IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

new style IS3XX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-04, 02:13 PM
pfsacer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Skinny, why is a base IS with 300hp ludicrous ?

Looking at the BMW coming with between 270 to 300 for their new 330.

Also the GS will come with as far as rumors go sofar with at least 270 (V6-3.5L).
This engine might be the same just in a different tuning stage

Again my presumption is based on the GS350GT rumor that talks about a 3.5L-V6 with 300HP teamed with a 170 hp electric drivetrain

Since we are still 18 months away from the new IS, I would think 300hp is not that ludicrous IMO

Thanks for the pic link BTW

Plus what is the use of a V8 with "only 240/250hp" ? (see below official Lexus press release)

Lexus Unveils Luxury Sports Coupe Concept
Third in a Series that Reflects Company's New Design Direction

click photo to preview

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

04/08/2004 New York, NY

Lexus introduced its third new concept design within a year when it unveiled the LF-C luxury sports coupe concept car at the New York International Auto Show today. The LF series of concept vehicles is designed to define and launch an entirely new direction in styling for the Lexus brand. The LF-C provides a hint of the direction Lexus is considering for the next generation IS 300 sports car.

"Design is among the most important differentiating factors between any two products and the LF-C expands the current IS 300 sport sedan into a new category previously not addressed in the Lexus lineup," said Lexus Group Vice President and General Manager Denny Clements. "The LF-C concept is designed to target an extremely young, affluent buyer with a strong element of surprise."

The surprise is provided by stylists from the Calty Design Research Center in the form of a 4-position retractable hardtop in the LF-C. The unique hardtop design allows the car to transform itself at the touch of a button from a coupe to a convertible, to a targa or to a speedster, depending on the driver's mood. The powered top stows neatly into the trunk through a surprisingly minimal rear-deck opening.

A large rear wheel drive platform utilizes a high-output, front-mounted V8 engine with a six-speed sequential automatic transmission as the basis and motivating force for the LF-C. With an expanded wheelbase of 5.1 inches, the LF-C is only slightly longer overall than the current IS 300. Significantly, the LF-C sits about 2.0 inches lower and is nearly five inches wider than the current IS 300. The broad stance and short overhangs strike an aggressive pose with ample dimensions to comfortably accommodate four adult passengers.

"We used a combination of convex and concave surfaces to control the balance of light and shadow on the car which creates this beautiful contrast of having sharp lines within the sculpted exterior surfaces," said Kevin Hunter, vice president of Calty Design Research, Inc. "The idea was to create a sense of strength and softness at the same time, adding an air of mystery."

Calty used long, integrated lines to simplify the overall form of the LF-C. The distinctive roof rail tapers as it moves forward from the rear, mimicking the sculpted theme of the main body. The extreme tapering of the main body shape from front to rear, which is then wrapped and interlocked by the rear fenders, is designed to show strength and power from every angle.

The interior communicates performance with drive-by-wire steering and Formula One inspired shifter and steering wheel with the gauges stacked along the steering column axis, ascending toward the base of the windshield. The gauges are transparent, with needles moving from the ring, rather than the center.

A dynamic and flowing center console, in a solid tapered form, runs the length of the interior. Displays and controls are hidden beneath this transparent console surface that is multi-layered, which creates a sophisticated, high-tech look and feel. The console is flanked on each side by arched, wing-like instrument panels situated low in front of the driver and passenger to create a feeling of openness.

Four lightweight individual bucket seats use slender shapes inspired by modern stemware to create a contrast of sport and elegance. The effect provides roominess along with a snug and secure feeling.

"We've known for some time that if Lexus ever prioritized styling the way we have product quality and advanced technology, we would once again change the luxury car playing field," said Clements. "The LF-C is a stunning example of how Lexus will address the future and change it at the same time."

Specifications
Wheelbase: 110.0 in.
Length: 178.7 in.
Width: 73.0 in.
Height: 53.5 in.
Engine: High-Output Double Overhead Cam V8
Transmission: 6-Speed Sequential A/T
Layout: Front engine, rear drive
Tire - Front: 245/35 ZR20
Rear: 285/30 ZR21
Wheel Size - Front: 20 x 9 in.
Rear: 21 x 10.5 in.
Old 04-08-04, 02:45 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

