Thinking of coming to an ISF from an M3

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-15, 07:36 PM
3SPKY5U
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of coming to an ISF from an M3

Hey all,

I currently have a 2012 M3 competition PKG, and I'm considering coming to an ISF. I had a huge run in with BMW Canada a month after buying it, where the $15,000 transmission basically decided to stop working. After 3 months of fighting I had them replace it under warranty (they were trying to blame user abuse as the cause... I had only put 2000km on the car since purchase). Anyways... After all that crap, I've got a somewhat bad taste about BMW (and I've had 4 sofar...), and am considering something a bit more reliable, and with 4 doors. I used to also have a C63 AMG, but that also had no end to the problems. I still owe around 17k on the bimmer, and don't want to have money owing anymore, which is also a bit of a factor.

Has anyone here made the switch? I'm not 100% on the front end or interior of the ISF, but I like the power, and from a technical standpoint the 2UR-GSE impresses the hell out of me (almost as much as the S65). I've heard these cars are ultra reliable as well? How are upkeep costs? The M3 is rather nasty, being that it likes 10W-60 at $19/L.

As for modding, I'm not really interested past an exhaust (probably Joe Z, my friend has it and I love the sound), so I'm not too worried about the somewhat restrictive nature.

The other thing I was wondering is how is the 8 speed auto, especially versus a double clutch tranny? Does it revmatch downshifts? (I love the sound of pulling the paddle on my M and getting that revmatch).

Anything else anyone has to chime in would be awesome!

Pic of my M3:

Thinking of coming to an ISF from an M3-k2ulcyl.jpg
Old 06-27-15, 07:53 PM
brando84
Driver School Candidate

im from Edmonton and the biggest thing I had to do was the breaks at $3300.
as for the 8 speed, I cant really compare it to the m3's double clutch, but if you wanna try it out let me know

Cheers Brandon
Old 06-27-15, 07:56 PM
3SPKY5U
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by brando84
im from Edmonton and the biggest thing I had to do was the breaks at $3300.
as for the 8 speed, I cant really compare it to the m3's double clutch, but if you wanna try it out let me know

Cheers Brandon
OEM replacement I'm guessing? Downside of having brembo's... How long do they tend to last?

Royal Oak Lexus has a really nice 2012 that I'd love to pick up... Bit more then I was thinking of spending though. I was considering a 2008-2009, since they can be had for high 20's-low 30's.
Old 06-27-15, 08:08 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Got great aftermarket brakes front and rear complete for 650. As good or better than oem. Maintenance costs have been almost non existent with this car
Old 06-27-15, 08:10 PM
3SPKY5U
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chrisp1
Got great aftermarket brakes front and rear complete for 650. As good or better than oem. Maintenance costs have been almost non existent with this car
That's awesome!

Lexus parts are fairly cheap too, aren't they? Versus these insanely priced BMW parts...
Old 06-27-15, 08:12 PM
brando84
Driver School Candidate

I put 44k on mine before they told me it was time to replace pads and rotors
and yea I have an 09 which is a stiff car (think they have better dampers on the 10s and up) but im planning on upgrading dampers anyways, and the 10s are the last year of the double analog gages which I think personally look better than the one large tech and small speedo
Old 06-27-15, 08:13 PM
3SPKY5U
Driver School Candidate

I put 44k on mine before they told me it was time to replace pads and rotors
and yea I have an 09 which is a stiff car (think they have better dampers on the 10s and up) but im planning on upgrading dampers anyways, and the 10s are the last year of the double analog gages which I think personally look better than the one large tech and small speedo
Same. I dislike the single gauge, reminds me a bike.
Old 06-27-15, 08:15 PM
brando84
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 3SPKY5U
Same. I dislike the single gauge, reminds me a bike.
it looks incomplete and untidy with the large gaps
Old 06-27-15, 08:15 PM
3SPKY5U
Driver School Candidate

How rare are blue ISF's? I see one for sale in Ontario with fairly low miles. My neighbour has a 2014 IS350 in that blue and I love it.
Old 06-27-15, 08:17 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

The isf is really good reliable car. Nothing tops the competetion in reliability like Lexus and Toyota. I can drive it like i stole it with absolutely no problems. I came from E46 BMW M3 that plagued me so much issues. I sold it with the intent to never go back until BMW fixes their reliability issues.
Old 06-27-15, 08:20 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

First off, beautiful E92 you have there. The switch from the M3 to the IS F is more seen from a track standpoint in my opinion. The M3 is very potent and will carry itself well on a track set up, but with it comes a greater maintenance need as well. The IS F, without seeming biased and having driven it both street and track, is very versatile for what it is. The IS F is a car that you can drive daily without worry and still take it to the track without having anything major happen except replacing tires or brake pads and the occasional oil change. It does take 5W-30, and a full 10 quarts (9.7 from full drain) to replace its oil. Gosh, I'd have to imagine that you can get away with spending $60 total for the 10 qts and oil filter to change your oil yourself, as that is my typical cost when it comes time to change. With the M3, while it is made for street driving, it really excels on the track. Styling is subjective and to the owner's discretion as to which is better.

