Noob with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-04, 09:01 PM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Noob with some questions

Hi everyone,

I testdrove a 2005 IS300 and I have a lot of basic questions.

First, what are the most major changes that have occured from the 2001 model to till the 2005?

Second, I'm really confused with the all the wheel options for the car. I've searched around different websites, but they list a number of different available wheels. Are the different designs available at a reasonabale cost? I believe the standard wheels are 11 spoke, but I'm really interested in the graphite polished wheels.

Third, how would you all rate the 240 watt, 8 speaker sound system?

Fourth, an IS300 I saw at the dealership had a "sport" badge on the side fender. Whats that about?

And last for now, I know this is a Lexus forum, but I'm also considering the TL and G35. I'm coming from a Acura Legend. I've always been a Honda/Acura fan, and to some degree Infiniti, but I was pleasantly suprised after testdriving the IS300 today. I found the G and TL to be nice, but the TSX was too weak IMO.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by Guy Legend; 10-02-04 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-02-04, 10:11 PM
bboysaturn
Driver School Candidate

#1: http://www.tunedparts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37

#2: can't help you there

#3: it's alright imo, lacking on the bass. (but i'm an audio freak. 12" SE with 1100 watt amp is good enough for me + the 4 channel amp and components)

#4: Sportdesign = $$$

i have a question for you. how did the power differ in the TL and the IS300? my parents are thinking of buying a TL. just wondeing
Old 10-03-04, 10:20 AM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

Thanks.

While the TL is faster on paper, it did not really feel like it. Probably due to the IS's low end torque.

All in all, they felt very simmilar powerwise. However, the G35's I drove both felt faster than these two cars.
Old 10-03-04, 12:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by Guy Legend
Thanks.

While the TL is faster on paper, it did not really feel like it. Probably due to the IS's low end torque.

All in all, they felt very simmilar powerwise. However, the G35's I drove both felt faster than these two cars.
which TL you talking about. if you talk about the 99-03 TL, they are about the same with the is300 in terms of speed. if you talk about 99-03 TL-s, they will eat is300 on straight every day. if you talk about 04 TL, it's just as fast as the previous TL-s

the g35 (sedan i suppose) is about as fast as the TL-s i believe.

for the wheels, there are tons of options, you can always ask here.

for the audio, it's definitely lacking bass. i have the gs400 and it's so much better.

sport design, it's just some cosmetic stuff.
Old 10-05-04, 09:56 AM
TCM080903
Pole Position

Originally posted by bboysaturn
#1: http://www.tunedparts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37

#2: can't help you there

#3: it's alright imo, lacking on the bass. (but i'm an audio freak. 12" SE with 1100 watt amp is good enough for me + the 4 channel amp and components)

#4: Sportdesign = $$$
#1: good link, bboy! i was going to link the is300.net thread on that...

#2: the 5 spokes are standard, although some come with the 11 spokes as well. i'm sure you can talk to your dealer about your rim options. initially, the 11 spokes came only with the 2003 SportDesign edition. in MY 2004, the 11 spokes came on '04 SportDesigns, but were available for non-SD ISs if the buyer so desired (for no add'tal cost). when you're talking about graphite polished rims, are you talking about the 5 spokes? or ?? you're not talking about the chrome ones, correct?

#3: i'm happy with it, but then again, i don't know much about audio systems...

#4: SportDesigns are basically cosmetic mods, as rominl posted...i'd have to say bboy isn't entirely correct though. if you're looking for the full leather/sunroof package anyways, the SD is NOT a lot of money. some dealers will try to play up the whole "harder to find" SD editions, etc. don't be suckered. depending on where you live (and the # of dealerships around), you should be able to find another dealer willing to bargain with you. (if you live in an area with only 1 or 2 dealers, that's tougher. i've got at least 6 lexus dealers within 30-45 min of me.) in fact, i saved money by buying the SD since i wanted the full leather/sunroof, etc...that fact and that i HAD to have the thundercloud metallic exterior with ash grey interior led me to the SD...
Old 10-05-04, 02:47 PM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

Originally posted by TCM080903
#1: good link, bboy! i was going to link the is300.net thread on that...

