IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

I want either a Lexus I300 or Acura TL Type S.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-01, 02:54 PM
Evo

Question

I am considering a Lexus IS300 or Acura TL Type S. The handling and personality of the Lexus is great, but the speed and roaring engine of the Acura is making me lean more towards the Acura. I really like the Lexus so much more though, to me the TL Type S seems like a imitation sports sedan. Is there a mod for the Lexus that will put it in on par or surpass the Acura?
Old 05-27-01, 03:10 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I do not own the IS, I do love it's styling. I have ridden in both and they are both great cars. The TL-S styling is great too. As you know they are both somewhat different cars. The IS being smaller. If you want a navigation and are thinking Acura for that reason, the IS should be getting one for '02.

Both have 5-speed automatics and sport shift (more similar than I thought). As for aftermarket parts, there are plenty for both vehicles. I will let some of the IS owners tell you about the specific parts but I am sure there are PLENTY out there for the IS specifically. You may even be able to get an L-Tuned IS for '02. Check it out. Just drive them both as much as you need to and think it over. Overall you probably feel better about one than the other. The main difference will be driving characteristics of the front wheel drive acura and real wheel drive lexus - also the size. Check out http://www.acura-tl.com to find out what owners are saying about it and check out the IS forum here and read various posts it will give you an idea of what to expect. Also, if image is important to you, the IS is more of a racer, youger type image compared to the TL.

Hope that helps,
Nick
Old 05-27-01, 03:21 PM
Evo

Default Thanks

Thanks....I've driven both cars, the difference? The TL's brake are horrible, the handling is good not great, the speed is what really makes me want this. Stomp on the pedal and the engine sings. The Lexus is more fun in other ways. I can toss the car around, get attention without looking like a snob ( uh uhm! BMW's), and the L emblem that ensures that I get quality for the money. The speed would be a great addition. I have a few friends who talk alot of ***** in the Preludes.
Old 05-27-01, 03:36 PM
Lexus_IS300
Lead Lap

Default Re: Thanks

Originally posted by Evo
Thanks....I've driven both cars, the difference? The TL's brake are horrible, the handling is good not great, the speed is what really makes me want this. Stomp on the pedal and the engine sings. The Lexus is more fun in other ways. I can toss the car around, get attention without looking like a snob ( uh uhm! BMW's), and the L emblem that ensures that I get quality for the money. The speed would be a great addition. I have a few friends who talk alot of ***** in the Preludes.

ok, im going to be non-biased as possible. I have driven both cars..(my cousin owns the TL) and there is no comparison. the two cars are in totally different classes. the IS300 is NOT much slower the the TL-S at all, some people make it seem so. IS300's braking, handling, RWD, compactness, gives it way more of a sporty feel than the TL-S which acura tries to advertise as. also, the IS300's infamous 2jzge motor is extremely capable of high HP and have alot of aftermarket support. on the other hand, the TL-S is more luxury orientedy. the exterior and interior dimension seems quite bigger, the driving feel is very boring. it is a luxury car (not sports luxury, IMO), with not much road feel, and steering feel...you can forget about that also. it really depends on what you are looking for, a sport sedan? or a comfortable roomy luxury oriented? also, lexus's service is superior to any other you've ever experienced, that might have somewhat of an effect on your purchase. but the choice is yours. hope this helps!
Old 05-27-01, 05:16 PM
Evo

Default Again Thanks

Ok I'm close to making my final decision now. I decided on the Lexus. I get very bored with cars, for some reason I think I'll get bored with the TL. Now for mods, what mods can I do that will help increase hp? I don't want a drastic change much like Turbo or SC. More like subtle changes ala TL tuned to TL Type S.
Old 05-28-01, 01:02 AM
David GS400
Pole Position

Hey Evo:

Just got back from the Club Lexus Rally in Carson, and believe you me, there were plenty of IS3's that would blow any Acura away. First understand, the Acura is a front wheel drive car. While you may get beans out of the motor, it will just never handle the way a rear wheel drive does. Too much power and you're going to torque steer all over the place. The Swift Racing Intake and ECU will put you on par with the Acura's motor.

If you really want to go exotic, I saw a couple of turbo-charged IS's at the meet that fly. I used to own an Acura Legend and I thought it was a great car. But I think the Acura and Lexus are totally different classes of cars.

Happy Hunting!
Old 05-28-01, 01:48 AM
Lexus_IS300
Lead Lap

Default Re: Again Thanks

Originally posted by Evo
Ok I'm close to making my final decision now. I decided on the Lexus. I get very bored with cars, for some reason I think I'll get bored with the TL. Now for mods, what mods can I do that will help increase hp? I don't want a drastic change much like Turbo or SC. More like subtle changes ala TL tuned to TL Type S.

there are alot of mods avail, here are a few options:

SRT HFI
Apexi S-AFC
RMM intake
injen intake
hks hiper exhaust
5zigen exhaust
blitz nur spec exhaust
Old 05-28-01, 11:52 AM
Lexus_IS300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Hmmmmm let's see Tl (type whatever)sucks, IS does not suck any questions?????

