IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Squeaking sounds after race pipe install

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-04, 12:33 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking sounds after race pipe install

I had a XERD race pipe installed about a month ago, and afterwards I started hearing a squeaking/creaking sound from undernearth and towards the rear of the car.

Well, I had it looked at last weekend. The suspension components are fine and all bolts are tight. It seems to be the exhaust system that's the problem. The bottom of my header (right before the joint with the race pipe) is actually rubbing against the transmission housing! Therefore, after the car's been driving for a little while (after the header has experienced some heat expansion), it actually will touch the transmission bell housing. There is one other area on the exhaust piping that shows indication of rubbing as well.

I've never heard of this happening before. Has anyone else experience this? It may be an artifact of my specific exhaust system combo:
Toyomoto gen 1 header >> XERD race pipe >> Stock b-pipe >> HKS Dragger II exhaust

Please let me know if you guys have any suggestions on getting rid of the noise or any other feedback/similar experience.
Thanks.
Old 07-26-04, 12:44 PM
irv_usc
Lead Lap

the joint probably doesn't match up properly, doesn't the XERD have a much larger flange compared to stock?

i thought i had previously read that XERD components shouldn't be combined with the toyomoto...

anyway why didn't you go with straight toyomoto or straight XERD? i'm sure there are things you can do to fix the rattling of the XERD header/racepipe combo..
Old 07-26-04, 01:08 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Originally posted by irv_usc
the joint probably doesn't match up properly, doesn't the XERD have a much larger flange compared to stock?

i thought i had previously read that XERD components shouldn't be combined with the toyomoto...

anyway why didn't you go with straight toyomoto or straight XERD? i'm sure there are things you can do to fix the rattling of the XERD header/racepipe combo..
I can't remember if the XERD race pipe has a much larger flange. The joint to the header seems fine; otherwise, wouldn't I have a potential exhaust leak? Everything seemed to bolt up fine after I got it installed. I'm pretty sure it's not up-side-down; the bung for the O2 sensor is facing the passenger side, just like the stock y-pipe.

I didn't go for the XERD header because it wouldn't have fit with the PLP Vortech kit and it's relocated ABS control unit.
Old 07-26-04, 01:54 PM
irv_usc
Lead Lap

just off the top of my head, the mounting angle on the xerd pipe is differen't from the angle on the toyo pipe.. i've held both in my hands. since this is the case, the race pipe being mounted on the toyo y-pipe is probably not in the 'proper' position/angle.

not sure if i'm explaining this very well, sorry if i'm confusing you but i only slept 8 hours from fri-sun.. hhaha

therefore the question is, why didn't you get a toyo y-pipe?
Old 07-26-04, 02:03 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

just off the top of my head, the mounting angle on the xerd pipe is differen't from the angle on the toyo pipe.. i've held both in my hands. since this is the case, the race pipe being mounted on the toyo y-pipe is probably not in the 'proper' position/angle.

not sure if i'm explaining this very well, sorry if i'm confusing you but i only slept 8 hours from fri-sun.. hhaha

therefore the question is, why didn't you get a toyo y-pipe?
Well, I didn't get the Toyomoto pipe for a few reasons:
* I got the race pipe around the time when I was getting detontation and throttle response was poor, so I needed something immediately
* Dave (of Tunedparts.com) had the XERD race pipes in stock, and I couldn't wait for a Toyomoto pipe
* I always kinda liked the look of the XERD pipes more, and the fact that they have a slightly larger diameter
Old 07-26-04, 02:15 PM
irv_usc
Lead Lap

i'll try to get a pic or two for you to show you the differences i'm talking about.
Old 07-26-04, 02:22 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

i'll try to get a pic or two for you to show you the differences i'm talking about.
Cool, thanks Irv. For now, there isn't much I can really do except wait for things to wear down enough so that there's no more rubbing.
Old 07-27-04, 04:28 PM
irv_usc
Lead Lap

take it off and shave some material off...
Old 07-28-04, 06:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Lightbulb Try some insulation

Also, you can try attraching a piece of heat insulation between the housing and the pipe where it rubs against it. You may have to use a larger piece and hunt for a couple of attachment points. The insulation should both absorb the exhaust heat and prevent.....or lessen.... the annoying noise you mention.
Old 07-28-04, 08:10 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I kind of like the heat wrap/insulation idea, but what kind and where can I get it?
Old 07-28-04, 08:14 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Most good performance shops carry the exhaust/header wrap. Most of them are made of weaved fiberglass. You may want to ask and see if Exact can obtain some for you. You can find some rolls of this online as well.
Old 07-28-04, 08:17 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Originally posted by flipside909
Most good performance shops carry the exhaust/header wrap. Most of them are made of weaved fiberglass. You may want to ask and see if Exact can obtain some for you. You can find some rolls of this online as well.
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll ask Exact when I'm there tomorrow or Saturday.