IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Installed and Tuned APEXi S-AFC

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-01, 10:47 PM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my APEXi S-AFC installed and dyno tuned at Area 51 Fabrications the other day. The results were very good.
A few months ago my car was dynoed with just the RMM intake and I had 169 rwhp. This time the baseline run was at 172rwhp with the 5zigen fireball exhaust and RMM intake. After a full dyno tuning session we ended up with 185 peak rwhp. HP and torque was increased throughout the power band. I could tell a immediate difference in power when i first drove it. For those who have the RMM intake or Injen... this is a definite alternative to SRT HFI... You have cool gauges to look at too

I like that the afc will monitor my % throttle and rpms. It will record the highest your rpms and % throttle it went to... I cant wait to valet park my car... I will be able to tell if they floored it and exactly what rpm's they took it to! Now I will see how they really drive my car when they park it.
Old 05-08-01, 06:12 AM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Question

Sounds very interesting, any pics of the unit and it's gauges?

too bad there is no camera also for those valet guys...
Old 05-08-01, 10:34 AM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

My friend has my camera right now so as soon as I get it back ill post pics. It mounted the AFC to the left of the steering wheel where there is those change slots. It fits pretty good there.
Old 05-08-01, 11:01 AM
Lexus_IS300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by DevildogIS300
Sounds very interesting, any pics of the unit and it's gauges?

too bad there is no camera also for those valet guys...

the guage is on the S-AFC screen, not seperate. u can see the S-AFC at apexi's page in the electronic section.
Old 05-08-01, 03:57 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

any ideas on what the settings are on the S-AFC? in order to get these kinda gains?
Old 05-08-01, 06:29 PM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

Originally posted by fairuza11
any ideas on what the settings are on the S-AFC? in order to get these kinda gains?
Sorry.. Tuner secrets. The tuner asked me not to tell anyone.. and to be honest I dont even know what they are. What I do know is that our cars run very rich from the factory... you can safely lean it out to get more power. They tapped a whole on one of the exhaust mainfold runners and welded a bung on so a lambda sensor(measures a/f ratio) could be used to properly tune the afc.
Here is a pic of the afc
Old 05-12-01, 07:05 PM
mindflux
Pole Position

Default congrats Black_IS300!!!

Awesome. You gained 13 good hp in your IS just by tuning it. That is awesome considering you have not changed anything more.

I am considering the Super AFC for my old 1995 SC400 which has a custom exhaust and a nice air filter setup. I already played with the ECU a bit and I have a custom ECU monitor installed. I know my ECU is not tunned properly. Since my Lex is a V8 I might even get higher HP numbers by tuning the ECU.

Your setup looks awesome too. Enjoy!

Take care,

Mind
1995 SC400
Old 05-12-01, 07:15 PM
Lexus_IS300
Lead Lap

the reason the tuners want to keep it a secret is to make money! i dont think that's very fair to ask it be kept a secret. its like a newspaper stand selling you a newspaper but tells you not to tell about the articles to anyone. the s-afc is pretty easy to install also. btw brian, i think gabe posted the setting on his thread. black_is300, this reply was not meant to offend you, so i hope you dont get offended by what i have said.

btw, i love your socks/sandals combo jk
Old 05-12-01, 10:37 PM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

If I tuned the thing myself I would have no problem telling you guys the settings. For the best HP increase you would want to get it dyno tuned anyway. I can understand what you are saying though. We all come here to share information and help eachother out. I was specifically asked though not to reveal my settings (and i have no idea what they are). Im sure that not all tuners would do it the same exact way also... and they dont want everyone knowing how they are tweaking it.

LOL.. I just threw something on real quick to run down to my garage. Glad you like it
Old 05-12-01, 10:55 PM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

Default Re: congrats Black_IS300!!!

Originally posted by mindflux
Awesome. You gained 13 good hp in your IS just by tuning it. That is awesome considering you have not changed anything more.

I am considering the Super AFC for my old 1995 SC400 which has a custom exhaust and a nice air filter setup. I already played with the ECU a bit and I have a custom ECU monitor installed. I know my ECU is not tunned properly. Since my Lex is a V8 I might even get higher HP numbers by tuning the ECU.

Your setup looks awesome too. Enjoy!

Take care,

Mind
1995 SC400
I was very happy with the results. And hp is to the Rear wheels! Im sure that you could benefit from a AFC especially because you have intake/exhaust. You could gain a decent amount of hp if tuned properly.
Old 06-11-01, 11:27 AM
eortiz
Rookie

Black IS 300, forgive my ignorance but what does the APEXi S-AFC do? Also, I live in San Diego and pass by Orange county once in awhile, where is Area 51? I'm not talking about the military base
Old 06-11-01, 06:06 PM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

An AFC is a Air Fuel Controller. It adjusts your air/fuel ratio. You can lean the car out, and when you add mods like intake, exhaust, etc.. it will make the ecu compensate for more air coming in... and it will make more power. Area 51 is in the Irvine Auto Center right off the 5. It right across the street from the old BMW dealer. You should stop by and check them out... they always have a bunch of crazy cars down there.
Old 06-12-01, 08:11 AM
eortiz
Rookie

Black_IS300

Thanks! I'll do that. So this is a pretty cool gadget since it will save you gas if you're not "flying". But will give you what you need when you need it. Thanks again.
Old 06-15-01, 08:07 AM
aust182
Rookie

S***! I didn't know Area 51 was in Irvine auto center. That is 5 minutes from my house and I pass it everyday. Turns out TRD is right next door too! They are working the L-Tuned stuff so I am going to try to milk some info out of them. Thanx for the location!!

Last edited by DevilDog; 06-19-01 at 05:24 AM.
Old 06-19-01, 12:06 AM
MarkK
Driver School Candidate

Hey, Black_IS300! Can you give me some hint of how much will the tuner charged me for installation. I have the S-AFC right here, but still looking for someone to tune it. Also do they need the instruction manual, coz I have the Japanese one.

Quick Reply: Installed and Tuned APEXi S-AFC