300HPS for the base??????
Old 04-08-04, 03:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

hp increase in the trend, no doubt about it. acura tl is 270 hp. g35 is 260 hp. the new 330 would be in that range, so with the 3.5 v6 lexus should be able to do 300hp base model, that makes perfect sense. if they keep the car at 240hp it's just plain dumb. i understand all about lexus isn't after performance, but if they continue to keep these low hp numbers, it's not bringing them anywhere. didn't we all talk about how stupid honda is to continue keeping the v6 in the flagship rl?

well pfsacer, actaully my concern is that the is350gt with 300hp + 170hp (let's say we can add things up, i was trying to make it more easy to understand) = 470hp. and then we have the is500 with v8 400hp. obviously the is350gt would kill the is500. however, the price of is500 would be more than likely MORE than the is350gt. if that's the case, why would people buy the is500?!

it's not like the debate between the s55 and the s600, where both are about as fast stock but the s600 is a lot more expensive. that talk doesn't apply here on the is3xx category

very interesting what lexus is after
Old 04-08-04, 03:10 PM
pfsacer
Driver

rominl, I agree with you it wouldn;t make sense if the hp-figures can be added for the total of 470 as opposed to 400 for the V8

Unless Lexus is aiming at power-hungry and milage concious people ?
I still think you cannot just add the 2 figures, unless you go full throttle all the time, because what I understood is that in City cycle the electric motors only do the job (unless full throttle is applied), when more power is needed the gas-engine comes in, but I do not know if the electric than stops working

Lets hope Lexus will get more performance oriented (at least with some models IS and GS ?)

Also there are rumors that the new Supra might have a V8, this might tell us something too
Old 04-08-04, 03:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by pfsacer
rominl, I agree with you it wouldn;t make sense if the hp-figures can be added for the total of 470 as opposed to 400 for the V8

I still think you cannot just add the 2 figures, unless you go full throttle all the time, because what I understood is that in City cycle the electric motors only do the job (unless full throttle is applied), when more power is needed the gas-engine comes in, but I do not know if the electric than stops working

Lets hope Lexus will get more performance oriented (at least with some models IS and GS ?)

Also there are rumors that the new Supra might have a V8, this might tell us something too
you are right about how it works, they don't always work together, but i had a feeling that when you really punch it it uses both engines. so i guess it's safe to say that "effectively" the car might have less than 470hp.

who knows, maybe lexus found a very cheap way to make v8 now?
Old 04-08-04, 03:30 PM
pfsacer
Driver

Talking

I guess

Let's hope it is true and that the HP figures are correct, than we can have some real fun
Reliability is important, but in combination with more power I like it even better
Old 04-08-04, 05:16 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by pfsacer

i heard that toyota has no intentions to bring back Supra back which is very sad.

i like this new LF-C. i just hope that they came out sooner than 2 years from now

i think that IS350GT would be top of the line like M3 since it has more HPS and better gas milage

either way i m sure that i cant afford IS350GT or IS500 and i would be happy with the base IS350
Old 04-08-04, 05:17 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by rominl
you are right about how it works, they don't always work together, but i had a feeling that when you really punch it it uses both engines. so i guess it's safe to say that "effectively" the car might have less than 470hp.

who knows, maybe lexus found a very cheap way to make v8 now?
i heard that toyota has been pulling out TRITON V8 from FORD 150s in the junk yards. lol
Old 04-08-04, 05:24 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

one more thing, there's less love on IS on this fourms
significant less responds to these theads compare to when new GS came out
may be because this is a concept version
Old 04-08-04, 05:45 PM
LexFather

Again, I boldy predict. 3.3 liter V-6 for the IS and finally the IS 430. the 4.3 liter V-8 will be available. By Lexus stuffing the V-8 in the current IS and now the IS coupe concept, I think it is coming. Lexus has stated that the next IS will offer more than one engine.
Old 04-08-04, 07:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by ISinnXL
one more thing, there's less love on IS on this fourms
significant less responds to these theads compare to when new GS came out
may be because this is a concept version
hahah well, the new IS looks so promising that everyone is busying selling theirs now?
Old 04-08-04, 07:10 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

hahah well, the new IS looks so promising that everyone is busying selling theirs now?
So are you busy too?
Old 04-08-04, 10:09 PM
G2FAST
Lead Lap

Any pictures of this 06-07 ISXXX? I know the show was today anyone have information?
Old 04-08-04, 11:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by ISinnXL
So are you busy too?
yup i am getting rid of mine already unfortunately
Old 04-09-04, 12:00 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

yup i am getting rid of mine already unfortunately
oh so you gonna wait for the new IS too. great!
let's do GB on this one

Quick Reply: new style IS3XX?