IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Oh crap! is the new I35 serious threat ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-01, 06:52 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and as for the I35...I plan on going to testdrive one sometime, just so I can try it out! It looks like Nissan is on the right track, and it would be nice for someone to give Lexus a run for their money!

But I'll be sticking with my Lexus...I don't see an I35 as a "high-horsepower-able" type car.

SR
Old 11-08-01, 06:58 AM
Sentinel
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new maxima/ altima v6/ 350Z/ and is35 all share the same base engine. It will be high horseable. the 350Z is reported to be 280hp.
Sentinel
Old 11-08-01, 07:07 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Sentinel
The new maxima/ altima v6/ 350Z/ and is35 all share the same base engine. It will be high horseable. the 350Z is reported to be 280hp.
Sentinel
My SC3 <~~Almost 500hp today, over 500 on the bottle, and going for 1000hp in less than a year.

That's what I mean by high horse

SR
Old 11-08-01, 09:43 AM
BimmerLexus
Rookie

Default Re: Re: 2003 G35?

Originally posted by ducati

You should have driven a properly broken-in IS300, Joe. I felt the same as you after I drove a new off-the-lot IS300 5-speed. The stick was notchy, slow, and not at all smooth. I was very disappointed, as my current car (at that time) was an Integra Type R which had the tightest, most positive tranny I have ever owned.

At the time, I had a BMW 325 on order, and it was coming in a week later. I loved the IS, except for that awful stick. I have a friend that works for Honda (engineer), and gets to drive just about every (fun) car on the planet, and he mentioned that the IS's stick was great but ONLY after a few thousand miles were put on it.

I took that as gospel (he is a helluva enthusiast), and since I felt the IS300 crushed the 325, I decided to take a chance and buy it.

Now, 2500 miles later, I can safely say he was 100% correct. My 5-speed was gritty and nasty for the first 1000 miles, and it started to smooth out significantly after that. It still feels like it's breaking in, so perhaps it will get even better. No matter, it's great now so I'm not worrying.

I agree with earlier comments; the IS is simply not the same type of car as a high-horsepower FWD beast. And unless you drive the tires off your cars regularly (me ) you will probably never get the benefit of RWD. Yes, I think the IS could use more power, something in the lines of the M3 would be fine, thank you But for me, handling finesse and fun-to-drive quotient (with a dose of lux thrown in) are most important--and for that, the IS beats everything in it's price class hands down.
I wish my Lexus sale guy knew that...

Anyway...I wouldn't have gotten a $3500 discount on a 2002 stick like I did on the auto(E Shift).

For about $10,000 less than the 330i I was going to buy, you are correct. The IS does have short commings compared to the Bimmer, but $10,000 erases most. In most driving circumstances, it is just fine.

It gets unsettled where the 3 dosen't but that's at 10/10ths. And the interior is still isn't $30K range...2002 is better, but ...you know...it goes back to, We expect more from Toyota since we know what they can do.

Joe
Old 11-08-01, 12:25 PM
ducati
10th Gear

Joe,

I didn't get $3500 off but I did get $2500 off without even haggling! IIRC it came to about $31,300. Loaded w/out NAV GGP/Black.

You're right when comparing it to the 330i. My buddy has a 330Ci, which actually got me interested in BMWs. I test drove both, liked the 330 better (of course) but his stickered at $42K :eek:

So I ordered a 325... After driving the IS 5-speed, my mind was instantly made up; the IS trounces the 325 for less $$ (configured similarly), and for $10K less than a 330, it's a no-brainer for me. I asked the salesman what he could do to put me in the IS instead of walking for the Bimmer.. When he dropped a piece of paper with that number on it I nearly sh|t myself.

I left that night, didn't let him know I was REALLY thinking about the IS... But how could I drive a 325 w/pleather, no seat-heat, and none of the lux for the same cost??

I do like the 3's interior better, and I do think the IS's suspension gets goofy right on the edge. But I honestly believe it outhandles my bud's 330Ci.. And it sure is a helluva lot more fun to drive. The only thing the 330 has (besides a nicer interior) is more power.

Which a SC would take care of
Old 11-09-01, 01:26 AM
methodmf
Pole Position

I've heard rumors of a possible IS400 coming??
anyone have the insight on that or they are simply "just rumors"
Old 11-09-01, 06:47 AM
ducati
10th Gear

I am assuming that means the GS400 V8... That would be a mistake, IMO.

The IS300 is not all about straight-line speed, and a heavy V8 in front is not the recipe for lithe handling (the IS's strong suit, IMO).

Now an all-aluminum I6 would be great; it would improve weight distribution, allow Toyota to finetune handling, and maybe they could get 230-240hp out of it
Old 11-09-01, 07:22 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Nissan could make a car with 340 hp and it would not live up to its potential (whoops they have done that)

Sorry trannies, they need to stop making power sucking automatics period. Lexus is fine making 290 REAL hp cause we have the best trannies on the planet PERIOD.

Logically speaking, of course the IS 300 would look better stock than a GS simpley because 17" rims are standard on the IS and it is a much smaller car........

But I would not trade the GS's "Bubble Eyes" for anything......