Having tested both back to back recently (MY12 for both), I would say the upshifting in the IS F is a tad faster and more precise than the DCT, but that has been documented before. Downshifting, I would say they're pretty much the same. The revmatching isn't intantaneous on either, but it's not a total lag.

With any of the competitors in this segment (IS F, C63, M3) maintenance costs will be a lot more than the other vehicles in their respective line. While many of the M3 and C63 owners have been yearning for more reliability and IS F owners wanting more modability or just tuning in general, there really is no finite answer on which is better. All three have their selling factor and detractors, but in the end, if you want something that's still very sporty and powerful and without headache, it is very difficult to beat what the IS F offers. One of my friends who lives in the GTA says his '13 M3 gave him troubles (DCT lag, engine failure, differential issues), and on a recent trip to visit me, he was pretty imrpressed with the IS F's capabilities. I'll never be one to say the IS F is a better car because I do respect what the M3 offers and its heritage, but I chose the IS F specifically so I don't have to deal with issues. And for the most part, that goes for many owners who purchase these vehicles new or pre-owned.

Best of luck!
Old 06-27-15, 08:21 PM
brando84
Driver School Candidate

ive seen a couple in Edmonton, but if that's the color you like then why not
Old 06-27-15, 08:29 PM
3SPKY5U
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
First off, beautiful E92 you have there. The switch from the M3 to the IS F is more seen from a track standpoint in my opinion. The M3 is very potent and will carry itself well on a track set up, but with it comes a greater maintenance need as well. The IS F, without seeming biased and having driven it both street and track, is very versatile for what it is. The IS F is a car that you can drive daily without worry and still take it to the track without having anything major happen except replacing tires or brake pads and the occasional oil change. It does take 5W-30, and a full 10 quarts (9.7 from full drain) to replace its oil. Gosh, I'd have to imagine that you can get away with spending $60 total for the 10 qts and oil filter to change your oil yourself, as that is my typical cost when it comes time to change. With the M3, while it is made for street driving, it really excels on the track. Styling is subjective and to the owner's discretion as to which is better.

Having tested both back to back recently (MY12 for both), I would say the upshifting in the IS F is a tad faster and more precise than the DCT, but that has been documented before. Downshifting, I would say they're pretty much the same. The revmatching isn't intantaneous on either, but it's not a total lag.

With any of the competitors in this segment (IS F, C63, M3) maintenance costs will be a lot more than the other vehicles in their respective line. While many of the M3 and C63 owners have been yearning for more reliability and IS F owners wanting more modability or just tuning in general, there really is no finite answer on which is better. All three have their selling factor and detractors, but in the end, if you want something that's still very sporty and powerful and without headache, it is very difficult to beat what the IS F offers. One of my friends who lives in the GTA says his '13 M3 gave him troubles (DCT lag, engine failure, differential issues), and on a recent trip to visit me, he was pretty imrpressed with the IS F's capabilities. I'll never be one to say the IS F is a better car because I do respect what the M3 offers and its heritage, but I chose the IS F specifically so I don't have to deal with issues. And for the most part, that goes for many owners who purchase these vehicles new or pre-owned.

Best of luck!
Would you say the ISF lands itself somewhat between the M3 and C63? I really dislike the utter lack of torque in my M3. When I floor it, it's like waiting for a turbo to spool. At about 4000RPM it picks up and goes hard to redline, but under that it's a slug. The ISF has a much nicer torque availability, which I feel like would translate to easier get up and goes. I would honestly prefer a solid auto over the dct. It's nice to have, shifts fast and all that, but when in traffic or driving slow, it throws you around the cockpit quite often from the clutch engaging and disengaging.

How are they in Alberta winters, in terms of drivability? I know Japanese paint tends to be soft, and Japanese cars tend to be a bit more rust prone.
Old 06-27-15, 08:40 PM
brando84
Driver School Candidate

that part I cant help you with lol I cant bring my self to take it out in the winter here
Old 06-27-15, 08:41 PM
3SPKY5U
Driver School Candidate

that part I cant help you with lol I cant bring my self to take it out in the winter here
Ive never believed in winter storing cars. Hell, this winter I was driving around a 600hp modded up C63 on studded tires

Quick Reply: Thinking of coming to an ISF from an M3