IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Infiniti 's future IS300 comp.

Old 06-21-01, 03:06 PM
Herzog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.motortrend.com/july01/g35/g35_f.html

Rear wheel drive,more HP,hmmmm..........
Old 06-21-01, 04:31 PM
DtEW

Arrow

This topic has already been beaten to death just a few days ago here:

https://www.clublexus.com/vb/showthr...threadid=16256

And don't take everything you read (esp. from MotorTrend) for granted. The G35 is considerably bigger than the IS300, almost the size (and probably, the weight) of the 5-series/GS/E-class. With the required 5-mph bumpers for North America it will probably come even closer to the mid-size luxury class. Despite all their speculation, no magazine has any solid info on how much the production version is going to weigh, how much power it will really come with, nor how much Infiniti is going to charge for it.

So is it an IS competitor or GS competitor? That's been the topic of debate and is by no means settled.
Old 06-21-01, 06:05 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Technically the G35 will be competing with both but for the price of The IS300's. For some reason you dont want to accept my knowledge of whats happening with this car. I know what will be. MotorTrend is actually a good source for future info as they have thier future forecast page that is nearly all correct. Anyway, We know its comign with a 3.5 V6 with at least 260hp. The weight is 3,100 lbs. Price will be high 20's for base price. beaten to death? It seems that your mind is so since you continually deny what this car is.
Old 06-21-01, 06:55 PM
DtEW

Originally posted by DROD2045
For some reason you dont want to accept my knowledge of whats happening with this car. I know what will be.
Let's bookmark this post and come back to it when the production specs are actually out.

MotorTrend is actually a good source for future info as they have thier future forecast page that is nearly all correct. Anyway, We know its comign with a 3.5 V6 with at least 260hp. The weight is 3,100 lbs. Price will be high 20's for base price. beaten to death? It seems that your mind is so since you continually deny what this car is.
Your "knowledge," (especially after your last post) is more than questionable. Instead of understanding that progress in automotive technology is incremental, you're coming up with near-fantastic figures of weight and value.

Weight of 3-liter RWD cars:

The IS300 is 3300lb. A comparably-equipped 330i is a tiny bit heavier than that. The closest-sized car, the 530i, weighs 3500lb. Do you honestly expect that with a larger body, higher displacement engine, and no special technologies, the G35 is going to undercut two highly respected automakers by 200 pounds? Compared to the closest sized 5-series (and the G35 has a bigger engine!), do you expect Nissan to undercut them by 400 pounds?

Do you understand that the fantastic weight-to-power ratio you're pulling out of nowhere is comparable w/the Porsche Boxster S?

And Nissan doesn't exactly have a history for building lightweight cars. If someone were to speculate that either Honda or Lotus were building a superlight competitor to some existing car category, I would be much more inclined to give that claim the benefit of the doubt than yours.

Price of 3-liter RWD cars:

Even completely ignoring the comparisons to its competitors, pricing the G35 in the high 20K's will severely cannibalize sales of the I35, high-end Maximas, and even steal sales some away from the Q45. Nissan is not stupid enough to destroy the profitability of half their product line, even supposing that they somehow could suddenly build cars at the kind of cost that others are completely incapable of. The last I checked, Nissans are still built in Japan, not in Zaire.

You know what, I could care less if you were making these fantastic claims on a Nissan fan forum. People there are already interested in Nissans, and they know enough about the make to be able to separate fact from BS. I have a problem with you coming in to an IS300 fan forum with fantastical figures about a soon-to-arrive-rival, the point of which is to convince us and potential IS300 buyers that the IS300 is effectively obsolete.

Your argument about "keeping Lexus on its toes," is complete hogwash. They might come here to find out what kinds of concerns owners and potential owners are having with their car, but they don't need to come here to find out what their competitors are doing.

You are trolling. You are working against the welfare of this forum. The worst part about it is that you're using speculation and other non-facts to do it.
Old 06-21-01, 08:03 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Let me give you a quaote on the wieght and then Ill get back to yuo as I search for quotes to help my information. This is from Freshalloy on the seconds page of the G35 forum in the news forum if you want to find it:

"As for dimensions, the overall length is 184 inches (the I30 is 193 inches) wheelbase is 112 inches (the I30 is 108.3 inches). So it appears the G35 and I30 are near similar in exterior size. Aproximate weight is around 3,250 lbs which is fairly respectable (the I30 is almost 100 lbs heavier). Stay tuned to FreshAlloy.com for more information!"

