IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

What new versions of the IS300 would you most like to see?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-04, 06:40 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thread. These are what I want to see in the next generation of Lexus IS.

3.0L DOHC V6 producing at least 250hp.
Maintain to be RWD.
6-speed auto and 6-speed manual tranmissions available.
sedan, coupe, wagon available.
Old 08-30-04, 07:23 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Definately a 2-door coupe.
Also an M3 fighter.

It looks like we'll actually see at least these two variations.
Old 08-30-04, 09:22 PM
blondeguy
Driver School Candidate

just put he old supra turbo engine in it and lets have lots of aftermarket support.

Last edited by blondeguy; 09-28-04 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-30-04, 11:10 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

A nice white LLS Shadowboxer cluster in each and every one
Old 09-01-04, 02:51 PM
Black IS30
Driver School Candidate

Supercharged or Turbo'd (to compete with M3)
AWD option
6 speed auto and manual
Old 09-01-04, 03:15 PM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

Default Re: What new versions of the IS300 would you most like to see?

Originally posted by mmarshall
This is for you IS300 owners (like me), IS300 admirers, and those who do not currently own one but are interested in buying a new one. Lexus, of course, like any other auto company, has a limit to their research, marketing, and development budgets, so obviously they cannot offer the IS in every possible form.
But if you had your choice, what would you most like to see offered?

1. Another hatchback / wagon version like the SportCross?
2. An IS430 V8 ?
3. An All-Wheel-Drive IS300 ?............ (This would be my choice).
4. An alternative-fuel or hybrid version?
5. A 2-door or sport coupe?
6. A convertible with a fabric top ?
7. A convertible with a metal top ? (although this might compete with a possible SC330)
8. A high-performance version similiar to the BMW M3 ?
9. New paint colors.
All of them!!
That way they can really take it on with the German brands.
Old 09-09-04, 09:13 AM
Rob L
Rookie

I'd like an IS with a hybrid engine (unlike most here I actually want good fuel economy as I'd rather spend money on other stuff than gas) with an 6 speed SMG type tranny and also I'd want the car to have AWD and have amazing handling. I would maybe like the car to be a tad more powerful than it is now but it really doesn't matter since I don't do drag runs during my daily driving.

I scratch my head trying to figure out why people need 724097639795 HP in their cars but then again, I don't need to try and show off my manhood while driving...I've grown up. I laugh at the people I see trying to race while I am driving around. Way to show off the advanced intelligence humans "supposedly" have.
Old 09-09-04, 10:38 AM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

i know something ya'll dont know. na na na na naaa na

Last edited by amy011079; 09-09-04 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-09-04, 11:19 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally posted by Rob L

I scratch my head trying to figure out why people need 724097639795 HP in their cars but then again, I don't need to try and show off my manhood while driving...I've grown up. I laugh at the people I see trying to race while I am driving around. Way to show off the advanced intelligence humans "supposedly" have.
I totally agree with Rob L....

I would love to have a convertible IS300 with an Hybrid engine...I'm really digging that concept car.
Old 09-09-04, 01:21 PM
brandonbaz
Driver School Candidate

from is300.net

Denny Clements' comments to the LA Times

Today's edition of the Los Angeles Times contains an article on Lexus, which includes comments by General Manager Dennis Clements. Here are the highlights:

Dennis Clements, 59, head of U.S. operations for Lexus...acknowledges that the brand's core market of aging boomers "is not a good one to build an image in."

To keep the marque fresh and draw younger buyers, Lexus is redesigning its entire lineup over the next four years. "You'll see sportier cars, more powerful cars and trucks, [with] a wider range of engines," he said.

Convertible and coupe versions of Lexus' sportiest car, the IS 300 sedan, are due as 2006 models, with a new Lexus sport wagon styled like a lower, leaner SUV expected in 2007. The wagon is the first of a series of new crossovers — wagon or SUV styles built on conventional passenger car platforms — that Lexus is planning, Clements said. Many will be offered both as conventional gasoline-engine vehicles and as hybrids.

All-wheel drive will also become an option on most Lexus vehicles. And an electronic stability control system that the company claims is far ahead of anything now available will debut next year.

"We intend to give our buyers best-in-class performance at all levels," Clements said.

"Lexus, in a very quiet way, is a competitor with ruthlessly applied high standards," Cadillac spokesman Jeff Kuhlman said.

For all the new Lexus models in the works, Clements talks a lot about the need to add a flagship vehicle priced at around $100,000.

Lexus may also introduce a high-performance hybrid sports car that would wildly expand the boundaries of the hybrid genre, he said.

"We may be a lap ahead of the competition, but we act like we're a lap behind," Clements said. "That's what makes us a tough competitor."

For the full text of the article, check out
Old 09-10-04, 02:57 AM
Skinny
Driver

I think it would be great if Lexus mimmicked the BMW 3-series range to a degree.

I think maybe they could initially do without a wagon version as not that many wagon's are sold anyway.

But what I would definately like to see is this:

1) 2 engine choices perhaps around a 3 or 3.5L V6 as the base engine
and a bigger V6 as a sort of BMW M-competitor. Although I don't see the point of a V8.
I would much rather prefer a turbocharged or supercharged version of their 6 cylinder.

2) Initially they should at least come out with a coupe and sedan versions available with both engines and manual trannies.

3) They should offer AWD with at least the base engine. I hate SUVs but would love to have a IS with a manual transmission and AWD.

4) Later they should add a convertible version of the IS, but only if they are going to make a really competitive car to the 3-series convertible. By this what I mean is a structurally sound car. I have read numerous articles on the SC430 and new Solara Convertible that say they are pretty much flimsy compared to the best cars in their respective classes.

5) Sport packages on the base engine would be nice. with slight aero package, subtle wing on the back, different and bigger wheels, upgraded brakes & suspension and slightly more power.