IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model
View Poll Results: 1st or 2nd generation IS looks better?
The exterior of the 1st IS looks better than the 2IS.
32.39%
The exterior of the 2IS looks better than the 1st IS.
20.65%
The interior of the 1st IS looks better than the 2IS.
8.10%
The interior of the 2IS looks better than the 1st IS.
34.41%
The overall look of the 1st IS looks better than the 2IS.
33.60%
The overall look of the 2IS looks better than the 1st IS.
51.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Which generation IS do you like better?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-07, 10:24 PM
lexneffect
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned an older generation IS300 and really liked it a lot. However, I still like the 2nd generation one better in every way. The interior is much nicer on the newer one for sure but both cars are nice for their prospective years.

Actually, my wife got her car totalled recently and we're looking for an IS250. Wasn't her fault.....someone who was playing around the stereo didn't see the cars ahead come to a stop.
Old 04-09-07, 09:50 PM
Ac93sc
Driver

I like the 2is but i love the IS-F more for its extremes..........lol
Old 04-17-07, 12:56 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cardonafm
Well the 1G-is300 looks better than the 2G-is. The new IS looks like a darn luxury toyota camry. The inside is nice that's about it. I wish the old lexus IS300 had a MP3 player adapter. Then what really sucks about the 2ndIS is that you can only get the 300hp IS350 with automotic drive what a shame!!! where's the fun in driving a sports luxury car with that!!!! ohh but the paddle shifter's are cool!! yeah right!!! they blow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got mad just writting this.
haha, what the hell?

anyways, like ISMine, i really wanted a 1st gen IS, so i kept checking out used 1is prices online, and when i finally went to check one out. boom, the 2is was staring right at me as soon as i entered the driveway. i refused to get a 1is after that. it sucks not having stick, but after driving the car--i was just hooked. besides my IS' playmate is gonna be a stickshift. [e92 ] so in december i got my 2nd gen and enjoy it. here's a pic i took on my phone a few days ago. notice the 1is in the background. i just love how the front end smiles at you =D
Attached Thumbnails Which generation IS do you like better?-0414071901-small-.jpg  
Old 05-01-07, 05:16 PM
lexodus
Rookie

Originally Posted by voodoo76
I am saying the first gen-IS'. Not because I own one. But I often sit outside and stare at my car and enjoy the uniqueness of it's look. I love the look and how it drives. It's a great car!!!
LoL ditto.
Old 05-08-07, 10:05 PM
joooowan
Driver School Candidate

interior = 2IS.

exterior = 1IS, it just look unique.
Old 05-23-07, 05:23 PM
Mr. IS
Driver School Candidate

I like the 1st Gen IS better. Why? It looks like an IS should…young and sporty (i.e. rear lights, rims, yellow fog lights, character line, standard Xenon). Plus the interior is great with optional piping, suede, and leather. I love the 2nd IS but the first just looks more special.

The new one, however, has its benefits. Its body is higher and wider and looks more modern. Its technology crushes the 1st Gen IS. Its main flaw is its side view mirrors. They look too big for the car.
Old 05-24-07, 09:35 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. IS
I like the 1st Gen IS better. Why? It looks like an IS should…young and sporty (i.e. rear lights, rims, yellow fog lights, character line, standard Xenon). Plus the interior is great with optional piping, suede, and leather.

Originally Posted by Mr. IS
The new one, however, has its benefits. Its body is higher and wider and looks more modern. Its technology crushes the 1st Gen IS. Its main flaw is its side view mirrors. They look too big for the car.
I second this thought as well, but ima add: maybe they should have called it something other than IS. 2IS isn't really an evolution, it's a whole new car, the only thing 1IS & 2IS really have in common is they're in the same size class and made by Lexus/Toyota (oh, and they both have 4 doors, and wheels, and ... ok yea we see what im talking about)
Old 05-25-07, 12:15 AM
LexXxuS101
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cardonafm
Then what really sucks about the 2ndIS is that you can only get the 300hp IS350 with automotic drive what a shame!!! where's the fun in driving a sports luxury car with that!!!!.
actually first generation IS300 comes with 230hp,7.6 0-60, when second geration IS350 is 306hp, 5.3 0-60 come on, much faster then firstGEN. We talking about stock cars not modified. And about fun drive I think secGEN handles better then first out the box. I personally like 3.5 L 2GR-FSE V6 .
Yes one thing sucks about it that its only comes with automatic(IS350)

Last edited by LexXxuS101; 05-25-07 at 12:19 AM.
Old 05-30-07, 10:10 PM
bzyrice
Driver

i like the new is better.. but i like the old is price better.. lol ..
Old 06-27-07, 06:32 AM
Dash2110
Driver School Candidate

Much more of a fan of the 1st Gen. The 2nd Gen is following the recent trend of car companies of pouring vehicles onto the market that all look alike. Scion, Camry, ES...all these pop into my head when I look at the 2nd Gen IS. With the 1st Gen, they had something unique on their hands.

Just look at the new G35s for example. I loved the previous Gen, now the new one reminds me of the new Ms and Altimas. I can think of dozens of other examples.
Old 07-11-07, 05:07 PM
BernieIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There have been many good points made in this thread.

1. The new IS is a Lexus and not a Toyota.
2. The original IS has classic styling.
3. The styling of the original differentiates it from the other Lexus models

These are just a few points. All in all the cars were designed for two different purposes. The newer model is designed as a luxury sport sedan, the original model was not designed for this purpose. The luxury aspect was added to the car to sell it in the States to compete with the 3 series BMW. When they found that the car was a bit below what the typical BMW driver was looking for they designed and released the newer car. Now the newer car is more luxurious and more conservative than the one before but has some newer technology to compete with BMW.

I like both of them for different reasons. I have never driven either 2nd gen. I love my car, I guess I have a bias toward it. Until I have something to compare it to 1st gen all the way.
Old 08-25-07, 11:00 PM
ksoazn
Driver

i just like new IS250 because of the gas mile it get
i like exterior of old IS
look younger
2nd is look too lady for me
Old 09-19-07, 06:57 PM
kindred6ul
Driver

I love my 2IS, but i will never think it's better than the 1st Gen. I love the 1st gen and for some reason i respect it more because it's alot more aftermarket friendly.
Old 10-02-07, 10:34 AM
AACstyle
Former Vendor

I can say without bias that the IS300 is more aesthetically attractive and performance oriented. The 2IS is more Luxurious and has REALLY cool features
Old 10-14-07, 03:01 AM
Necessary
Driver School Candidate

I like the center stack more in the 2nd IS. The 1st one way waaaay to toyota. to be called a luxury brands. Actually I wouldve settled for a digital Hvac. Usually ***** are associated with low end models. and Vol control on wheel wouldve been nice too..other than those two things i like 1st gen IS. oh yea love the gauge cluster but hate the red on red at least the needles couldve been a different.

Quick Reply: Which generation IS do you like better?