IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

should i get an is300??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-06, 12:48 PM
pompy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i get an is300??

ok i dont even have my permit yet(4 months or so i should)....and like alot of people say its never bad to think ahead...so thats what im doing...as of right now im looking for cars that i would get (11k from a lawsuite and i got a job and around 18 months to save up) and the is300 is on the top of my list...

Im looking for like a luxury/ powerful car and this car looks like it could fit my goal...ill get to the point, do you think car would be a good car to work on(audio, engine, ect) and still be a nice luxury car??Are there any HUGE problems?? and if you have any questions or anything just say so, i kno i might be young but i know a large deal about cars and how to treat them..

thanks in-a-head

-steve
Old 07-05-06, 10:21 AM
THINKtank
Driver

yea you should.. after the jdm fad..or whatever you call it.. the next thing is gonna be "VIP" style.. itll be nice. The best way i could decribe it is JDM bling haha. Youll already have the hard part done (gettingt he car in the first place) if you get the car.

ive been driving my is300 (well its my moms) since i was 16.. and still drive it a lot even though i have my own car (an STi). all i can say to you is..be responsible..it may seem like a lot of fun to go drifting or do donuts especially after that damn Fast and the Furious Movie.. but remember these things kill.
Old 07-07-06, 09:39 PM
voodoo76
Driver School Candidate

I totally think you should buy an IS300. I've owned mine for about 3 weeks and not once have I regretted purchasing this car. I too have done a lot of research on cars and when I was ready to take the ones I had narrowed down for a spin, The IS could do no wrong. Not only is it sporty and reliable. It has luxuries that only Lexus could make so you sigh with satisfaction every time you get your car. Keep in mind you've set quite a high bar for yourself in considering this vehicle. And if you do buy one, you won't regret it.
Old 07-08-06, 02:39 AM
StickMan
Driver School Candidate

Honestly I would just get a Honda Civic as a first car and just build it up. But yeah the IS300 is a really good car. Not a real VIP platform though.
Old 07-08-06, 10:31 AM
toyotech84
Rookie

Dude, get a decent used toyota or something, gettin a lexus is nice but with the cost of maintanance parts, mods and other things.......it can get really expensive. How do you plan on paying for insurance? not to bring you down, but a RWD car in NJ snow is not gonna be fun if you dont know how to handle it. snow tires and snow mode on dont mean jack if you cant drive the car. Maybe consider a somewhat used import and save up for maybe a 2nd gen IS for luxury and performance.
Old 07-13-06, 11:16 AM
revsteve
Rookie

Originally Posted by toyotech84
a RWD car in NJ snow is not gonna be fun if you dont know how to handle it.
Not to mention NJ has the highest insurance rates of any state in the country.

Also - RWD is something best reserved for later in life. It really does take a lot of discipline to stay off the gas in those wet/frozen conditions. If you don't there goes your Lexus.

Sorry for the flames, I don't believe children should be allowed to drive anything with more than 2 cylinders and 25 horsepower.
Old 07-18-06, 05:30 PM
A.Tech
Driver School Candidate

Wait! You drive your moms IS300 more than an STi? Are you like.... nutz?

300HP & AWD too much for ya? lol

Cause I sure as hell would not be driving a IS300 is I owned a STi. They do weight about the same and I think the IS300 looks better but the 215HP RWD car imo would be tough take over an STi. lol
Old 07-20-06, 11:40 AM
formosa927
Driver

The car is powerful and reliable. i am loving it.

however, it sounds like you are pushing your own limit to own the car. i think it is a bad idea to devote your whole life on the car. i think you should get something cheaper to make your life easier. btw, IS300's insurace rate is expensive and fuel efficient is not great.
Old 07-24-06, 09:34 AM
THINKtank
Driver

Originally Posted by A.Tech
Wait! You drive your moms IS300 more than an STi? Are you like.... nutz?

300HP & AWD too much for ya? lol

Cause I sure as hell would not be driving a IS300 is I owned a STi. They do weight about the same and I think the IS300 looks better but the 215HP RWD car imo would be tough take over an STi. lol
No, when i first got it, i had ricers trying to race me all the time, but ONE time i actually did it...we got pulled over. Spent the night in jail and i had the Sti impounded for a month..

It brings too much attention to myself, and has brought me more trouble than i wanted. I drive it on the weekends, but since my mom doesnt use the IS anyways..
Old 01-12-09, 02:11 PM
cabinbass
Driver School Candidate

I did this once to my car and failed horribly. Wish this DIY was around my time.
Old 01-12-09, 04:26 PM
Deefourtay
Driver School Candidate

You won't regret getting a IS300.. Bought mine last week, the most chill car i've owned.. which is a reason why I got it in automatic. Just give it TLC, and it will do the same for you.
Old 01-12-09, 09:11 PM
I<3myIS300
Driver

dont let them get u done man if u got the money and u feel its wat u want get it, its definitely an amazing car and i wouldnt have bought anything over mine. like i said if u can afford get it just dont be completely retarded with it. even i sometimes cant help myself =) an amazing car for sure tho
Old 01-12-09, 10:04 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

first, the IS300 is a great car. really no complaints. well besides i could use a couple more inches of leg room. but for your first car. i think the insurance rates are gonna kill ya. and if you want something you can modify and customize to your taste, a honda is going to be FAR more cost effective.

keep in mind at your age, if you were to wreck a honda the insurance company wouldnt freak out. you wreck or total a lexus. they will drop you and slap ur mamma.

if you want a fun car, with a strong engine, and a few body mod options, and something that your friends would drool over....get the IS300. just keep in mind how much repair and mod costs are. you get more bang for your buck with a 4 cyl honda. you get lots more attention(good and bad) with the is300.

and what the guy above said about people trying to race you...it is true where i live also. last thing you want is your beauty impounded. here in colorado springs. its a 1 strike and your out rule.....they impound the car and use it for fire department training. Burn baby Burn.

just things to think about. good luck either way!
Old 01-12-09, 10:07 PM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

Holy dead thread bump. this was posted in '06

LOL
Old 01-12-09, 11:58 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by revsteve
Sorry for the flames, I don't believe children should be allowed to drive anything with more than 2 cylinders and 25 horsepower.
I'm not interested in thread jacking or staring any sort of war but I feel tremendously compelled to mention that I have huge issue with this statement.

RE OP: The IS30 is an awesome car. No major problems, if you do a search or just scroll back through the pages in the 1IS section you should come across anything you need to know. Even if your IS is 'broken' it will never leave you stranded or even threaten to function badly; the worst it will do is politely remind you that it really needs to be looked at.

They're not exactly cheep to fix but since they rarely need fixing it works out alright.

edit: I just realized how old the thread is

Quick Reply: should i get an is300??