IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

I want either a Lexus I300 or Acura TL Type S.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-01, 04:36 AM
mjdart
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice link

Good information I hadn't seen before like tranny ratios with spped at redline.
Old 08-23-01, 02:46 PM
BlackShadow
Rookie

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Hmmmmm let's see Tl (type whatever)sucks, IS does not suck any questions?????

A true hypocrite talking. Why are you ALWAYS talking **** about the TL? Then you come on our board and try to tone things down a little but then back in your own turf, you talk mad ****. WHY?????????

Back to the topic. Of course you will get biased opinions here just like if you go to www.acura-tl.com. There are pros and cons of both cars. Either one, you will not be disappointed.

Old 08-23-01, 02:57 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Default Re: Re: Thanks

Originally posted by Lexus_IS300

ok, im going to be non-biased as possible. I have driven both cars..(my cousin owns the TL) and there is no comparison. the two cars are in totally different classes. the IS300 is NOT much slower the the TL-S at all, some people make it seem so.
A second is a lot slower. That said, the other attributes you mention are true which would lead me to an IS (for his decision). He seems to like the IS in every way but speed, therefore, its better than the TL for him. Get what your heart desires, your heart is wanting the IS.

Hope you make the right decision on whatever that car may be.
Old 08-23-01, 03:04 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by BlackShadow

A true hypocrite talking. Why are you ALWAYS talking **** about the TL? Then you come on our board and try to tone things down a little but then back in your own turf, you talk mad ****. WHY?????????

Back to the topic. Of course you will get biased opinions here just like if you go to www.acura-tl.com. There are pros and cons of both cars. Either one, you will not be disappointed.

isn't this from 2 months ago?
let's all stop the TL vs Lexus war or something people.

They're all great cars and different cars suit different people. Period.
Old 08-23-01, 03:38 PM
BlackShadow
Rookie

Originally posted by GlobeCLK

isn't this from 2 months ago?
let's all stop the TL vs Lexus war or something people.

They're all great cars and different cars suit different people. Period.
I know but I don't like hypocrites. Sorry for bringing it back up but I got the link from someone and I had to respond.
BTW, I agree with you. Let's stop this nonsense and get back to enjoying our cars.
Old 08-23-01, 08:46 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by BlackShadow

I know but I don't like hypocrites. Sorry for bringing it back up but I got the link from someone and I had to respond.
BTW, I agree with you. Let's stop this nonsense and get back to enjoying our cars.
all cool
Old 09-01-01, 06:21 PM
Webologist
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Hmmmmm let's see Tl (type whatever)sucks, IS does not suck any questions?????

Tl meant to compete with ES, I 35, etc not IS or beamer, in motor trend a couple of months ago they pitted it against 330, c 320 Audi a-6 and something else, it finished 4th (mind u it is brand new)......

It is ANOTHER wannabe sports sedan, u don't wantt that do u, it is a cruiser (yes a pretty fast one) but has more in common with Caddilac than BMW or Lexus.....

I will not sing the IS praises cause we ALL KNOW it kicks butt and rocks!

Sick, You need to be more objective. Obviously you have a bone to pick with the TL/TL-S crowd. I can't understand why the TL-S intimidates you so much. Make a friend who owns one in your area and run with him a little. You might gain a whole new respect for the car.

Wannabe sports sedan? Check every review of the TL-S it says SPORTS SEDAN. Every major publication.

In Edmunds they pitted the TL-S against the 330i and several other sports sedans and it came out first... Check the average price of the cars tested in the MT article (where it came in 3rd) (first outright by one staffer) including the 330i Manual, A6 2.7 Twin Turbo 6 speed manual, Mercedes C320 and other turbocharged manual cars... What's your point?

Enjoy your ride and let people enjoy theirs. I like the GS/IS/TL/TL-S cars a lot, every one of them.

Regards
-w
Old 09-05-01, 11:10 AM
BimmerLexus
Rookie

Default TL-Type S does NOT suck!