Tl meant to compete with ES, I 35, etc not IS or beamer, in motor trend a couple of months ago they pitted it against 330, c 320 Audi a-6 and something else, it finished 4th (mind u it is brand new)......

It is ANOTHER wannabe sports sedan, u don't wantt that do u, it is a cruiser (yes a pretty fast one) but has more in common with Caddilac than BMW or Lexus.....

I will not sing the IS praises cause we ALL KNOW it kicks butt and rocks!

i couldnt of put it better
Old 05-28-01, 11:59 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i will try to sum upthe above comments:

tl-s: good value for the $$$, and helps if you need room for the family.

is300: reasonably priced, excellent handling, breaking, fun to drive.
Old 06-25-01, 05:10 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

For the person who said the IS isnt much slower than the TL Type S is wrong. IS 0-60: 7.1 seconds from Lexus (I havent seen 7.1 from a mag yet though) TL-Type S: 0-60 in 6.3 (from Acura).

Evo: If I were you, Id wait for the IS 5 speed manual. IF you want to wait for some odd reason even more, try out the TL Type S with a 6 speed manual.

I would take the IS over the TL Type S though. Good choice Evo. Now, what color? Dark Blue is always nice
Old 06-25-01, 05:12 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Hmmmmm let's see Tl (type whatever)sucks, IS does not suck any questions?????
You are the ultimate blind fan. how can you say the TL sucks??????????? IS rocks but dont say the TL sucks. Open your eyes for a minute. Its sad, really is.
Old 06-25-01, 06:11 PM
SilverLex

Originally posted by DROD2045
IS 0-60: 7.1 seconds from Lexus (I havent seen 7.1 from a mag yet though)
April 2001 Road and Track review:
http://www.extremefx.com/IS300/rt_specs.jpg
Old 06-25-01, 07:45 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the TL-S is a neat car for it's price. 3 advantages for the TL-S: 1) It's got great value and 2) 0-60 is pretty fast and 3) it's alittle bigger

IS300 has everything else. And still, good value and acceptable 0-60.

I wouldn't say the TL sucks. Compared to alot of other cars, it's TOP notch. It's just that this is a comparison between TL-S and IS300. I would personally take the IS. RWD is a must, and the handling on the TL (Type S or not) is really sluggish, seriously.

TL is a very upgraded version of the Accord sedans. That's alot of improvements, but still sharing alot of parts. My friend's TL was opened up with a wrench via the window way, in 9 seconds by AAA people (he left his keys in the car) and that guy said no matter what he wouldn't mess with a LEXUS because it's just TOO HARD compared to TL. (I was standing there laughing) he said the mechanisms on the TL are the same from the Accord.

I would wait for the IS with 5 speed. Lexus made enough mistakes (2JZ-GE in the IS? What were they thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!! well 3S-GE costs more than the 2JZ-GE, yah really.)

I don't know if the new TL-S will be offered with 6-speed. Honda puts 6-speeds on S2000 and NSX. TL-S? maybe not. Who knows.

now to the MODS:

mild:--------------------------------------------------
intake
exhaust
S-AFC
pulleys and camgears
etc. etc.

wild:--------------------------------------------------
bolt on turbo
engine swap

too much you can do. Plus it's RWD, a big plus over FWD. There's a different between getting pushed and getting pulled.
Old 06-25-01, 07:50 PM
chowder
Driver

my brother has a new tl-s. i think it's a great car. i'm especially fond of the NAV system, the wheel mounted audio controls, and the reversing self-lowered mirror. heck my GS4 doesn't have any of those. the things i don't like are that it's built in the USA, the stereo has a pitiful speaker setup, and it's looks don't impress me. having said that, the looks of my GS didn't win me over either.
most folks focus on HP, looks, marque. not me -- i'm a big value shopper (i.e. the best mix of performance/reliability/amenity for a given $). i think both the GS4 and TL-S are great values.
i wouldn't put much weight to what we all have to say regarding which car to choose. you're the only one that has to be happy. to each his own. peruse this forum and the TL one, but bear in mind a vast majority of the opinions you'll read will be biased. if i were you, i'd only look to compare the problems cited by owners. your own test drive should tell you the rest.
good luck.
Old 06-25-01, 09:41 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Globe CLK: The CL type S will be first to get a 6 speed manual. Then the TL-type S will be getting it too. Its for sure.

Quick Reply: I want either a Lexus I300 or Acura TL Type S.....