IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

03' Is300 Melting Dashboard!?!?!!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-07, 09:34 AM
Brainstorm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a good question, KPC. So far everyone with this problem has been from a southern state (Florida, Texas, Missouri, and So. Cal). No northerners have said a word. This is significant, because if the stickiness were caused by an applied chemical alone, one would expect complaints to be evenly distributed across the nation. There may be IS owners who apply various chemicals to their dashboard without ill effects, but they're not likely to show up in our thread and let us know, because they haven't had any problems.
Old 09-24-07, 03:50 PM
1RedSled
Driver School Candidate

I just can't accept the fact that what we use on our dashes is causing this mysterious condition. I mean it could be, but I just don't think that's the case. I'm leaning more towards a material defect than a cleaning chemical. I would have to say that pretty much all products that are on the market for interior cleaning/dressing will be safe for use on the IS dash. Or am I being naive???

I wonder if that is a cover on the airbag that can be removed? If so, then there might be a batch/lot number which could explain why some have the problem and others don't. Just a thought.
Old 09-24-07, 08:25 PM
Brainstorm
Driver School Candidate

1RedSled, I think we all agree with your contention that this problem is not caused by the application of store-bought cleaners, but has resulted from some inadequacy in design or manufacture. The reason we're even entertaining the discussion of applied chemicals is that some dealerships have inferred or outright stated that this is the culprit. Asking everyone on this thread whether they've used any dashboard cleaners is simply one of a battery of questions that enables us to all compare notes. It seems that some have not used cleaners at all. Everyone so far appears to live in a hot climate, and has a dashboard that's black (the most heat-absorbent color). Most complain of a problem with the passenger-side airbag in particular, though some have trouble with the entire dash. (By the way - since you asked - I've previously asked my dealer if the airbag simply has a face panel that can be replaced. They said 'no.' If the repair were that simple, I suspect we all would have done it.)
Old 10-15-07, 04:42 PM
Googone
Driver School Candidate

Default Make it stop!!

I am the original owner of a 2002 IS300 - I noticed my airbag cover looking weird probably 3 years ago. The rest of the dash/around the console is joining the melting game. I do live in Florida & the car stays out in the heat daily. Given I live in Florida, I faithfully use a sunshield. I have used the standard industry "dashboard sprays" - but this sounds like a bill Lexus should foot. I'm sorry & comforted to hear it's not just my car. Otherwise I love it, but trading is sounding good while I still have a hallway decent looking dashboard left.

My last attempt to remove some of the stickiness was by using "Goo gone". That made it a little better. Has anyone else tried the babyoil?
Old 10-16-07, 09:33 AM
Brainstorm
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Googone for weighing in on the discussion. As with other posts, it does seem like hot weather is a common factor. My concern though with applying Goo Gone is with exactly what it is you are removing. I don't believe a film or residue is descending on our dashboards and that we simply need to clean it off (not that you believe that either). I think it's more likely that this kind of cleaning is removing actual factory-applied material - something we shouldn't be expected to do as a part of regular maintenance.
Old 10-16-07, 10:58 AM
KPC
Pole Position

Lightbulb Wtf!@#$

Hey brainstorm, you posted before about lexus saying that the single panel piece over the airbag cannot be replaced. thats very odd that they say that because my dealer here in Pembroke Pines, FL gave me a brand new panel piece for free. Of course I to explain to them many times what the problem was and they didnt take any action until I just showed up at the dealer one day and showed them how it turns everything black..I smudged it a little onto my finger and thats when they admitted that something was wrong..(duhh)..but they ordered me a new airbag panel and called me to get it installed about 3 days later..my sticky dash problem was solved...just keep on them about it and if you have to sacrifice a part of your dash to prove to them that something is wrong..do it..lol..hope this helps

(P.S. - My IS WAS under warranty at the time when I had a sticky dash..probably the reason why I wasnt charged for anything)
Old 10-25-07, 04:19 AM
lws1
Driver School Candidate

