus...

I am a Lexus fan. They truly make great cars. However, I will not take it in the a$$ for them as you do. You think I care you cant stand me? Keep takin in in the a$$ want a new Lex, keep doin it like have been for God knows how long.

ComputerWiz: Well, I mostly just read through the LS and ES and IS forums, and the kits I see people draw on cars or find kits saying look nice, its just nasty. With a name like lexus, I though subtlty and sleek clean looks would be most prefered amoung owners, but it seems I see huge wings and giant body moldings considered cool. Youve got a damned fast car. Keep adding to it if you can.
Old 11-15-01, 06:20 AM
ducati
10th Gear

Only some like kits, DROD... I'm a fan of the Q-Ship look. No wings, no flashy rims, etc. Just plain Lexus styling and hopefully a turbo/SC under the hood
Old 11-15-01, 03:07 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Angry

I am a Lexus fan. They truly make great cars. However, I will not take it in the a$$ for them as you do. You think I care you cant stand me? Keep takin in in the a$$ want a new Lex, keep doin it like have been for God knows how long.

You freak. What ever happened to "I'm out."??? You seem jealous of those that own a Lexus and you harp on Lexus ever-so-carefully every chance you get, so again I ask: Why do you like hanging around here? What is it that you drive? Can you righty knock Lexus? Just wondering...

Last edited by SecPole14; 11-15-01 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-15-01, 03:45 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With a name like lexus, I though subtlty and sleek clean looks would be most prefered amoung owners, but it seems I see huge wings and giant body moldings considered cool.
I like mostly all the Lexus models, but you can check out the GS board for some clean, understated, well balanced between lux and performance rides there.

Just had to shout out for the GS.
Old 11-15-01, 04:47 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Dexter

Just had to shout out for the GS.
And rightfully so. The GS, IMHO, is the best ultra-luxury sport sedan on planet Earth.
Old 11-15-01, 07:42 PM
GGP_is
Driver School Candidate

Default A few misconceptions...

This is a great thread (at least when you guys are hurling insults at each other), but there have been a few inaccuracies...

Myth:
"The IS3 isn't selling very well... I'd like to see some hard numbers... my loaner was a IS, which signals it's not selling well... I gotta discount, which means it ain't selling well... blah blah blah"

Fact:
The IS3 is selling extremely well. I'll post the hard and clean sales numbers from Toyota tomorrow morning when I get back to my Bloomberg. The numbers are out there folks... just look. All the automakers release their sales numbers, both domestically and abroad, usually on a monthly basis. What Lexi is doing is creating artificial demand (e.g. they aren't loading the market with cars so as to maintain a level of supply that is just below the level of demand). As a result, they don't need to offer big discounts or the 0% financing like you are currently seeing with the Big3, or even on select Toyota models for that matter.

Now, where you're seeing a little difficulty in sales is in the e-shift category, because as someone else pointed out, frankly, the IS is considered a gateway car. Lexi desperately wants to create long term, multi-purchase relationships with buyers, and studies show that, well, we all get old, and as a result, we tend to end up with automatic transmissions sooner or later (I hope to buck this trend for as long as humanly possible, thank you). There is a huge number of young buyers such as myself who wouldn't even enter the showroom to look at an IS until they came out with the five speed. And now that Lexi has done the sensible thing and delivered on the five speed, there has been an incredible surge in demand for the five speed IS product, and e-shift sales are suffering. So, Lexi was trying to push the automatic on a car that was basically geared toward young tuners who prefer a five speed, and that's why you're seeing a lot of e-shift loaners these days.

Furthermore, the five-speed will account for only 20% of the 2002 IS3 production in the US, which amounts to about 4800 cars. There were only 28 five-speeds on the ship that brought my GGP five-speed over to the east coast from Japan, and all of them where sold before the ship docked in Florida... that's only 28 five speeds for the entire southeast for the next two-three months, all sold before the buyer could even smell the escaine. How many Maximas or Altimas do you think hit the shores in that time? Hell, Bimmer has a plant in friggin South Carolina (if you want the roadster)... it's a two hour drive from my house. The IS isn't a car you just pick-up off the lot... any color you want. If you think IS3s aren't selling well, just try to buy one here on the east coast... you'll usually be waiting in a line 2-3 people deep... AND WE'RE IN A RECESSION!
Old 11-15-01, 08:21 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I did not read this post in a while, Real POWER is 290 HP whose 0-60 is in 6.3 sec not 340 hp 0-60 in 6.6 sec, that is garbage.

I really want to like Infiniti but the Maxima is JUST AS GOOD as the I35, period, live with it.

we all have our opinions, let's post em and be cool

Infiniti needs to make up it;s mind, luxury or sporty, not this I30t ot Q45t crap.

Correct, we all have our own opinions. But the fact is that you are an ignorant person for still believeing the Q is that "slow". Car and Driver has already tested it and got 5.9 seconds. How many times do you and I have to go over this?

