IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Is430?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-04, 11:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by GS430lvr
-Uhhh, I disagree, the WRX & Evo are in a similar class...regardless if Lexus is competing directly with the BMW 3-series. In fact there are many IS300 modified rally cars out there racing. I'd opt for a few extra thousand for the IS430 just because of the V-8. Gimme a 6-spd or a paddle shifter and I'll line up at the dealer!
you CAN make the is300 into the same level as the evo and wrx and go on rally if you want, but that doesnt' change how lexus target the is300 against. you never see a magazine putting the is300 together with the wrx and the evo, you see them putting the is300 with "entry level luxury sedans", which the wrx and evo can never touch
Old 07-11-04, 02:47 PM
inline6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another thing i heard that might be off topic>>> the next sc 430's engine will feed as a next toyota supra concept's engine>>says cardesignnews.com
Old 07-12-04, 12:27 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally posted by bchau_gt
I The best would be if Lexus/Toyota would build the IS with a 2JZ-GTE. I think that would be a much better powerplant.
That's my ulitmate goal for my car. A 98+ 2JZ-GTE VVT-i and a nice Getrag 6spd or even the stock Aristo V300 tranny.
Old 07-13-04, 12:52 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by GS430lvr
In fact there are many IS300 modified rally cars out there racing.
What type of Rally's are you talking about?

Mitsu & Subaru compete in the WRC which I consider the top rally series in the world. Lexus is no where to be found in this series.

http://www.wrc.com/

Were not talking rally's like "Gumball" right ?

I'm all for an IS that will compete with M and AMG.

V8 or FI 6, I'll still take one.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 07-13-04 at 12:55 AM.
Old 07-22-04, 08:27 PM
P.Williams
Pit Crew

When I last brought my IS in for service (about a month ago,) I jokingly asked the service manager when the IS would be available with a V8. With a straight face he replied "February." I was shocked, of course, and demanded to know more. He stated that it is supposedly hush-hush at the moment, but Lexus was indeed planning a 4.3L V8-powered IS. It is supposedly going to be built on the current platform and body-style, with some subtle styling cues to differentiate it from the IS300. Horsepower is expected to be 310, if not more. Unfortunately, he hasn't heard anything about a 6-spd manual like the Rod Millen car, but would probably be mated to the new 6-spd E-Shift auto found in the current LS430. The idea is to give Lexus more of a sporting image like BMW.
He seemed pretty convinced that this info was based in fact. Awhile ago a couple of the major car magazines ran spy photos of an IS test mule that was sporting the UZ V8. So, we can be certain that Lexus was serious enough about this to build a prototype and do some testing. I guess we'll find out this winter if it's true.
Old 07-22-04, 09:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by P.Williams
When I last brought my IS in for service (about a month ago,) I jokingly asked the service manager when the IS would be available with a V8. With a straight face he replied "February." I was shocked, of course, and demanded to know more. He stated that it is supposedly hush-hush at the moment, but Lexus was indeed planning a 4.3L V8-powered IS. It is supposedly going to be built on the current platform and body-style, with some subtle styling cues to differentiate it from the IS300. Horsepower is expected to be 310, if not more. Unfortunately, he hasn't heard anything about a 6-spd manual like the Rod Millen car, but would probably be mated to the new 6-spd E-Shift auto found in the current LS430. The idea is to give Lexus more of a sporting image like BMW.
He seemed pretty convinced that this info was based in fact. Awhile ago a couple of the major car magazines ran spy photos of an IS test mule that was sporting the UZ V8. So, we can be certain that Lexus was serious enough about this to build a prototype and do some testing. I guess we'll find out this winter if it's true.
umm.... we will see. from my sources on the roadmap i don't see is430 at all though
Old 07-25-04, 03:00 PM
solo
Lexus Champion

I can promise you that somebody on this board has an IS430. =)

-sOlo-

Last edited by solo; 07-25-04 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-26-04, 11:56 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by solo
I can promise you that somebody on this board has an IS430. =)

-sOlo-
Who?
Old 07-26-04, 06:02 PM
RMMGS4

Originally posted by P.Williams
Nah. Not on the current platform. Don't believe it. Except for the one Solo is talking about !

We know something you don't .

Sorry Richie.
Old 07-26-04, 06:17 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Originally posted by RMMGS4
Nah. Not on the current platform. Don't believe it. Except for the one Solo is talking about !

We know something you don't .

Sorry Richie.
Damn you guys, is this guy with the 430 a NorCal local?
Old 07-26-04, 07:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

wow, you guys mean an IS430, NOT LS430 right?!
Old 07-27-04, 01:35 AM
RMMGS4

Damn you guys, is this guy with the 430 a NorCal local?
Brian,
well you never hung out with us yet.

You're welcome to join our "inner circle", cuz that's the only way you'll know the rest of the story.

mmmuuahhhhhahahahahahahah !

PS - ignor Henry

Last edited by RMMGS4; 07-27-04 at 01:37 AM.
Old 07-27-04, 01:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Brian,

You're welcome to join our "inner circle", cuz that's the only way you'll know the rest of the story.

PS - ignor Henry
god i must have missed something here @_@
Old 07-27-04, 01:39 AM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Brian,

Gee, thanks Glen.

Let me know when you guys are getting together again. I know most of the time it's kind of like an impromptu thing, but if there's anything planned, please let me know. Maybe we can all get together for a weekend gig.
Old 07-27-04, 05:01 AM
solo
Lexus Champion

Gee, thanks Glen.

Let me know when you guys are getting together again. I know most of the time it's kind of like an impromptu thing, but if there's anything planned, please let me know. Maybe we can all get together for a weekend gig.
Brian:

Anticipate a mini meet when my new wheels come in. =)

-sOlo-

275 in rear.

Quick Reply: Is430?