#2: the 5 spokes are standard, although some come with the 11 spokes as well. i'm sure you can talk to your dealer about your rim options. initially, the 11 spokes came only with the 2003 SportDesign edition. in MY 2004, the 11 spokes came on '04 SportDesigns, but were available for non-SD ISs if the buyer so desired (for no add'tal cost). when you're talking about graphite polished rims, are you talking about the 5 spokes? or ?? you're not talking about the chrome ones, correct?

#3: i'm happy with it, but then again, i don't know much about audio systems...

#4: SportDesigns are basically cosmetic mods, as rominl posted...i'd have to say bboy isn't entirely correct though. if you're looking for the full leather/sunroof package anyways, the SD is NOT a lot of money. some dealers will try to play up the whole "harder to find" SD editions, etc. don't be suckered. depending on where you live (and the # of dealerships around), you should be able to find another dealer willing to bargain with you. (if you live in an area with only 1 or 2 dealers, that's tougher. i've got at least 6 lexus dealers within 30-45 min of me.) in fact, i saved money by buying the SD since i wanted the full leather/sunroof, etc...that fact and that i HAD to have the thundercloud metallic exterior with ash grey interior led me to the SD...

Hmm, I thought that the 11 spoke wheels are standard now. The graphite rims are 11 spoke, look exactly the same except they are gun metal/grey in color. I just read in the brochure that they are a $400 option.

As long as the audio system sounds pleasing (enough bass, good clarity) that's good enough for me.
Old 10-05-04, 03:04 PM
TCM080903
Pole Position

Hmm, I thought that the 11 spoke wheels are standard now. The graphite rims are 11 spoke, look exactly the same except they are gun metal/grey in color. I just read in the brochure that they are a $400 option.

As long as the audio system sounds pleasing (enough bass, good clarity) that's good enough for me.
my bad, yes, you are correct for 2005 models. the 11 spoke alloys are now standard with the graphite 5 spoke rims as a $400 option. (that's what the lexus website states.) it doesn't say anything about graphite 11 spoke rims, although i can tell you those came standard with the black and thundercloud Sportdesigns for MY '04. you could always check to see if anyone's selling them in the forums or see if your dealer will throw them in, as part of the deal.
Old 10-05-04, 09:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

the 11 spokes are now standard?! that sux.... i definitely like my 5 spokes a lot more!
Old 10-05-04, 11:06 PM
YoNadz
Pole Position

Originally posted by rominl
the 11 spokes are now standard?! that sux.... i definitely like my 5 spokes a lot more!
yeah, those 11 spokes are NASTY! The 5 spoke stockies OWN!
Old 10-09-04, 06:09 PM
islex32
Driver

For the audio if you not a audio buff its a great system. I cannot say that I have kept any bit of it, bit its good enough. Nice sound but not too much bass.
Old 10-11-04, 01:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by islex32
For the audio if you not a audio buff its a great system. I cannot say that I have kept any bit of it, bit its good enough. Nice sound but not too much bass.
coz' there is no sub to begin with
Old 10-11-04, 10:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Re: Noob with some questions

Hi everyone,

I testdrove a 2005 IS300 and I have a lot of basic questions.

First, what are the most major changes that have occured from the 2001 model to till the 2005?

The major changes from 2001 on were:

Addition of the Sportcross model

Addition of the 5-speed model

Addition of the bright red and cibola gold colors

Deletion of the auburn sky metallic and solar yellow paint colors...that really SUX.

Addition of Navigation system

Addition of vehicle stability system, seat memory function, limited-slip differential, and 17" all-season tires.
Old 10-11-04, 10:53 AM
machinegt
Pole Position

I've test driven an is300 and acura TL with spirited driving and I can say hands down
that the is300 handles so much better in the corners than the TL. The TL will be fine
for your parents if they don't like sporty driving, but definately shoot for the is300 if they
like to corner fast.
Old 10-11-04, 01:19 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Well, I will say that I have driven all 3 cars and own a g35 currently. But after all the service BS I have been through trying to get my 6MT replaced, and its still not replaced, I am strongly considering going with a IS300.

I recommend the IS300 over the G35 in only terms of reliability and service. HP the G35 wins over both the TL and IS. The G35 and IS in handling are pretty much dead even. The TL is a pig personally. It handles like a FWD car should.