And i actually like the new I35, not bad looking and the interior is pretty nice....
If the the Q isnt making real hp, why does it do 0-60 in 5.9 seconds? how many times do you deny that fact? I35 in 6.9 seconds. SC430 claims to be 5.9 seconds but with all that weight, 6.3 tops has been its best. Audi S8, 360hp, 0-60 in 6.1 seconds but also 5.8 seconds. Define real power and please, stop being ignorant.
Old 11-09-01, 07:27 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Originally posted by redhwangso
Man... the I35 ... its fast! for sure! but looks wise... something is missing. I would say that the IS looks way better. everyone is saying that the I35 or the G35 is the supplement of the skyline that is not available for the U.S. market. All im saying is... let me know when the real SKYLINE is coming to the U.S. market! until then, the I35 or the G35 should be no threat to the IS dynasty! =)
The G35 is the real skyline. Maybe you mean GTR, that will no longer be called the Skyline GTR., just GTR. The Skyline has always been offered as a sedan. The G35 coupe is also coming. SO we are getting the real skyline. Check up on its history before speaking please.
Old 11-12-01, 11:41 PM
VQPOWER
Rookie

I'm sorry folks but I'm gonna have to say something in Nissan's defense here....

The IS and I35 are not comparable cars (even though the I35 has way more power and could smoke most IS's.)

The car the I35 does compare with is the new ES, which looks horrible in comparison, like "a cartoon character" which Motor Trend said, and that new ES has an anemic engine at best, jeez, how many years has the HP rating stayed at the same mediorcre 210?

Now compare the IS to the upcoming G35: RWD, 260+ HP, 6 spd manual.....and I'd say then you'd REALLY have a threat.

Or you compare it to the 2k2(or any 95+ 5spd Max, for that matter) Maxima 6spd(which really isn't in that class but offers WAY more HP), with 255hp also. I'd say you'd have a threat there.

Oh, and don't race a new Altima 3.5, especially a manual one. hehe...

And some of you need to stop thinking Lexus is so superior to Infiniti, it's right up top there with Lexus on the lists for quality, dealer service, etc. etc. I mean everyone has thier own opinions, but you can't deny facts.
Old 11-13-01, 02:44 AM
redhwangso
Rookie

i cant admit the fact, as of right now that the infini is up there with the lexus! i mean.... maybe the new Q might go along nicely with the LS430... however, daz it! in other categories, the Infinity is far more inferior to Lexus, who can compete with the SC430 and GS400? and dont be surprised to see the IS300 upgraded when upcoming 2003 or 2004, i think the trend for car HP is changing and infinity made the first move and busting out with highh powered cars, but just wait, if INfinity can go 260 hp, lexus can do 270. and i dunno, does a luxury car need that much HP as 260? r we racing here? luxury is suppose to be luxury! i dotn wanna see cars like Q45 and I30 boning out w/ porsche boxters and nsx's. it just doesnt seem right! i think infinity needs to make up its mind and set some cars to luxury or just pure sports (just like Lexus)

*** THIS IS JUST MY OPINION***
Old 11-13-01, 10:55 AM
VQPOWER
Rookie

Originally posted by redhwangso
i cant admit the fact, as of right now that the infini is up there with the lexus! i mean.... maybe the new Q might go along nicely with the LS430... however, daz it! in other categories, the Infinity is far more inferior to Lexus, who can compete with the SC430 and GS400? and dont be surprised to see the IS300 upgraded when upcoming 2003 or 2004, i think the trend for car HP is changing and infinity made the first move and busting out with highh powered cars, but just wait, if INfinity can go 260 hp, lexus can do 270. and i dunno, does a luxury car need that much HP as 260? r we racing here? luxury is suppose to be luxury! i dotn wanna see cars like Q45 and I30 boning out w/ porsche boxters and nsx's. it just doesnt seem right! i think infinity needs to make up its mind and set some cars to luxury or just pure sports (just like Lexus)

*** THIS IS JUST MY OPINION***
That's cool, but for me the more HP the better, and Infiniti is satifying my need. I wanna see luxo-cars smoking Porsce Boxters, thats why I want an S600, 0-60 in 5.4!!!!!!!! That's ridiculous.....god I want one though, I wouldn't be able to keep my foot off the floor.
Old 11-13-01, 12:28 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

You could always just turbo a SC300 or GS300...and easily get 0 - 60 in less than 4secs...

SR
Old 11-13-01, 03:16 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Originally posted by CmputerWiz
You could always just turbo a SC300 or GS300...and easily get 0 - 60 in less than 4secs...

SR

Um, no, its not that easy. Unless you have tons of $$. The fastest street legal car to my knowledge is a twin supercharged Corvette, 0-60 in 3.4 somethin seconds. I also read of the Hennesy Viper, some 600+hp, 0-60 in like 3.5 seconds. If it were that easy, a 5 second 0-60 sprint would not be considered fast. How can you say you dont care about power redhwangso? So you dont care if the IS has 100hp? You make power sound bad. Luxury is luxury. Some also like to have the luxury of power as well with their cars.

Last edited by DROD2045; 11-13-01 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-13-01, 06:54 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by DROD2045

Um, no, its not that easy. Unless you have tons of $$. The fastest street legal car to my knowledge is a twin supercharged Corvette, 0-60 in 3.4 somethin seconds. I also read of the Hennesy Viper, some 600+hp, 0-60 in like 3.5 seconds. If it were that easy, a 5 second 0-60 sprint would not be considered fast. How can you say you dont care about power redhwangso? So you dont care if the IS has 100hp? You make power sound bad. Luxury is luxury. Some also like to have the luxury of power as well with their cars.
Not easy? Well my car is turbo'd, it didn't cost a ton of money. Not to mention at least 4 others on here with turbo'ed cars...

MC Laren F1 can do that in 3.1sec...

Bugatti's new quad turbo beast does it in like 2.5sec

My car does it in the low 4's, best I got so far today is 4.2, and that's with no limited slip differential...so one wheel spins easy.

There's one dude on here with a SC that does 0-60 in like 1.9sec or something outrageous like that...800hp if I remember correctly correct.

SR

Quick Reply: Oh crap! is the new I35 serious threat ?