put plug back in with new gasket

and refill

about how much on the refill ??

might be doing this for a friend

just wanted to make sure it was this easy

it would be for the 30000 check up

thanks

johnny

also anyone ever do a DIY with pics on this ??
Old 01-30-05, 11:03 AM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you were to try and save some $$$$$. This is the best method of flushing out your tranny fluid besides the pump machine method. You would need to have two people to do this properly.
1. locate the tranny drain plug and drain the tranny.
2. drop the tranny pan and change out the filter.
3. put back the tranny pan and remember to replace a new gasket in the place of the old one on the tranny drain plug.
3. Fill in about two quarts of fresh new fluid into the tranny dip stick.
4. **Now take off your front bumper along with the splash covering on the bottom of your car.
5. Locate the tranny line that is coming out of the transmission..(This line is usually on the right hand side near the bottom of the radiator that is connected to the radiator itself.)
6. Disconnect that line and take a few gallon jug and have one friend hold that line into the mouth of a milk jug.
7. Start the engine and while your friend is holding the hose into the milk jug, you should be slowly pour in new fluid where the tranny dipstick is.
8. Keep pouring until you see clear fluid being pushed out of the transmission line where your friend is holding the line to the milk jug.
9. Reconnect that line back into the radiator and fill the tranny back up to proper level.
10. Bolt back the bumper and enjoy your newly DIY tranny flush.

***Remember, the IS300 only takes about 2.4 qts. to fill it up. But for this method of flushing, you would like to have around 10 qts. or a little more. The cost is only $3.82/qts.

Also after you have done this flush, try draining your old tranny fluid every 15-20k miles and just do the simple drain and flush method. After all, it's only gonna cost you ~$12 for a tranny drain and fill if you do it by yourself.

Lastly, I've found that this method of draining and fill flushes out about 85% of the old fluid.
Old 01-30-05, 11:05 AM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipside909
At Luxury Motorworks (Monrovia), they did my 15k service which included, oil change & filter w/ genuine toyota parts, drain & refill tranny w/genuine Toyota Type T fluid, and drain and fill the differential. All for about $150.
I hate you californians. The price they charge you guys for the manteniance is just crazy. If it was this cheap where I live, I would not even bother to do any of the work myself. This cost is just ridicilous. It almost doesn't even cover cost.
Old 01-30-05, 01:45 PM
van48
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
I hate you californians. The price they charge you guys for the manteniance is just crazy. If it was this cheap where I live, I would not even bother to do any of the work myself. This cost is just ridicilous. It almost doesn't even cover cost.
dont know about you, but i enjoy working on my car and i know what goes on with my carwhen i work on it.
Old 01-30-05, 07:21 PM
grego2
Driver

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
If you were to try and save some $$$$$. This is the best method of flushing out your tranny fluid besides the pump machine method. You would need to have two people to do this properly.
1. locate the tranny drain plug and drain the tranny.
2. drop the tranny pan and change out the filter.
3. put back the tranny pan and remember to replace a new gasket in the place of the old one on the tranny drain plug.
3. Fill in about two quarts of fresh new fluid into the tranny dip stick.
4. **Now take off your front bumper along with the splash covering on the bottom of your car.
5. Locate the tranny line that is coming out of the transmission..(This line is usually on the right hand side near the bottom of the radiator that is connected to the radiator itself.)
6. Disconnect that line and take a few gallon jug and have one friend hold that line into the mouth of a milk jug.
7. Start the engine and while your friend is holding the hose into the milk jug, you should be slowly pour in new fluid where the tranny dipstick is.
8. Keep pouring until you see clear fluid being pushed out of the transmission line where your friend is holding the line to the milk jug.
9. Reconnect that line back into the radiator and fill the tranny back up to proper level.
10. Bolt back the bumper and enjoy your newly DIY tranny flush.

***Remember, the IS300 only takes about 2.4 qts. to fill it up. But for this method of flushing, you would like to have around 10 qts. or a little more. The cost is only $3.82/qts.

Also after you have done this flush, try draining your old tranny fluid every 15-20k miles and just do the simple drain and flush method. After all, it's only gonna cost you ~$12 for a tranny drain and fill if you do it by yourself.

Lastly, I've found that this method of draining and fill flushes out about 85% of the old fluid.
You are asking for alot of trouble to do this in your garage.
Take off your bumper?
You do realize that you can get to the trans cooler lines by just removing the lower splash pan right? On most of the cars you can see the lines and hoses by just opening the hood and looking at the bottom of the radiator.
Most people find that taking it to a dealer or a qualified shop is much less messy.
And why does everyone want to replace the trans filter? It is a lifetime filter. That is like asking any Toyota or Lexus certified tech if they change fuel filters, they just don't do it.
Leave the trans filter alone!!!!

Last edited by grego2; 01-30-05 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-31-05, 05:00 PM
van48
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by grego2
You are asking for alot of trouble to do this in your garage.
Take off your bumper?
You do realize that you can get to the trans cooler lines by just removing the lower splash pan right? On most of the cars you can see the lines and hoses by just opening the hood and looking at the bottom of the radiator.
Most people find that taking it to a dealer or a qualified shop is much less messy.
And why does everyone want to replace the trans filter? It is a lifetime filter. That is like asking any Toyota or Lexus certified tech if they change fuel filters, they just don't do it.
Leave the trans filter alone!!!!
yeah i think its made out of medal and you can just clean it.