Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Larger Pictures

Pics from the pressroom
Attached Thumbnails new style IS3XX?-lf-ca.jpg  
Old 04-09-04, 07:43 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

More. Wish I knew how to add multiple images on clublexus. I think it's disabled in the forum software.

Actually, I see EvgeshaIS300 has posted them in the car chat area - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=116240

Enjoy.
Old 04-09-04, 08:41 AM
Skinny
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pfsacer,

pfsacer,

It is ridiculous to expect 300bhp. Why? The "rumor" is that the GS300 will have 245bhp, not 270 or 300.

Second, the G35 has 265 or whatever and if the 330 comes with 270, why would Lexus want to do 300?

Lexus has already stated they aren't going to play the horsepower game.

Also, before the IS300 comes with 300bhp from a V6, they would need to boost the power of the SC430, LS430, and GS430. And for the forseeable future it doesn't seem like base versions of the SC V8 and LS V8 will be going over 350bhp.

And I meant 240/250 BHP V6, not V8.
Old 04-09-04, 09:05 AM
pfsacer
Driver

Skinny, lets go rumor versus rumor here for a little bit.

I was referring to an article that was on autoexpress last week, and also published by Autospies.
My guess is as good as yours, and manufacturers are not going to release any viable info as far as engines go 12 to 18 months before a car hits the streets, maybe to keep a competitive edge ??

If this rumor is true, than my guess is not that far fetched, because it would mean that they will have 2 base engines a 3.5L/V6-300hp and a 5.0L/V8-400hp, this would make sense since the GS300/GS400 could use a litlle more horses as well, so why not come with a different ieration of the current 3.3L/4.3L engine churning out more hp.
There have been tuning projects that get 480hp out of a 4.3L bored to 5.0L already so 400hp is very well possible, as for the current 3.3 (240hp), with an enlargement to 3.5 and some tuning 300hp is also very viable.

But again my guess is based on the following article, and if it is true, it would also mean that the Lexus AMG/M division is reality as well because that could be the GT extension offering the hybrid in addition to the aformentioned gas-engines.

As far as the Beamer goes 270 is for starters, they will come out with a whole lot more, better check the German publications (330turbo with 350hp, M3 with 400hp V8 etc.....)

Here is the link to the article http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/?<a hre...zda_banner</a>

And to save you time here is the article it self, I for one would like to believe it is true, wouldn't you ? (unless your driving a Beamer

Mean, Green Lexus On Way

hings look set to get highly charged at Toyota. The company intends to enter the performance saloon market with a family of Lexus models that will all feature hybrid technology.

Engineers are currently working on two machines, one of which will be a new version of the flagship LS. However, first to hit the road will be the GS350 GT, which was unveiled at the Detroit Motor Show. Expected in August 2005 and aimed at the Mercedes E55 AMG, it will mark Lexus' first anniversary of sales in Japan, and sport a 300bhp 3.5-litre V6 mated to a 170bhp electric motor. Offering an astounding 470bhp, the car will feature all-wheel drive and be capable of around 60mpg.

But if you think that sounds impressive, then just wait another 12 months, when Lexus' ultimate hybrid - the LS500 GT - will appear. Combining a 400bhp 5.0-litre V8 with a 200bhp electric motor, the car will offer at least 600bhp and be targeted at the Mercedes S-Class flagship, the S600L.

Thanks

ADVERTISEMENT

to predicted improvements in battery technology, economy of more than 50mpg is expected - double the standards set by traditional petrol engines of equivalent performance.

But the march to bring eco-friendly performance technology to Lexus models won't stop there. The firm's popular IS will inherit a new flagship when it is replaced in 2006. The IS350 GT will offer a tuned version of the 3.5-litre V6 that will be in the GS. However, it's not clear if it will sport a hybrid powerplant, although it may integrate some of the bigger syst***s fuel-saving technology, including engine stop and start systems which save fuel in stationary traffic.

For now, the cost of hybrid technology means it's likely to be reserved for Toyota and Lexus' most expensive models. However, at the Geneva Motor Show this month, one Toyota insider told us that the company was committed to hybrid cars, and that ultimately they will be available right across both ranges.
Peter Lyon

Comments: 0 Article from: Auto Express

[B]
Old 04-09-04, 11:00 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with pfsacer. Skinny, I think Lexus stated they would play the HP game is a statement from at least 2 years back.

