IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Honest Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-04, 08:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
actually insurnace of gs430 would be a lot higher (if compuare new to new) coz' it's a v8.
Not sure about that. Insurance companies usually don't like turbos...especially added-on ones.
Some insurance companies don't consider the GS430 a performance car in spite of its V8...that's why it often pays to ask.
But of course, many other factors affect insurance than just the engine...ticket history, likelihood of the car being stolen, where you live, the age of the car, etc...... My experience is that GEICO has the lowest rates overall.
Old 07-01-04, 10:59 AM
inline6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i had that kind of money and was looking for power...... i would drive to the bmw dealer today and order a black M3 (MSRP 43K) or G35 the way I want it.... an IS 300 with turbo? without any mods? i would think that you would need a big brake coversion for better braking, an exhaust, A pillar gauges and some cosmetics here an there..... a turbo is not like a glade pluggin'... it takes some looking after and a few spark pluggs here and there.

i have a turbo in my 03 civic and it's only fun when im on the onramp....sorry if i seem a bit negative but that is my HONEST opinion another thing i would consider is: finding an Ltune IS 300 and plugging in the turbo. alote of the mods already come courtesy of trd. and if you go to the dealer they still install the Ltune package. goodluck
Old 07-01-04, 02:41 PM
TCM080903
Pole Position

Originally posted by inline6
i have a turbo in my 03 civic and it's only fun when im on the onramp....sorry if i seem a bit negative but that is my HONEST opinion another thing i would consider is: finding an Ltune IS 300 and plugging in the turbo. alote of the mods already come courtesy of trd. and if you go to the dealer they still install the Ltune package. goodluck
the only thing is, the ltuned doesn't come with significant engine performance mods as far as i know (besides the exhaust). you'd get the visual bodykit package, rims, sways, springs, exhaust, etc. i don't think it's worth the money to buy the complete ltuned package brand new from a dealer. you're better off (moneywise) buying stuff on your own, new or used.

honestly, i'd keep the IS, and look at ways to make it quicker, which is apparently what you've already decided. the funny thing is, when i first bought my IS, i was pleasantly surprised at how fast it was (coming from an ex-accord owner). and now when i drive other ppl's cars, i realize how good i have it, the handling, the quickness, etc.

btw, GS owners, i never knew it cost that much to make the GS handle better.
Old 07-01-04, 03:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by TCM080903

btw, GS owners, i never knew it cost that much to make the GS handle better.
gosh you see where my cash is now?
Old 07-03-04, 10:59 PM
jinos
Rookie

Default taking it slow

Well I decided to kick back.. Rather then jump straight to turbo, I bought an Injen Gen 3, TBKO Header / Racepipe with High Flow cat, Borla Exhaust and apexi safc II. Also got some 18x8.5's with 225's all around, I will prolly move to staggered if I end up needing better trac at the rear. I also ordered Tokico HP's (blues) and hotchkis springs / sways. I will post some pics when everything is installed.. Gonna video tape the dyno so I hope to have a good recording of the sound of the engine after mods, also gonna scan in my dyno results..

Hope to provide more info soon... One more question I guess.. If these mods are not enough for me in the grand scheme of things, will I have to replace my new mods to move to SC or Turbo?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by jinos; 07-03-04 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-04-04, 04:38 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Default Re: taking it slow

Originally posted by jinos
Well I decided to kick back.. Rather then jump straight to turbo, I bought an Injen Gen 3, TBKO Header / Racepipe with High Flow cat, Borla Exhaust and apexi safc II. Also got some 18x8.5's with 225's all around, I will prolly move to staggered if I end up needing better trac at the rear. I also ordered Tokico HP's (blues) and hotchkis springs / sways. I will post some pics when everything is installed.. Gonna video tape the dyno so I hope to have a good recording of the sound of the engine after mods, also gonna scan in my dyno results..

Hope to provide more info soon... One more question I guess.. If these mods are not enough for me in the grand scheme of things, will I have to replace my new mods to move to SC or Turbo?

Thanks in advance
To answer you question, if you end up going for a supercharger or turbo, then you will end up replacing your intake. If you decide on a turbo, you will also get rid of your TBKO header, since it'll be replaced by a turbo manifold.

Overall, I think you made some good choices. I hope you enjoy it once everything is installed. One question for you though, what offset are your front wheels? I thought that 8.5" wide wheels in front may be pushing it a little. Also, 225s seem to be a bit narrow for 8.5" wide wheels.
Old 07-05-04, 07:51 AM
jinos
Rookie

Default rims

They are +45 offset and seem to fit fine. If the front end was to bottom out it would rub on the tires, the 225's cover the rim to the edge, there is definitely no room for curb rub, not that I ever want to rub on the curb anyways hehe..

Should have all my parts by the end of this week and I am hoping for a saturday install, will try to get pictures up when Im done.
Old 07-05-04, 10:54 AM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Default Re: rims

Originally posted by jinos
They are +45 offset and seem to fit fine. If the front end was to bottom out it would rub on the tires, the 225's cover the rim to the edge, there is definitely no room for curb rub, not that I ever want to rub on the curb anyways hehe..

Should have all my parts by the end of this week and I am hoping for a saturday install, will try to get pictures up when Im done.
I hope you don't rub after you lower the car. I just haven't heard of many people running 8.5" wide wheels in front without fender modifications. And I figured people usually put 235-255s on 8.5" wheels.

Good luck with the installs jinos. BTW, what wheels did you get?
Old 07-05-04, 11:05 AM
jinos
Rookie

Default kazera kza

Got a set of Kazera KZ-A's from tirerack. Could not find anything bad about them anywhere on the net and they weigh 22.5 so just about the same as the stock 17". With the yokohama tires the wheel weight stayed the same if not a touch lighter then stock . I will post pictures of everything soon.

Old 07-07-04, 02:29 PM
oneeyejack
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have those same wheels. i have 255's in the rear and with if you shave your fenders the 255's fit fine. i also got 225's in the front.