IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Stock Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-01, 11:09 AM
scuba821

I am in the looking to buy a car within the next 6 months, and I am looking at both the CL-s and the IS300.

One of the biggest complaints I've heard from CL-S owners is that the Bose systems sucks. How is the stock system in the lex? If it had one weakness what would it be?

Not enough power?
Not enough Bass
No mids
or no highs?

just looking for opinions.....
Old 06-26-01, 11:21 AM
vlad_a

I can't say I'm too proud of the IS system, but I've heard good replies to the quality of the sound.
It does have a problem w/ CDs jamming up on some people. I do get an occasional error reading CDs, but I always got mine out. Then, again, I'm using home burnt CDs that have been through a lot.

I've been told (by the BMW people) that it's better than Harmon Kardon in the 3 series.

Overall, it's a good quality system. Just go to the dealership and try it out. I think, you'll like it.
Old 06-26-01, 11:55 AM
scoot557
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the stock stereo in the IS is a 6 cd in dash changer, 240 watts peak. while its not 240 RMS(the mark levinson sound system), its still a rather impressive system. the sound staging and quality are much better than regular and even some aftermarket systems.
the difference between peak & RMS can be explained by this

RMS = root-mean square - in layman's terms it is the continuous average power. you are guaranteed this much clean power at all times.

peak - max output at any given interval. while you are not guaranteed this continuous power, it can pump out up to 240 watts of sound at any given thud or thump. it isnt a constant 240 watts, but a 'peak'

i think the stock IS system is great and the quality is top notch even when turned up loud, besides - its lexus "relentless pursuit of perfection"

i am unfamiliar with the bose system in the acura, however i have owned a bose system in my maxima. it was pretty decent, but upgrading to anything aftermarket is a pain. bose uses impedance matched speakers to specific amplifiers, so upgrading is a rather difficult procedure. each speaker tends to have its own amplifier, which, if upgraded to an aftermarket stereo, generally needs to be bypassed thus losing any benefit of the stock system. just my 2¢

while wattage is a main part of any system - sound staging and THD(total harmonic distortion) are also vital. the IS stock system has <.01 THD for all driven channels - anything less than .1% is inaudible

if i missed anything or just plain screwed up lemme know
Old 06-26-01, 12:35 PM
SeattleSheila
Rookie

I'm very pleased with the system in the IS300 (It's a Fujitsu 10, if you're interested...we all found out after a member of is300.net took his car apart to see and even supplied pictures!)

For a stock system it really has range and quality. (Even though I'm "old" for an IS300 owner, I like to "crank it up".) My father is an electronics expert and has a wide range of experience with audio systems. He concurs.

There have been some complaints about the quality of FM reception. That is going to depend upon where you are, etc.

I had one error message on the CD changer in the past 9 months, but no other problems. I don't use burnt CDs, but I do use the CD player every day.

But there's no test like listening for yourself. Take that test drive and bring your own CD!
Old 06-26-01, 12:45 PM
Accord-R
Rookie

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll put it in easy terms. The stock IS system is awesome, has a nice range and some people think I have subs in the car. This is a fact, every person who's been in my car think I have an aftermarket system, that it sounds so good. And these are people with 10,000 dollar systems in their cars!
Old 06-26-01, 01:00 PM
mjdart
Driver

Thumbs up IS Stereo System

I just came from a 500 watt Monsoon system in my 2000 WS6 Ram Air and it was good but not that close to the system installed in the IS. The Nakamichi in the LS models is very-very good so I can only imagine the Mark Levinson system. I do miss my 12 disc cd changer from the T/A but the six disc in dash in the IS 300 is very nice. I also miss the steering wheel stereo/cd controls I had with the Pontiac. I think you'll be pleased with the stock system. Anybody know who makes it, is it the same people who make the Lexus Premium Sound System I heard in an LS 400?
Old 06-26-01, 01:52 PM
mjdart
Driver

Unhappy Bose resting on past laurels

In 1985 bought a new loaded Corvette with the then new BOSE automotive system. I read alot about it then and it was actually engineered to the specific cockpit of the Vette and yes it was truly a magnificent system. I don't believe they go through near the engineering they did for that early Corvette application that they do on all the different models now featuring the BOSE Stereo Systems.
Old 02-12-10, 04:22 PM
EDTUN3R
Lead Lap

The Is300 Sound is pretty decent could use some bass like the SC's do