I do agree I can't see Lexus adding Horsepower at the expense of the fuel economoy. It's already common knowledge that Lexus expects all of it's vehicles to by Hybrids by 07-08. It's also common knowledge that the to be released RX400 will have more HP and much greater acceleration that it's V6 cousin the 330. So we know better performance comes with the Hybrids.

All of that coupled with the autoexpress article, I think Lexus is definitely going to play in the HP game, but they are changing the rules. If any of these rumors are even close they'll win too. Imagine a 470hp GS getting 60mpg or a 600hp LS getting 50-55mpg. It is very possible.

I read a while back in popular science they were toting a 4 or 600 hp hybrid (do a search on popsci.com). This was over 2 years ago. It looks like this technology is a reality.
Old 04-09-04, 11:29 AM
pfsacer
Driver

All together I hope (and tend to believe) that 2005 and 2006 will be great years if you are in the market for a new Lexus.

Those years will give us a new GS, a new IS, a new LS, an HPX (?) and hybrid technology and the AMG/M Lexus division.

Lets hope they give us what we want and at a reasonable cost with no degradation in reliability
Old 04-09-04, 11:32 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

According to the Danny Clements speech I posted in the Car Chat area, it looks like a new SUV this year.

Here's a clip

Another example of product diversification is in the Lexus SUV lineup - the most complete in the luxury market.
Today, Lexus dominates the segment with more than one in four luxury SUVs sold bearing the Lexus nameplate, and our RX 330 is the #1 luxury sport utility in the market.

Nearly every buyer can already find the features and price point he or she is seeking in our RX, GX and LX sport utilities.
Nevertheless, we will add a fourth SUV to our lineup this year...offering even more selection.
Old 04-09-04, 11:40 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Has to be the Hybrid
Old 04-09-04, 11:40 AM
pfsacer
Driver

looknow12 that has to be an HPX concept based SUV, with a V8 and hybrid ?

This is going to be fun when they hit the roads
Old 04-09-04, 11:42 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by pfsacer
looknow12 that has to be an HPX concept based SUV, with a V8 and hybrid ?

This is going to be fun when they hit the roads
See my last post, this has to be the Hybrid despite how Clements worded it. I can't imagine there's another vehicle out there that will be released in 9 months and that no one has heard of.
Old 04-09-04, 11:50 AM
pfsacer
Driver

Wink

I know because the only one that is coming out is the RX400h but thta is part of the RX line-up.

Sofar they have been showing the HPX since the Japan Autoshow on every autoshow, I think your right would be interesting to see what gas-engine it has (besides the hybrid part) because that could give a good indication as to what engine will be in the new GS coming in March 2005.

Lets hope it is a 300hp-V6 and a 400hp V8 (as a base engine) with hybrid option

BTW I read the popsci article on hybrid, and it definitely shows great potential, this could change parts of the magazine testing completely if 0-60 times drop below 3 seconds.

They would have to start at 0-100
Old 04-09-04, 12:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well it seems to me that lexus will play a bit on the hp game, but not just boost up one engine. instead they would put TWO engines in the ar for the power they need, at the same time save gas. that's one promise toyota made -- make it cleaner
Old 04-09-04, 01:02 PM
pfsacer
Driver

Wink

Yes but besides that (if the rumor is true) they would start-out with a 300hp-V6 and 400hp-V8, which alone would be a big improvement.

If we will see on top of that the hybrid (option ?) that would be the icing on the cake and improve fule economy as well as acceleration

If it is still reliable and affordable they have a hit, and I will have a blast and wait gfor the GS500GT (?)
Old 04-09-04, 05:55 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

great write up pfsacer

300hps from 3.5L engine from toyota engineering is very possible and it has to be true inorder to survive for next gen IS
i dont care about those IS500 or IS350GT since i am not buying them cz i cant afford it
even lexus said they are not a big fan of big hps number, remember, IS is for sporty, they need big hps numbers on it.
now 2JZ-GE is one of the best silky smooth in line 6 cast iron block engines out there but 215 hps stock power wont do any good nowsaday
it's no secret that lexus missed their target 3 series this time and i am very sure that lexus wont miss it again.
look at all those cars in 30-37K area. TL (FWD)3.2 makes 270, VQ 3.5 from infiniti G35 makes 260/280
etc etc...

my point is I just wish that the rumors are dead true.
Old 04-10-04, 12:17 PM
pfsacer
Driver

Thanks ISinnXL,

I hope the rumors are true, so we will have both a 300hp V6 (IS, GS) and 400hp V8 (GS,LS) as a base.
I am waiting to see what happens with the GS looking to buy the V8 version, saving already for it

Quick Reply: new style IS3XX?