IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Which year is best?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-05, 09:32 PM
DrumProdigy83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't driven the car at all yet, I want to test drive a bunch in the spring:

IS300
GS430
LS430 (why not lol)
BMW 330i
BMW 540i
Infiniti G35 coupe
Acura TL (maybe... don't like fwd)
Mercedes C32 AMG
Audi S4 (maybe... reliability is scary)

I think that's it... I want to stay away from the German cars because of reliability and overall costs. I may go certified pre-owned, but honestly I don't want to buy a German car until I can afford to buy it brand new...

As far as manual goes, my Accord is a 5spd manual and the clutch pedal has to be pressed in ridiculously far I grind gears even with very casual relaxed driving sometimes. It's sooo annoying. I like to drive stick, especially if I get the IS, but in a car like the GS430 the V8 is so potent I don't really need a stick. It's just an everyday car not a track car so the performance is more than enough. I will really just have to test drive I guess.

A friend of mine has a Volkswagon GTI I think it is... he did some work to it and got hp and torque up there quite a bit over 200 for each. It is FAST and it's a nice car too I think. I don't need a car quite that fast, but I envision the IS300 like that. Very awesome design but I don't want to be out there looking like a nice "ricer" and being beat by Hondas and VWs and stuff. Ugh. That's why I asked about supercharging. Actually, the real reference I am using for the new car is the G35 coupe. It is nice, fast, and can be used for everyday driving. I'd buy one but they are way too common for me... I barely see any IS300's in my town but every other car is either a BMW 3 series or a G35. I want to be different but I still like the market segment of the G35 and 330i/330ci. I also like the 540i... which the GS430 competes with. They are different market segments but both of them appeal to me. I like either the "small" sports sedans or the midsize sport sedans. I LOVE the 2000-2003 M5 (e39) but it's a little out of my price range lol. The 540i / GS430 are the next best thing imo and the IS300 is still awesome and will save me money. It's just one of those things I'll have to decide on my own, but I guess people from either side will throw out all sorts of information that will really sway me in both directions... blah.

Last edited by DrumProdigy83; 01-14-05 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-15-05, 12:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

IS300
GS430
LS430 (why not lol)
BMW 330i
BMW 540i
Infiniti G35 coupe
Acura TL (maybe... don't like fwd)
Mercedes C32 AMG
Audi S4 (maybe... reliability is scary)

man, seems like you have a lot of fun time this coming spring, definitely keep us posted. and seems like the is300 is still catching your eye huh, that's nice i don't wanna describe the is300 5 speed too much, but drive the car and let me know, it's worse than a long engagement clutch imho

but of all the cars you put up. ls430 is out (from what you havea told me this car isn't what you want). the new tl is nice, but after driving some other cars on the list you will throw it out. the c32? used? it's a nice car but the suspension is just so-so. the audi, yes, you are asking for trouble imho, know too many people and they tell me to go the other way....

what's left. is300 is nice, specially if you get 5 speed. 330i is even better imho, if you can stand with the maintenance and tiny reliability issues. it's a much better car to drive compared to the is300 imho, more sporty, more road feel, less quiet.

the gs430 and the 540i is head to head, but i think, again, if you take away reliability, the 540i wins. the gs430 is a lot more comfortable, but unless you spend some money, it will not have any handling. the stock car is like a boat, argh on the handling.

the g35 is right between the is300/330i and the gs430/540i group imho. it has great handling, speed, and it's quite roomy inside as well. the problem is interior imho, it's kinda cheap. i know the new one is better, but the first two yrs the interior is just cheap looking for an infiniti imho. my friend has it and he has soooo many rattles, he said he will not get infiniti again any time soon

good luck man, like i said, drive all, and you will get the answer
Old 01-15-05, 08:38 PM
DrumProdigy83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You just about hit the nail right on the head. I kind of had a feeling about each of those cars. I'd rather have the peace of mind with a Lexus than the added driving excitement of a BMW.... but who knows when the time comes. Once I am totally done with school then I can buy a BMW no problem. I just have this feeling I will end up with the IS300, but I could also see myself with a 330ci... I'll know for sure this spring. Thanks for your help rominl.
Old 01-16-05, 11:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by DrumProdigy83
You just about hit the nail right on the head. I kind of had a feeling about each of those cars. I'd rather have the peace of mind with a Lexus than the added driving excitement of a BMW.... but who knows when the time comes. Once I am totally done with school then I can buy a BMW no problem. I just have this feeling I will end up with the IS300, but I could also see myself with a 330ci... I'll know for sure this spring. Thanks for your help rominl.
you welcome, anything to help. but i agree, if you are ready and have the mindset to change cars every 3 to 4 yrs, then i think getting euro isn't a big problem. but if you want to keep a car, then you gotta think twice

that's what happened to me and my wife. we were thinking about the sc430/ls430 or the m3/911turbo. the turbo is nice, but it basically meant that we would need to get another new car after 4 yrs. i don't think we are ready for that yet.

so the final call was made