IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

vizage back lip???

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-04, 04:19 AM
E12ic46
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vizage back lip???

wassup guys...do you guys know any reliable site that sells the vizage back lip for a cheap or decent price??? And is there anyone out there that has the vizage back lip with a HKS hiper exhaust?? Does the exhaust fit in good or does it touch the lip and cause problems??
Old 10-12-04, 09:36 AM
silveraltezza
Driver

For your first question - you might go directly to vizage themselves for the rear lip (www.vizages.com) and check their dealer info.

I have the HKS Dragger II with the full vizage kit. (see picture below). With the Dragger II exhuast tip @ 120mm - it does touch the rear lip slightly. And has burned the underside of the rear lip. If you can find longer exhaust rubber hangers - so the exhuast hangs lower than stock(trade off - probably scrape the exhuast canister more). Touching the rear lip might more pronouce on the Hiper being angled.

sorry don't have better picture of the exhuast and rear lip at the moment.

I did find one picture - paint peeling off because the exhuast was touching the bottom of the rear lip. Don't mind the scratched up rear bumper - some moron on a cellphone rearended me last year . His insurance paid for the whole repaint. Above pic more recent

Last edited by silveraltezza; 10-12-04 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-12-04, 12:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

question, i am not sure if longer tips would help? i thought the problem would be coz' the tip is way too close to the kit and it literally heat up the paint too much?
Old 10-12-04, 02:06 PM
silveraltezza
Driver

I don't think a longer exhuast tip will help. Maybe a smaller diameter tip prolly 80-110 mm should be sufficient . Because right now with the dragger 120mm tip - there's only 1/4-1/2 inch gap between the tip and the rear valence lip.

And when the exhuast heat up it expands closer to the rear valence lip - resulting in burnt bodykit and paint peeling/melting off.

Last edited by silveraltezza; 10-12-04 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-12-04, 05:01 PM
E12ic46
Driver

Originally posted by silveraltezza
I don't think a longer exhuast tip will help. Maybe a smaller diameter tip prolly 80-110 mm should be sufficient . Because right now with the dragger 120mm tip - there's only 1/4-1/2 inch gap between the tip and the rear valence lip.

And when the exhuast heat up it expands closer to the rear valence lip - resulting in burnt bodykit and paint peeling/melting off.

aww man...that sux...what if you stick a piece of wood or something in that quarter inch gap...would that help?? or is the exhaust still gonna melt the paint....about the hangers...would it hang a lot lower because some people were having scraping problems with their hiper...well my car is not dropped yet but it will be in the future.
Old 10-13-04, 09:23 AM
silveraltezza
Driver

Originally posted by E12ic46
aww man...that sux...what if you stick a piece of wood or something in that quarter inch gap...would that help?? or is the exhaust still gonna melt the paint....about the hangers...would it hang a lot lower because some people were having scraping problems with their hiper...well my car is not dropped yet but it will be in the future.
I don't think stick a piece of wood will work - it has to be something permanent or else the wood will just fall out from vibration. Getting longer hangers probably the best solution but you do give up ground clearance - the hiper already hangs low at it is.

Even at stock height - my dragger scraped .

Another solution a member recommended was to buy thermal insulation tape. Put the tape under the rear lip - so when the exhuast taps/hits the rear lip - it theory shield it from the heat.

Here's current picture as of this morning

Front view of the dragger and vizage rear valence - note exhuast is off centered - it's usually centered but due to exhuast vibration and heat expansion it has tendency to move all over the place.

Another angle shot. You can see where the exhuast tip burnt the underside of the rear valence
Old 10-13-04, 11:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

man, talk about the heat huh?
Old 10-14-04, 01:53 AM
E12ic46
Driver

Originally posted by silveraltezza
I don't think stick a piece of wood will work - it has to be something permanent or else the wood will just fall out from vibration. Getting longer hangers probably the best solution but you do give up ground clearance - the hiper already hangs low at it is.

Even at stock height - my dragger scraped .

Another solution a member recommended was to buy thermal insulation tape. Put the tape under the rear lip - so when the exhuast taps/hits the rear lip - it theory shield it from the heat.

Here's current picture as of this morning

Front view of the dragger and vizage rear valence - note exhuast is off centered - it's usually centered but due to exhuast vibration and heat expansion it has tendency to move all over the place.

Another angle shot. You can see where the exhuast tip burnt the underside of the rear valence

I really want to get that lip! The only thing is the burning..do you think the hiper tip is longer than the dragger or is it the same??? And when you installed it, did you take off your whole bumper? According to the pictures I saw in ur album, you had the dragger and then you bought the kit. My friend told me to get those hard rubber hangers to prevent it from moving and customize the size of the hangers.
Old 10-14-04, 09:36 AM
silveraltezza
Driver

Originally posted by E12ic46
I really want to get that lip! The only thing is the burning..do you think the hiper tip is longer than the dragger or is it the same??? And when you installed it, did you take off your whole bumper? According to the pictures I saw in ur album, you had the dragger and then you bought the kit. My friend told me to get those hard rubber hangers to prevent it from moving and customize the size of the hangers.
The hiper has a smaller exhuast tip diameter only 115mm compared to the dragger's 120mm. This should give you enough clearance - so heat should not be an issue. Also, take heed of your friend's advice and get harder exhuast bushing hangers and specify a longer length(find the ideal length between not burning your rear lip and scraping your exhuast )

Installing the rear lip - all the shop did was bolt in on. The bumper stayed on.

Great choice on the rear lip - don't let a little burning dissuade you .