IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

please help!!! :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-05, 07:02 PM
miss_IS300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help!!! :)

i have a 2001 IS300 and she has no engine mods except an exhaust.

well just 2 weeks (june 16) ago after letting her sit for a day or two i started her up and she started sputtering a little and blowing out a little bit of smoke. after the car warmed up the sputtering a smoking went away. we thought that it was because some oil went somewhere where it shouldn't have because my car was jacked up kind of weird and it was just burning off since it went away all all.

later on that weekend i started her up on sunday after letting her sit for a day and this time it did it again but it sounded like a wrx this time. she was puffing out blue-ish white smoke that had a very distinctive smell of raw fuel to it. i turned it off then turned it back on again after a second to see if it would go away. this time it sounded worse and the air was filled with the smoke and the smell of fuel. the CEL light flashed on for a second then turned off. as soon as i turned it off again and turned it back on the car was running normal as if nothing had happened. please keep in mind that all this was happening after the car sat around for a day and the engine was cold.

i took it out to lexus of concord(ugh) the following week and the technicians couldn't diagnose the problem since they couldn't duplicate the sputtering. the service advisor that i spoke to out there was also just plain rude and not helpful.

fast forward to this past 4th of july weekend. we drove the car up to sacramento from where i live (roughly 120 miles) and she was running fine. we went home and i let my car sit for 2-3 hours while i took a nap. when i woke up i started my car and this time she started puffing and idling all weird a little bit but it went away after a few seconds. so i start out on the road and right before i go over this overpass by my house my car starts sputtering and smoking really bad and i notice a power loss between 50-60 miles an hour. i pull over and this time the CEL has turned on and the trac light is flashing on and off.

the following day we take it to get a diagnostic test since the CEL was on and it read that it had a random misfire @ 52 mph. we take it out to lexus of concord (ugh again) and this time their code reader got the same thing that we got and my service advisor (different guy) wanted to keep the car overnight to do some "extensive driving" to diagnose the problem.

well my service advisor called me this morning at work and tells me that my car is running fine now. they cleared the code yesterday and now the CEL is not turning on at all and they checked the sparked plugs and everything is gapped properly. they are unable to duplicate the sputtering and smoking and they cannot detect the power loss. there is obviously something wrong though since my car is doing all that smoking and the CEL turned on in the first place.

sorry it's so long but please help any and all suggestions are welcome thank you in advance

BTW, lexus of concord sucks avoid service advisor dave crawford and that white lady at all costs. i'll save the story for later.
Old 07-11-05, 08:52 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by miss_IS300
i have a 2001 IS300 and she has no engine mods except an exhaust.

well just 2 weeks (june 16) ago after letting her sit for a day or two i started her up and she started sputtering a little and blowing out a little bit of smoke. after the car warmed up the sputtering a smoking went away. we thought that it was because some oil went somewhere where it shouldn't have because my car was jacked up kind of weird and it was just burning off since it went away all all.

later on that weekend i started her up on sunday after letting her sit for a day and this time it did it again but it sounded like a wrx this time. she was puffing out blue-ish white smoke that had a very distinctive smell of raw fuel to it. i turned it off then turned it back on again after a second to see if it would go away. this time it sounded worse and the air was filled with the smoke and the smell of fuel. the CEL light flashed on for a second then turned off. as soon as i turned it off again and turned it back on the car was running normal as if nothing had happened. please keep in mind that all this was happening after the car sat around for a day and the engine was cold.

i took it out to lexus of concord(ugh) the following week and the technicians couldn't diagnose the problem since they couldn't duplicate the sputtering. the service advisor that i spoke to out there was also just plain rude and not helpful.

fast forward to this past 4th of july weekend. we drove the car up to sacramento from where i live (roughly 120 miles) and she was running fine. we went home and i let my car sit for 2-3 hours while i took a nap. when i woke up i started my car and this time she started puffing and idling all weird a little bit but it went away after a few seconds. so i start out on the road and right before i go over this overpass by my house my car starts sputtering and smoking really bad and i notice a power loss between 50-60 miles an hour. i pull over and this time the CEL has turned on and the trac light is flashing on and off.

the following day we take it to get a diagnostic test since the CEL was on and it read that it had a random misfire @ 52 mph. we take it out to lexus of concord (ugh again) and this time their code reader got the same thing that we got and my service advisor (different guy) wanted to keep the car overnight to do some "extensive driving" to diagnose the problem.

well my service advisor called me this morning at work and tells me that my car is running fine now. they cleared the code yesterday and now the CEL is not turning on at all and they checked the sparked plugs and everything is gapped properly. they are unable to duplicate the sputtering and smoking and they cannot detect the power loss. there is obviously something wrong though since my car is doing all that smoking and the CEL turned on in the first place.

sorry it's so long but please help any and all suggestions are welcome thank you in advance

BTW, lexus of concord sucks avoid service advisor dave crawford and that white lady at all costs. i'll save the story for later.
lol they would of been able to pick up history codes if the mil turned on then off...as for loss of power sounds like to me injecors are going bad...and for the blue smoke...2jz and lexus are not known of bad valve guids
Old 07-23-05, 07:18 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Blue smoke (from what I've seen) usually means oil is getting in somewhere (usually somewhere like the exhaust side of things... from memory).

The sputtering and loss of power is the misfire you were talking about. In my case it was a dodgy aftermarket alarm install that did the trick (shorted out some wiring to cylinder 2) so I was running on 5 cylinders (1JZGTE motor).