IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

A comparison: BMW 330, Lexus IS300, and others..

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-04, 02:20 PM
azari
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A comparison: BMW 330, Lexus IS300, and others..

Has anyone driven both of these cars? If so, give your take on both of them, and say which is a better buy. Please try your best to be unbiased ( I know it maybe a hard thing to do, especially if you own an IS300, or are just a lexus fan). How were they similar, how did they differ? What are some of the strengths and weaknesses (cons/pros) of each? Which is more fun to drive? I am especially interested in seeing the comparison between manual transmission cars for both (but if you haven't test driven manual, automatic will do). Thanks
Old 02-08-04, 02:22 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a member here named SDuquette that owns both, I believe the IS is wifes, and the 330 is his, or something like that.

Do a search for his name, he has compared both vehicles! Hope this helps!
Old 02-08-04, 02:23 PM
SDuquette
Lexus Test Driver

Yeha, I have a IS300 manual, and the wife a 325ci manual. What do you want to know?
Old 02-08-04, 02:57 PM
azari
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

everything, lol... How they both drive, how they handle,,, pros and cons for each, and which is a better buy?
Old 02-08-04, 03:06 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

The 330i is a very fine car other than the hefty price tag. If money wasn't an issue, a 330i would definitely be in my driveway. But then again, i'm not interested in expensive maintenance costs of a BMW (i.e. their notorious brake eating nature).
Old 02-08-04, 04:19 PM
Wino_ii
Driver School Candidate

driven both along with many other cars...love the IS300 still especially turbo IS300s.
Old 02-08-04, 08:01 PM
SDuquette
Lexus Test Driver

comparing a 325 to an is300 may not be a comparison in acceleration, but in most other ways they are similar and different. they both brake excellent, both handle excellent, and both drive very nice. Some of the biggest difference I notice it the mechanical nature of the BMW compared to the smooth nature of the Lexus. Everything seems to make a particular sound on the BMW. the doors close with a click, the starter, the little vroom when you start it, the exhaust when you start going, the feel of the windows, the sound of the locks, everything seems to let you know it's operating. The Lexus on the other hand is almost like everything works behind the scenes, and it all just comes together. they both feel sloid, both feel comfortable, and both make driving enjoyable. I probably should have opted for the 330ci, but I was very aprehensive about buying a german car, mostly because Japanese build theirs so damn good, but so far I only have one complaint on the car, and that is that the shifts are way too long, that is something they should have consulted toyota on, because shifting the IS is a dream.
Old 02-08-04, 11:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

well i will just throw in my 2 cents quick.

i had the 2002 acura tl type s. that car is fast on straight, just fast. handling is ok, better with mods. but being a fwd that car can never tough the is300 or the 330i at all. that car is best bang for the bucks for sure, you pay a lot less for a lot of neat stuff. quality is ok, not that impressive compared to the other two cars, not as solidly built i would put it. a very big problem is the brakes imho. it's just horrible

i have the is300 now. the car is slow, that's pretty diappointing, but the 5 speed give me back some fun on the car. the handling though is surprisingly good. even stock form i can run on curves with tons of fun. the rear seat and the trunk is kinda small though. the front is less comfort compared to the tl-s, but the seat support is excellent. quality wise, you know my answer -- awesome

i don't have 330i and never own it, but i have driven it in couple of occasions. simply put, don't get fooled by the non-impressive numbers, that car is fast. it's just as fast as the tl-s i think, if you get the manual then you get the best of both worlds. handling hands down it's awesome. and the brakes of the car is just stupidly good i have to say. the car feels very solid, but as usual, little problems here and there bug you over the yrs
Old 02-09-04, 08:24 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally posted by rominl

i had the 2002 acura tl type s. that car is fast on straight, just fast. handling is ok, better with mods. but being a fwd that car can never tough the is300 or the 330i at all.
Yeah very good point about FWD. I'm coming from a 1999 Solara SE V6 5spd Manual with a few mods. My Eibach springs/Tokico Struts and 18" wheels, TRD short shifter, Greddy Evo were no match for a stock IS300 in the twisties. Ever since that canyon carving trip up Mt Hamilton in the South Bay w/r.maestas back in March 2003, that's what sold me on the IS300. Sure my car was pretty fast in the straight line...but it wasn't so fast in the twisties. I had a hard time trying to catch up to r.maestas on many curvy stretches. He had stock everything at the time and was impressed by the IS300's handling dynamics. That's what definitely what convinced me to get an IS300 even more. Yes I would have gotten a manual, but with my heavy traffic commutes, it is not feasible for me. Even if it is an auto, it's more fun to drive than my Solara, despite the fact it was a manual and with many mods.

