IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

2002 IS changes - the scoop from Inside Lexus Article!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-01, 08:03 AM
aust182
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can see the planned improvements and a new model for the 2002 IS @ http://www.insidelexus.com/vol4/is300/index.shtml.

The overview is:
5 speed manual
VSC (Vehicle Skid Control) optional with automatic
Torsen will still be available
New color called "Absolutely Red"
Subtle Grille changes
Solid leather seating option (in addition to the Ecsaine and cloth)
New armrest (thank god!)
Texturing to the instrument panel (probably in response to the Car and Driver article that said it was too plain)
DVD nav system
Side curtain airbags (this will compete directly with the BMW HRS-head restraint system) taking the number of bags to 3 (side, curtain and front)

There is also a new model, sportcross. They have a picture of it at the site.

Looks like they read all the reviews and reacted accordingly directly addressing the shortcomings of the model sighted by both Consumer Reports and Car and Driver.

Might be worth waiting until August for the 2002 model! Let me know what you think!!

.../austin
Old 05-29-01, 10:03 AM
mindflux
Pole Position

Default I want one!

what would be the price of this car?

will it be a lot more expensive than the auto model since it has a lot of new additions.

Thanks,

Mind
Old 05-29-01, 10:50 AM
aust182
Rookie

I wish I knew about cost, no news yet from any of my sources.

Here are my guesses. The safety addition (curtain) shouldn't change as it is being listed as standard equipment. The redesigns of the center console and the dash should not affect price either as they are no more expensive to install on the assembly line, just a different piece of injection molded plastic .

I am sure the stability control will be in line with the LSD option of $800-$1200, but that is just a guess.

There has been some discussion on the stick costing extra but that would not be in-line with other premium manufacturers costing structures (BMW and such. All other manufacturers charge less for a stick so I think a price jump would be unwise on Lexus' part. The only issue with the stick (from what I have read) will be limited availability and high demand.

A nice fact will be that the ecu and ect upgrades will be in all the 2002 models already so no trips to the dealer for the upgrades!!

.../austin
Old 05-30-01, 09:59 AM
BlueIS
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Trading in Leased 2001...

After reading all these posts on the 2002 model, it makes me want to trade mine in! Mainly the Manual Transmission is the reason.. All the other ammenities are a plus but mainly the 5-Speed makes it all the better.. I've barely modded my IS.. just thinking of not touching it till August.. and just goin in and trading it in somehow.. Would anyone know how much I'd be in for if I leased my car in January on a 39 month lease, and how it would work??? The salesperson I dealt with was very kind.. plus I've known him since Junior High! He might be able to work out a deal.. I wouldnt want to pay TOO much extra.. I originally paid $2500 Driveoff and I pay $465/month incl. tax. Any help/suggestions are appreciated..

Old 05-30-01, 11:09 AM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

Good luck... it can be hard to break a lease like that. Let us know how it goes
Old 05-31-01, 02:09 AM
BlueIS
Driver School Candidate

Well.. First off.. To let everyone know, I just got my IS back today after having it in service for THREE WEEKS! (Jim Falk Lexus)The car has about 4800 miles on it.. and I leased it in January... They gave me a brand new RX as a loaner.. its been fun.. but I'm paying for my IS .. thats the car I want to drive..

I took it in for some suspension noises.. and the ECU updates.. TRAC they said I didnt need.. Engine they said I needed but I had to come back for and they told me they swapped out the right side suspension with new Struts and end links.. and some more parts.. costing them like $2k .. Anyways. I drive my car around and it still makes the same noises! Anyways.. I talk to the sales manager I leased it from .. and he told me I would be UPSIDE down at least $3k PLUS another down payment.. so its not worth it at all doing the swap..

I'm just gunna forget about it.. my next car will be a manual.. I'll mod this car and have my fun with it.. its a GREAT car and I love it.. Might as well enjoy it..

Old 06-04-01, 05:14 PM
DMANN

Exclamation Needs Power

I was going to buy an '02 Manual IS300, but I may defect to the BMW camp -- if only there were 15-20 more stock HP to start with....
Old 06-05-01, 07:39 PM
dogofthegods

can you get it without the armrest? I hate them they get in the way and cause shoulder pain.
Old 06-06-01, 11:04 AM
aust182
Rookie

dogofthegods,
If you don't want the armrest I am SURE there are a few hundred people with 2001 models that will gladly swap with you. I know I want the storage and I always use the armrest in my current sled. If you buy one, just post here for a swap...shouldn't be a problem!!
Old 06-06-01, 07:17 PM
dogofthegods

I have a 2001 IS300, however I am interested in the convertible which should hit the streets in 2004.
Old 06-09-01, 08:03 PM
Fikse
Rookie

you would be totally screwed if you broke that lease....

they are shoving IS300's down here in south florida out the door for 300/month and similar terms.......

I almost bought a 42k RX300 for $465/month and $2350 due at signing.... decided to wait for my SC430 to come in....

Fikse
Old 06-15-01, 04:28 AM

Default Re: Trading in Leased 2001...

Originally posted by BlueIS
I've barely modded my IS.. just thinking of not touching it till August.. and just goin in and trading it in somehow.. Would anyone know how much I'd be in for if I leased my car in January on a 39 month lease, and how it would work??? The salesperson I dealt with was very kind.. plus I've known him since Junior High! He might be able to work out a deal.. I wouldnt want to pay TOO much extra.. I originally paid $2500 Driveoff and I pay $465/month incl. tax. Any help/suggestions are appreciated..

if you really really want the car sooooo bad, go ahead and get the new one. but like someone said, u'll get slapped for it.
i traded in my 99 G3 for the IS. i got slapped about $4K but i still got the IS