Sorry, I was off on the wight, youre right but I was close.
Old 06-21-01, 08:07 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

"Nissan isnt known for making light weight cars" you say. The Q wights 3800 lbs and is 3 inches longer than the LS430.

The I30 (actually I35) wil be redeisgned for model year 2004 which means itll debut in 2003. Sales will fall but Infiniti knows it will since the G35 will be their biggest seller. It was designed to be an A4/C/3?IS competitor but its wheelbase and length is long enough for the midsize class but still shorter than the cars in that segment. it short, it is a 'big' (length) IS competitor yet small enough for the segment. Let me reread your post and find more stuff to answer your questions.
Old 06-21-01, 08:14 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Price: The new ALtima will only cost about 2-3k more than the Altima it replaces. Have you seen it yet and the new things it comes with? The Q45, undercuts everything with as much or more tech than the rivals. The I30 is also a bargain. has more ponnies and space than an ES but still undercuts that (for example). The new Z make get 300hp and start at 28k to 30k the most for base price)! Infiniti and nissan are making powerful vehicles for low prices because thats what they have to do to get market share. If they price their cars like MB or BMW, they wount be around now. This philosophy is what was called "Nissan's Revival Plan".

Maybe people dont want to come to an IS forum to see what their competitors are doing, maybe there shoukld be a car lounge forum to talk about other competitors but to say that no one wants to see what competitors are doing is bogus. maybe you dont because youll buy exus no matter what they make but can you say you speak for everyone? I want to see what competitors but it doesnt mean everyone does - so I know that. Competiton is exciting, I guess lexus owners are not from the way you are giving off.

Old 06-21-01, 11:27 PM
DtEW

Aproximate
It's still an appproximation. It doesn't matter if the approximation is 5000lbs. or 2000lbs, it's somebody's guess because no car manufacturer lets journalists weigh their pre-production mules, not that even that matters to the weight of the product that consumers can buy.

When people that actually know said info (car manufacturers) release it, it is no longer an "approximation."

Let me tell you, just about every car that I have followed from rumor to production has come in overweight from "aproximations," some of them grossly so.

"Nissan isnt known for making light weight cars" you say. The Q wights 3800 lbs and is 3 inches longer than the LS430.
Are you, in not so many words, trying to have us infer that Nissan does make lightweight cars relative to everyone else?

What is the thing with you and numerical figures? There's not a single instance where I haven't had to correct them.

Infiniti lists the Q45 at 4050lbs, and equipped with options it weighs 4220lbs, as weighed by R&T 07/01. Yes, it is lighter than a comparably equipped LS430, but it is still 98% of its weight, lighter by only 2 percent.

the Infiniti I30 is listed between 3342-3415lbs, while the Lexus ES300 is listed at 3373lbs.

The Nissan Maxima is listed between 3186-3245lbs, while the Toyota Camry is listed between 2998-3230lbs.

So despite the fact that the best Nissan has been able to do in terms of weight is to undercut their size/displacement competitor by 2%, they can suddenly build a car with a bigger engine and almost as big as the 3500lb. 5-series for only 90% of its weight???

Price: The new ALtima will only cost about 2-3k more than the Altima it replaces. Have you seen it yet and the new things it comes with?
Another "approximation." Nissan USA hasn't released pricing information for the new Altima yet. And there are two models, a 2.5L I4 and a 3.5L V6. I will go out on a limb and guess that when official prices are released, the the 2.5L I4 is going to cost somewhat more than the current model, and 3.5L V6 is going to cost significantly more than the current model.

The Q45, undercuts everything with as much or more tech than the rivals.
Comparably-equipped, the Q45 it costs 90% as much as the LS430. How does that at all relate to you asserting that the G35, being sized and spec'ed for the mid-size class, will cost 70% as much as the cheapest mid-sized competitor???