P.S. the Solara is still for sale.
Old 02-12-04, 07:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Re: A comparison: BMW 330, Lexus IS300, and others..

Originally posted by azari
Has anyone driven both of these cars? If so, give your take on both of them, and say which is a better buy. Please try your best to be unbiased ( I know it maybe a hard thing to do, especially if you own an IS300, or are just a lexus fan). How were they similar, how did they differ? What are some of the strengths and weaknesses (cons/pros) of each? Which is more fun to drive? I am especially interested in seeing the comparison between manual transmission cars for both (but if you haven't test driven manual, automatic will do). Thanks
The 330....and most of the 3-series.....seems to have deteriorated somewhat in build quality in the last few years. Thinner sheet metal, tinnier-sounding doors, flimsier hardware, a higher defect rate, etc.. The IS300 blows the 3-series cars away in this area...build quality.
But, having driven both, I can say the Bimmer is a little more of a driver's car....I agree with the auto magazines in this area. Its steering feel is a little more direct, the automatic shifts a little crisper, its instruments easier to read at a glance. If you like the 330i, my advice is get one before Chris Bangle and his cronies screw it up like they did the 5 and 7-series and put the I-Drive in it.
So in short, if you are a hard driver or like a precision feel, get the Bimmer....and be prepared for high maintenance costs and repairs . Otherwise, get the IS300...it is a much higher quality car....and I think you will be happier with it in the long run.
Old 02-12-04, 09:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Re: Re: A comparison: BMW 330, Lexus IS300, and others..

Originally posted by mmarshall
The 330....and most of the 3-series.....seems to have deteriorated somewhat in build quality in the last few years. Thinner sheet metal, tinnier-sounding doors, flimsier hardware, a higher defect rate, etc.. The IS300 blows the 3-series cars away in this area...build quality.
But, having driven both, I can say the Bimmer is a little more of a driver's car....I agree with the auto magazines in this area. Its steering feel is a little more direct, the automatic shifts a little crisper, its instruments easier to read at a glance. If you like the 330i, my advice is get one before Chris Bangle and his cronies screw it up like they did the 5 and 7-series and put the I-Drive in it.
So in short, if you are a hard driver or like a precision feel, get the Bimmer....and be prepared for high maintenance costs and repairs . Otherwise, get the IS300...it is a much higher quality car....and I think you will be happier with it in the long run.
can't agree with you more
Old 02-12-04, 06:42 PM
_DAG_
Driver

Default is vs bmw

Amen to that, Lexus is definitely a higher quality car. My dad's BMW, a '91 850i, caught on fire. Electrical malfunction in the engine. Totalled the car... and the tree above it. Japanese manufacturers are widely known to have great build quality, and in fact the Dallas Morning News rated Lexus as having the best reliability, just on top of Acura. Besides aren't there more mods for japanese cars than for german ones that would make an IS faster than a 3-series?
Old 02-14-04, 10:06 AM
LexusDaisy
Rookie

Default Power to the People!

Although the IS is relatively fast, a BMW 330 would finish the 1/4 mile about 100 yards ahead of the little Lex, and a M3 would almost be out of sight.

Why is the IS so underpowered? I am a big Lexus fan, and was looking for something that would hang with the Hun, but that didn't happen. Isn't the motor based on the Supra engine? Why is it so de-tuned?

Bring back the twin turbo Supra engine, then go looking for M3s to pick on!
Old 02-14-04, 10:24 AM
_DAG_
Driver

by LexusDaisy:
Although the IS is relatively fast, a BMW 330 would finish the 1/4 mile about 100 yards ahead of the little Lex, and a M3 would almost be out of sight.
Well, for this incompetence, Lexus has an IS430 (read: not LS) in the works. In the future it plans more models to compete specifically with the range in cars that BMW and Mercedes now offer. You can read about Lexus' future at is300.net's article.
Old 02-14-04, 01:57 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Default Re: Power to the People!

Originally posted by LexusDaisy
Although the IS is relatively fast, a BMW 330 would finish the 1/4 mile about 100 yards ahead of the little Lex
I think you're judgements are a little over inflated. The BMW 330i would actually finish 100 yards ahead of your ES300...not the IS.

Quick Reply: A comparison: BMW 330, Lexus IS300, and others..