You are correct that comparing an IS to a TL is apples to oranges. The TL was bult and marketed to go after the near Lux class, not sport class! Acura BEAT Lexus at it own game! The TL embarrasses the ES at a lot less money! And with the new ES going even softer...look out. Last year(2001) Acura sold 70,000 TL's, Lexus sold just over 30,000 ES. Lexus's best seller is a Truck (RX300). The IS is a great sports sedan, no contest, but Lexus can't sell em except to a small select few. My dealer offered me $2500 off a 2002!
Acura and Lexus would love to make all out sports sedans...but the money is in a $30K near Lux car that acts sporty! Thats the facts. That is what put Lexus where it is and Acura where it is.
Acura was talking about a sedan built on the S2000, but scrapped the idea BECAUSE of the IS's poor sales.
The truth hurts...we are the minority in liking these cars, not the majority and NO ONE can afford catering to us solely!

Joe
Old 09-05-01, 02:03 PM
ming 2.7T
Driver

saw that post referring to the test of TL, 330,,, and A6. What in the heck was the A6 in there for? Geez wouldnt it be tested against the 5 series car, or LS, Volvo S80,,,,. Kind of a big car to be in that test. Just wondering
Old 09-05-01, 06:54 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Originally posted by SilverLex

April 2001 Road and Track review:
http://www.extremefx.com/IS300/rt_specs.jpg
R&T confirms 7.1 secs for the IS, and 7.0 sec for the TL-S, very close. Same qtr mile time at 15.3 sec.

Stick with the IS!
Old 09-05-01, 07:55 PM
Webologist
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by ming 2.7T
saw that post referring to the test of TL, 330,,, and A6. What in the heck was the A6 in there for? Geez wouldnt it be tested against the 5 series car, or LS, Volvo S80,,,,. Kind of a big car to be in that test. Just wondering
Actually the A6 is a Midsize just like the TL-S. The 330ci is SubCompact, 330i is a Compact, and so is the 5 Series. The IS is also a Sub Compact...
Old 09-05-01, 11:38 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: TL-Type S does NOT suck!

Originally posted by BimmerLexus
You are correct that comparing an IS to a TL is apples to oranges. The TL was bult and marketed to go after the near Lux class, not sport class! Acura BEAT Lexus at it own game! The TL embarrasses the ES at a lot less money! And with the new ES going even softer...look out.
What game? Quality? Comfort? Noise level? The ES300 was built with 99% luxury and comfort in mind, and if you try to compare the TL with the ES in performance, it's like a 300lb man trying to wrestle a 80lb. girl. Don't be proud of it. Pick on some other cars in performance.

Last year(2001) Acura sold 70,000 TL's, Lexus sold just over 30,000 ES. Lexus's best seller is a Truck (RX300).
Isn't Acura's best seller the Integra?

The IS is a great sports sedan, no contest, but Lexus can't sell em except to a small select few. My dealer offered me $2500 off a 2002!
Yeah the IS is a great sport sedan but I don't see why how well a car sells can make a car better. So you're saying Camrys and Corollas are better than TL?

I guess people buy TL because of the value. It's true that for 30k you get ALOT from the TL. But there are all those hidden things people don't realize and are not mentioned, so they go for it. Again sales don't judge a car.

Acura was talking about a sedan built on the S2000, but scrapped the idea BECAUSE of the IS's poor sales.
The truth hurts...we are the minority in liking these cars, not the majority and NO ONE can afford catering to us solely!

I don't think the IS300 sold poorly. Do you have any numbers? I don't have any and would like to see them. The IS will not sell as good as RX300s because the general public accepts RX more than IS (value). Same thing with TL. That's why they sell so well. Majority people in the world go for VALUE not performance or anything else.

And Lexus did a poor job at creating the IS300. I can't stop emphasizing how stupid Toyota/Lexus is by dropping the "unbelonging" 2JZ-GE into the tiny IS body. Where's the 3S and the 6-speed that belongs there? That could've put the IS in it's spot, the RIGHT one.