The I30 is also a bargain. has more ponnies and space than an ES but still undercuts that (for example).
The I30 undercuts the ES300 by 5.5% in terms of price. Are you beginning to see a trend here?

The new Z make get 300hp and start at 28k to 30k the most for base price)!
Yet another "approximation." Even with the many current examples, why can't you understand the fact that car production costs are somewhat fixed, and Nissan can only undercut other makes for a given content by only so much? Do you really think that Nissan suddenly has some proprietary technology that allows them to offer content at prices that they nor their competitors couldn't before?

Maybe people dont want to come to an IS forum to see what their competitors are doing, maybe there shoukld be a car lounge forum to talk about other competitors but to say that no one wants to see what competitors are doing is bogus. maybe you dont because youll buy exus no matter what they make but can you say you speak for everyone? I want to see what competitors but it doesnt mean everyone does - so I know that. Competiton is exciting, I guess lexus owners are not from the way you are giving off.
Do you know me? Do you really know my car "allegiances," if any?

What's dissapointing is that you seemed to have completely missed what I am objecting to.

I am objecting to you trying to pass off speculation on details of the G35 as fact. With no solid information on the car, you are projecting to us and everyone that comes in here considering an IS300 that the G35 is going to eclipse the IS300. As I've been trying to tell you and everyone else, all your "approximations" are ridiculously optimistic. Instead of acknowledging that you really have no solid information (solid information is the kind that you put money on), and that the car might or might not be a home run, you keep piling on more and more fantastic "approximations," as if that would make your figures solid.

I have nothing against other cars being fairly discussed on this website. Heck, I myself posted that picture of the possible GT-R. What I object to is you being the advocate of G35, and you insisting even in the absence of hard fact that the G35 is going to be an IS-killer.

If you're enthusiastic about the G35, fine. It is your right to like whatever car you like. It is quite fine to talk about it if you can be intellectually honest and admit when things are estimates, and estimates carry the possiblity of being way off. If you're going to come onto an IS300 website and use pass off "speculation" as fact to discourage potential IS300 buyers, you've got another thing coming.
Old 06-22-01, 09:32 AM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Are you, in not so many words, trying to have us infer that Nissan does make lightweight cars relative to everyone else?
Did I say that? You did, not me.

When people that actually know said info (car manufacturers) release it, it is no longer an "approximation."
Actually my estimate of 3200lbs is somewhat correct. The actual weight of the car 3250lbs. That is a fact, no estimate.

Infiniti lists the Q45 at 4050lbs, and equipped with options it weighs 4220lbs, as weighed by R&T 07/01
If you go to www.nissannews.com and look at the specs of the Q45, they say it weighs 3800lbs. No extimates there, just info from the horses mouth.

Comparably-equipped, the Q45 it costs 90% as much as the LS430.
Your point? I said the Q undercuts everything its class, you are proving my point.

How does that at all relate to you asserting that the G35, being sized and spec'ed for the mid-size class, will cost 70% as much as the cheapest mid-sized competitor???
Like I said, Nissan is making all thier products at a lower price than there competitors. Z, Altima, Q45 and now the G35. Its trend buddy...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The new Z make get 300hp and start at 28k to 30k the most for base price)!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yet another "approximation."
Nope. nissan stated at the Z press conferecne that the Z will start UNDER 30k. Thats no assumption. Under 30k means 29,999 and under.
I've been trying to tell you and everyone else, all your "approximations" are ridiculously optimistic
You dont have to believe me but I am answering everything you are giving me because I do know whats happening.

If you're going to come onto an IS300 website and use pass off "speculation" as fact to discourage potential IS300 buyers, you've got another thing coming.
When every mag says at least 260hp and the JDM version of the car has a smaller engine (3 liters) with 250hp, you know that the 3.5 liter version of the car will have at least the same or more. When every rumors says one thing, its because that 'rumor' is very near the truth.

