IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Where to ground...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-04, 12:51 PM
Styx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to ground...

Has anyone installed one of the numerous "grounding kits" on their vehicle? I understand the basic principle of it all, but I was curious as to what exactly to connect the ground wires to. Some manufactures sell vehicle specific kits and some sell universal kits...but what do the wires attach to? Thanks...
Old 10-04-04, 09:06 AM
AgSport
Driver School Candidate

Basically, you daisy-chain the varying lengths of cable from the negative side of the battery to each side of the fenders in the engine bay and the upper (intake manifold) and lower portions (some existing grounding point) of the engine to create a beefier grounding loop. I just installed a kit on our new IS (w/ e-shift) and it yielded a much need improvement in shifting and general engine performance. It's something Toyota should have installed from the factory; but bc of cost and ??? it's something we have to do as an aftermarket thing. It's worth every penny of cost and it takes about an hour to do with simple tools.

I'm going to add them to our other Lexus vehicles, too, and expect similar benefits.
Old 10-04-04, 10:53 AM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Originally posted by AgSport
Basically, you daisy-chain the varying lengths of cable from the negative side of the battery to each side of the fenders in the engine bay and the upper (intake manifold) and lower portions (some existing grounding point) of the engine to create a beefier grounding loop. I just installed a kit on our new IS (w/ e-shift) and it yielded a much need improvement in shifting and general engine performance. It's something Toyota should have installed from the factory; but bc of cost and ??? it's something we have to do as an aftermarket thing. It's worth every penny of cost and it takes about an hour to do with simple tools.

I'm going to add them to our other Lexus vehicles, too, and expect similar benefits.
What kind of "general engine performance" improvement did you experience? I really only noticed slightly smooth shifts (on my e-Shift) after installing the grounding kit.
Old 10-04-04, 11:05 AM
AgSport
Driver School Candidate

Most notable was the smoother automatic 1st -> 2nd shifting, as you discoverd. The e-shifting is more positive on 2nd thru 4th gear; but nothing noticed on 4th -> 5th. The engine starts somewhat faster/easier and the engine definitely runs much smoother overall. And acceleration seems to be much smoother and positive (no hesitation).

Last edited by AgSport; 10-04-04 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-04-04, 11:07 AM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Originally posted by AgSport
Most notable was the smoother automatic 1st -> 2nd shifting, as you discoverd. The e-shifting is more positive on 2nd thru 4th gear; but nothing noticed on 4th -> 5th. The engine starts somewhat faster/easier and the engine definitely runs much smoother overall.
I see, thanks. I guess I just didn't pay attention to the quicker startups. The effects of the grounding kit are negligible on my car now with all the other junk in it.