IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

what bodykit is this???

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-05, 11:46 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 13s_is300
i agree with 70-101 why would anyone modify a lexus.

I'm take it that you are joking? You seem to have 3 page long list of mods for you IS
Old 01-21-05, 12:31 PM
Zor Prime
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amy011079
can someone tell me why it's so hard for these companies to just make these body kits right?!?!?! gosh! the lsportline front end sucks for fitment, and the back i think needs altering too. WTF???
Why the US kits don't fit quite right is beyond me plus lsportline is not exactly cheap..440 for rear bumper ..as for the other kits 95 percent of them are made for the Altezza which has shorter front and rear bumpers...If the kits are full bumper replacements removal off the crash bar is necessary...and it still does not mean it will line up perfectly and if its a lip kit..forget it..They either have to extend the ends or cut it in the middle..thats not worth the hassle..more US companies need to clone the kits to fit US specs..a few have been done.. I have no problem with knock offs as long as it fits..I don't see spending all that money to get a JDM lip and have to spend more money to re-engineer the thing..only to get it scraped up/ripped off down the line..
Old 01-21-05, 01:20 PM
is300plp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Zor Prime
Why the US kits don't fit quite right is beyond me plus lsportline is not exactly cheap..440 for rear bumper ..as for the other kits 95 percent of them are made for the Altezza which has shorter front and rear bumpers...If the kits are full bumper replacements removal off the crash bar is necessary...and it still does not mean it will line up perfectly and if its a lip kit..forget it..They either have to extend the ends or cut it in the middle..thats not worth the hassle..more US companies need to clone the kits to fit US specs..a few have been done.. I have no problem with knock offs as long as it fits..I don't see spending all that money to get a JDM lip and have to spend more money to re-engineer the thing..only to get it scraped up/ripped off down the line..
what would the legal issues be with cloning an altezza kit for fitment on the is300? I'd imagine there would be infringment on the design against the japanese company who originally designed the kit if a US company were to clone the exact kit and sell it for profit in the US?!?!
Old 01-21-05, 02:09 PM
70-101
Driver School Candidate

Default Yea Right

Let's buy luxury sport coupes and put plastic and fiberglass body panels on them. I'm sorry. I didn't realize this was a tuner forum. I'm out of here.
Old 01-21-05, 02:29 PM
13s_is300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VSsc400
I'm take it that you are joking? You seem to have 3 page long list of mods for you IS

yes i was. and that list needs to be updated......
Old 01-21-05, 02:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by is300plp
what would the legal issues be with cloning an altezza kit for fitment on the is300? I'd imagine there would be infringment on the design against the japanese company who originally designed the kit if a US company were to clone the exact kit and sell it for profit in the US?!?!
well there are a lot of knock off kits, so that's just how it is. i don't see japanese company really taking any legal actions
Old 01-21-05, 02:49 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 70-101
A body kit on a IS300! I can't believe someone would purchase a Lexus then turn it into a Civic..
I am assuming this is sarcasm, because the head engineer behind the IS 300, drives an Altezza modded, with a bodykit, rims etc. And he is near 60.
Old 01-21-05, 02:49 PM
Zor Prime
Rookie

Originally Posted by is300plp
I am assuming the company would do this legally, but some of these Japanese companies folded aready and some other company aquired and is just cranking out the molds. There are tons of US companies cloning kits...erubuni has so many freakin knock offs its unbeliavable. There are like 3 or 4 different clones of the Cwest and countless of the TRD Neo kit..This just leads me to believe laws are pretty grey in this area. Kaminari is just a clone of arms design...and the kaminari roof spoiler is just a replica of the Pittura roof spoiler..I wonder if they acquired the molds legally?...they did alter it..and the carson tuned is just l-tuned/TRD neo just slightly different front bumper ..not sure if this was legal done either.. I think if you alter it slightly its a new design? I actually found a replica of the Win racing front bumper and it fits U.S specs...around 400 shipped..I may try this out since my front bumper is trashed
Old 01-21-05, 03:01 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Let's buy luxury sport coupes and put plastic and fiberglass body panels on them. I'm sorry. I didn't realize this was a tuner forum. I'm out of here.
Your choice . I'm sorry you aren't open minded enough to respect other members decisions regarding what they to do with their own cars.... as I'd ask them to respect your decision to keep your sedan bone stock to preserve the 'luxury sport' . An opinon that you don't like it is just fine, but you started your commentary with an insult.... not the kind of collaboration we encourage on our forum.

I have one bone stock Lexus that has no plastic and fiberglass on it and one that does. Different rationale and different reasoning for the purpose of each car. I have to go and insult myself now, the tuner inside of me has to beat on the luxury half
Old 01-21-05, 06:10 PM
E12ic46
Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Your choice . I'm sorry you aren't open minded enough to respect other members decisions regarding what they to do with their own cars.... as I'd ask them to respect your decision to keep your sedan bone stock to preserve the 'luxury sport' . An opinon that you don't like it is just fine, but you started your commentary with an insult.... not the kind of collaboration we encourage on our forum.

I have one bone stock Lexus that has no plastic and fiberglass on it and one that does. Different rationale and different reasoning for the purpose of each car. I have to go and insult myself now, the tuner inside of me has to beat on the luxury half
lol....I should go insult myself as well then..
Old 01-21-05, 07:10 PM
Zor Prime
Rookie

Guys I understand where 70-101 is coming from..my father thinks just like him..haha..I t would be my best guest that 70-101 is a wee bit outside of our generattion..like by about 40 or 50 years..hence the 70 in the 101. He bought the IS for his son
and he doesn't want his son getting any ideas..Because honestly a man of his age would look silly if he had to borrow the car with all those fiberglass panels...
Old 01-21-05, 09:31 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Zor Prime
Because honestly a man of his age would look silly if he had to borrow the car with all those fiberglass panels...
OK, now I AM insulted (I'm 38... to close to 40 for comfort), lol.
Old 01-21-05, 11:29 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here here.

I'm 40+ and expect to be modding for many more years to come, so it's not an age thing. I don't think he's a real "car" guy, that's all.
Old 01-22-05, 02:42 AM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

I'm sorry. I didn't realize this was a tuner forum. I'm out of here.
Don't take your car for a tune-up then, since you're against tuning.
Old 01-22-05, 04:33 AM
Zor Prime
Rookie

hehe don't worry i am not too far behind ya ...I am 32...just thought it was ironic he bought the IS for his son. It was even more funny when he said "body kits on an IS300!" like it was complete lunacy..the most unheard thing in the world. The IS 300 attracts even younger drivers than the scion brand..he just sounds really out of touch.. like someone from a much older generation.. guess he hasn't looked in the galleries here with 185 or so pics of IS 300's with fiberglass panels ..and some have no lexus badges! The insanity!...HAHAHAHA

Last edited by Zor Prime; 01-22-05 at 04:41 AM.

Quick Reply: what bodykit is this???