JDM Skyline (G35): 3.0 liters V6 with 250ps (about 248hp)
2.5 liter I4 with 215ps (about 212hp)

The G35 will get a 3.5 V6. Thats fact for you.
Old 06-22-01, 02:58 PM
DtEW

Default Re: DROD2045-- get some impartial sources

Originally posted by lebowski
and a side note: I saw a billboard for the new Q45 at the Lincoln tunnel today... 340Hp! This "revival" better have great marketing or some substance behind it or Nissan just dug a grave it won't get out of...
Not that it is at all related to the topic at hand, the latest issue of Road & Track (July 2001) compares the new Q45 to the LS430. Despite having that awesome 340bhp rating over the Lexus' 290bhp rating, being lighter, and coming with 245-width tires over the Lexus' 225-width tires, the Q45 ended up being:

1. Slower in the 0-60
2. Slower in the quarter mile
3. Lower in lateral acceleration (skidpad G's)
4. Longer to brake from 60mph
5. Longer to brake from 80mph
6. Worse in fuel economy

...all of which was surprising, counterintuitive, but ultimately scientific, being that this was a comparo and both cars were tested under identical conditions.

The upside was that it won out in most of the subjective driving ratings, which would sway me toward it rather than the LS430 were I inclined to buy a car in that class.
Old 06-22-01, 10:39 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Also looks like a fake SC 430 in the front the rest of it just like the new Altima.

It does not look as cool or agressive as the IS.

Interior seems very nice and different.

Don't forget THE MORE HP NISSAN STATES, THE SLOWER IT GOES....
The XVL concept debuted the same year at the same auto show as the SC concept - 99 Tokyo Auto show

Doesnt look as cool or aggressive? subjective which is fine with me

"Don't forget THE MORE HP NISSAN STATES, THE SLOWER IT GOES.... " Well have to see since a production Q45 hasnt been tested. however, the new Q is still faster than the one it replaces so...
Old 06-22-01, 10:41 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Default Re: Re: DROD2045-- get some impartial sources

Originally posted by DtEW

Not that it is at all related to the topic at hand, the latest issue of Road & Track (July 2001) compares the new Q45 to the LS430. Despite having that awesome 340bhp rating over the Lexus' 290bhp rating, being lighter, and coming with 245-width tires over the Lexus' 225-width tires, the Q45 ended up being:

1. Slower in the 0-60
2. Slower in the quarter mile
3. Lower in lateral acceleration (skidpad G's)
4. Longer to brake from 60mph
5. Longer to brake from 80mph
6. Worse in fuel economy

...all of which was surprising, counterintuitive, but ultimately scientific, being that this was a comparo and both cars were tested under identical conditions.

The upside was that it won out in most of the subjective driving ratings, which would sway me toward it rather than the LS430 were I inclined to buy a car in that class.
A production Q45 has not been tested and Infiniti said that they stand behind their claim. We have to wait until next month The Q45's brakes are small looking. SOmething that needs to be made bigger. The LS has always been remarkable at braking. I think its the best in its class. I think if Infiniti increased the diameter of the brakes then itll brake as good as the LS or better depending on what they do (or still worse) but Inifniti needs to give it better brakes for the sport version at least.

Last edited by DROD2045; 06-22-01 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-22-01, 10:46 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Also considering all the new technology they put in cars, it's almost impossible to weigh less. i.e NAV, TRAC, VSC, 17 and 18" factory rims, chrome accents etc.

Nissan still does not have a clue
Ever heard of aluminum castings for major body parts such as supension, body, engine etc...

"Nissan still does not have a clue"
What the hell is that?
Old 06-24-01, 12:38 AM
scoot557
Rookie

in all honesty - this topic has been beaten to death. i'm sure its a nice car, but i don't want it, and i'm sure no one in the IS300 forum does either, i don't goto inifinity forums saying lex this and lex that, sorry drod, you're in the wrong place if anyone here cared about infinity that much, they'd be in there......just my 2¢
Old 06-24-01, 08:00 AM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Originally posted by scoot557
in all honesty - this topic has been beaten to death. i'm sure its a nice car, but i don't want it, and i'm sure no one in the IS300 forum does either, i don't goto inifinity forums saying lex this and lex that, sorry drod, you're in the wrong place if anyone here cared about infinity that much, they'd be in there......just my 2¢
I didnt make this topic. Besides, I like when competiton comes around. So I like talking about other brands.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Infiniti 's future IS300 comp.