You freak. What ever happened to "I'm out."??? You seem jealous of those that own a Lexus and you harp on Lexus ever-so-carefully every chance you get, so again I ask: Why do you like hanging around here? What is it that you drive? Can you righty knock Lexus? Just wondering...
I do not drive a lexus. Correct. However, I am not jealous. I am perfectly happy with my car (a prelude). Would I like to own a Lexus? Damn sure I would. I am a Lexus fan. I am not a blind fan who says they can do no wrong however. I dont trully understand your question of "can you righty knock Lexus". Ill assume you mean can I rightfully or truthfully knock Lexus. Yes, I can. I dont think they are making a clear direction in their styling. Does that mean they are ugly? No. IS is a gorgeous car. I forget how nice it is until I see it whiz by me. GS is also very nice. but the rest of the lineup does not have enough distinction between other cars and do not have a clear styling direction (IMO). But clearly, the public is quite happy with the way lexus is doing things. Their brand image is through the roof (Although I took a survey in my class today and out of 15 voters, Lexus got 3 1st place votes, good for 3rd place against BMW (1st place) MB (2nd) and Audi (4th)). Again, I am a lexus fan. I am a fan of nearly all the manufacturerers out there. But I dont think Lexus is neccesarily the only company that exists.

And BTW, I would not compare the I35 to the IS. IMO, they are in 2 different ball parks.
Old 11-16-01, 04:58 AM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

But the fact is that you are an ignorant person for still believeing the Q is that "slow". Car and Driver has already tested it and got 5.9 seconds. How many times do you and I have to go over this?
This is actually what was in Car and Driver:
"...the Q45 will hit 60 mph in 5.9 seconds, according to Infiniti's estimates. We don't doubt it. "

Ironically, I found no actual C & D 0-60 tested time in either the magazine or on their online site. They simply agree with Infiniti's numbers, which doesn't seem too accurate considering another magazine (Road and Track) tested the Q45 and LS430 head-to-head and the LS won, in almost every speed and braking category, despite 50 less hp, less torque, and weighs 200 lbs. more. But I assume you were too ignorant to notice that, huh ?
Old 11-16-01, 12:39 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Default Re: A few misconceptions...

Originally posted by GGP_is
This is a great thread (at least when you guys are hurling insults at each other), but there have been a few inaccuracies...

Myth:
"The IS3 isn't selling very well... I'd like to see some hard numbers... my loaner was a IS, which signals it's not selling well... I gotta discount, which means it ain't selling well... blah blah blah"

Fact:
The IS3 is selling extremely well. I'll post the hard and clean sales numbers from Toyota tomorrow morning when I get back to my Bloomberg. The numbers are out there folks... just look. All the automakers release their sales numbers, both domestically and abroad, usually on a monthly basis. What Lexi is doing is creating artificial demand (e.g. they aren't loading the market with cars so as to maintain a level of supply that is just below the level of demand). As a result, they don't need to offer big discounts or the 0% financing like you are currently seeing with the Big3, or even on select Toyota models for that matter.

Now, where you're seeing a little difficulty in sales is in the e-shift category, because as someone else pointed out, frankly, the IS is considered a gateway car. Lexi desperately wants to create long term, multi-purchase relationships with buyers, and studies show that, well, we all get old, and as a result, we tend to end up with automatic transmissions sooner or later (I hope to buck this trend for as long as humanly possible, thank you). There is a huge number of young buyers such as myself who wouldn't even enter the showroom to look at an IS until they came out with the five speed. And now that Lexi has done the sensible thing and delivered on the five speed, there has been an incredible surge in demand for the five speed IS product, and e-shift sales are suffering. So, Lexi was trying to push the automatic on a car that was basically geared toward young tuners who prefer a five speed, and that's why you're seeing a lot of e-shift loaners these days.

Furthermore, the five-speed will account for only 20% of the 2002 IS3 production in the US, which amounts to about 4800 cars. There were only 28 five-speeds on the ship that brought my GGP five-speed over to the east coast from Japan, and all of them where sold before the ship docked in Florida... that's only 28 five speeds for the entire southeast for the next two-three months, all sold before the buyer could even smell the escaine. How many Maximas or Altimas do you think hit the shores in that time? Hell, Bimmer has a plant in friggin South Carolina (if you want the roadster)... it's a two hour drive from my house. The IS isn't a car you just pick-up off the lot... any color you want. If you think IS3s aren't selling well, just try to buy one here on the east coast... you'll usually be waiting in a line 2-3 people deep... AND WE'RE IN A RECESSION!
Your post was a very good read, you make excellent points. I live in SC, and it's a damn shame to see BMW charging $50,000+ for SUVs made here. Talk about perstige . I heard that BMW was thinking about moving 3-series or 5-series production to SC, too. That would not be cool to say the least...
Old 11-17-01, 07:58 AM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Look bub, I am a fan of all cars too, but facts are facts and I'll state a lot of things people think, but will not say.

Exactly my point! FACTS ARE FACTS!!! yet you choose to ignore the fact that the Q45 does perform as advertised and it is ridiculous.

BTW that is twice you have called me ignorant in this thread

Take aguess why? You are being a hypocrite by ignoring the facts and saying you just go by facts.

I do not think the Q is slow, any car doing 0-60 under 8 secs is reasonably fast but for Infiniti to be bragging on all this 340 hp crap and the car is not living up to it's numbers, well let's say the public is not fooled

Again, go read Car and Driver. Ignoring the facts. And to reply to that other guy saying they'll (C/D) will believe Infiniti on its claim, that is the wrong article. That was simply a preview that came out before the Q was released. Two issues later, they tested it.

Q45 does have the WORLDEST BRIGHTEST HEADLIGHTS (ohhhhh, ohhhhh I want one now), only to see the LS 430s REAR BADGES that much better:eek:
Again, ignoring the facts. Read for once and maybe you'd be informed.

Last edited by DROD2045; 11-17-01 at 08:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Oh crap! is the new I35 serious threat ?