Default Melting dash

I have the same melting problem and am in Florida. I just bought the car from Carmax and they are having someone come in to recondition the dash. Anyone familiar with that? I'm afraid it won't last and am not sure I even want them to do that. The car is a 2002 and probably is not under warranty for that. Maybe I'll try the Armor-all and baby oil. The whole dash seems to be a problem though. On my old Mercedes they use Vasoline. Any recommendations?
Old 10-26-07, 05:22 PM
Brainstorm
Driver School Candidate

KPC, you're right - I did say my dealer said the entire dashboard airbag - and not just a face panel - had to be replaced . I was just taking their word for it. In fact, they took their own word for it and replaced my airbag free of charge just yesterday. You could still be right though.

Also - unlike your car - mine was most likely beyond warranty, though arguably the problem predated expiration. Anyway, they handled it as a customer service item rather than any official admission that the product was defective. I'm very relieved after all the battle I've been through.

And one other thing, KPC: my new airbag matches the rest of my dashboard, though you said yours was lighter. I had the interior detailed at the same time (by Lexus), so I may never know if it matched initially, but it looks good now. (I neglected to ask what THEY use on the dash, but I'll bet they'd be willing to tell me.)
Old 10-26-07, 05:24 PM
Brainstorm
Driver School Candidate

KPC - one additional thought: my car is a 2002, and yours is a 2003. Was the separate face panel for a dashboard airbag a new idea with your year? Just asking.
Old 10-28-07, 07:47 AM
KPC
Pole Position

Oh Im sorry BrainStorm, they did replace my entire actuall airbag because the Panel Face is attatched to it...sorry for the mix up...
Old 10-29-07, 04:01 PM
lws1
Driver School Candidate

Well, Carmax is having their dashboard guy come in. He's supposed to lightly sand it and repaint. I can still return it and get my money back. I love everything else about the car. What should I do??? Any advice? I really want a wagon and they have a nice C320 but not what I really want. And I hate MB service. It's horrible! I could probably find an indie to work on it. The melting dash will definitely make me unhappy with this car... Lance
Old 10-31-07, 09:47 AM
Brainstorm
Driver School Candidate

lws1: RareSC repainted his dashboard himself, so maybe it's possible - though I don't recall if he was ultimately satisfied with the results.
Old 01-15-08, 08:13 AM
wayneh
8th Gear

I'm having the same problem with my 2002 IS300 Sportcross - but ONLY the cover on the airbag is melting (sticky, deteriorating, whatever).

My dealer is offering to repair it (rub it down then dye it) or replace the whole airbag, none of this under warranty of course.

Since there are several posts here with the same issue, can everyone with this problem respond with their resolution?

What finally happened, and are you happy?

Thanks.

P.S. I don't think being in a warm climate is the only issue. My car only has 38K miles and is garage kept and rarely parked in the sun...
Old 01-15-08, 08:38 AM
Brainstorm
Driver School Candidate

Wayne H,

I may have more posts on this thread than anyone else. I so strongly believed this problem was due to some inherent defect in the product that I just kept repeating my complaint to my dealership and at the national level. Ultimately my airbag was completely replaced at no charge, not because they conceded the validity of any of my arguments, but perhaps simply so I would go away. I think this resolution was fair, although in my case the final product doesn't look exactly as it might have if it were new. The color is slightly different (discernible only to someone who's looking for it), and the surrounding dashboard shows some small evidence of damage or distress from where the original airbag was removed. That's life though, and I'd say I'm reasonably satisfied. Sounds like your dealer has no intention of covering the cost of your contemplated repairs. That would frustrate me greatly.
Old 01-15-08, 11:39 AM
wayneh
8th Gear

Brainstorm -

It may not be too bad - I've called Lexus of America to complain and I'm pretty good at *****ing up a storm.

I'm leaning towards a new airbag too since I have no idea what a "repair" would look like.

I'm curious though what has been resolved for others too.

Seems that this is a known problem, even if it's not common. The Service Director at my Dealer said he's seen this a couple times, so Lexus must know too.

Thanks for the response.

Quick Reply: 03' Is300 Melting Dashboard!?!?!!?!?