IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Thinking of coming to an ISF from an M3

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-15, 07:13 AM
JdSwiper
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by M4rk
When I purchased my IS-F at a high-end supercar dealership just over a month ago, the GM there drove an E92 M3 as his daily. We chatted about the two cars, and putting any sales pitching aside (he knew I was after an IS-F already), he described the drivetrain on the F as much more refined and street friendly (he put a few thousand KMs on it). Over-all he seemed to like the car better.

I love my F, but an E92 M3 will always turn my head. Love the visuals and especially the soundtrack.
+1^^^^ on that
Old 06-28-15, 07:17 AM
JdSwiper
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wanted a M3 for years. Before I purchased my IS250 I almost bought one but my wife talked me out of it. I usually work 12-15 hour days so I don't have time for a needy car but I still love the way they look and sound. Especially the white one like yours. Love Love my F and its reliability, and it still surprises me once in a while putting a grin on my face!
Old 06-28-15, 07:51 AM
INTMD8
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a 2010 IS-F 2 days ago after much time consuming comparison with other cars.

Honestly it's probably the car I wanted the least emotionally speaking but it ended up winning out due to reliability and gas mileage.

E92 M3 is an awesome car and I would have preferred one with a manual trans. (as I always do when available). I read about several people with main bearing issues.

Not sure if that's even something to be genuinely concerned about but it seemed anyway that my expected gas mileage for an M3 or E63 would have been low teens at best which wouldn't have worked out for me driving nearly 20k a year.

I'm still familiarizing myself with the IS-F but so far it is amazing. Chassis feels bank vault solid. Precise steering. Firm but comfortable suspension and it pulled down 24mpg on my 150 mile drive home from the dealer.
Old 06-28-15, 09:19 AM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 3SPKY5U

How are they in Alberta winters, in terms of drivability? I know Japanese paint tends to be soft, and Japanese cars tend to be a bit more rust prone.
I drove my '08 ISF all last winter (Edmonton) on a set of Toyo winter tires, it was fine. I hear the later models with the Mechanical LSD are better in winter.
Only issue with rust was when I was removing the factory exhaust (on a winter-driven Alberta car, 7 years old, 56,000kms) the O2 sensors were completely seized in the factory exhaust. Lexus had ZERO O2 sensors in stock in Alberta, and wanted $600 for a pair (Denso). I ended up getting a pair (Denso) from Rockauto.com for $180 all-in shipped in a few days. Brake parts can be had from Rockauto on the cheap also.
You're right about the paint. My car has had complete front-end 3M on it since new. Still looks great. (must-have for a winter driven car)
Old 06-28-15, 09:44 AM
fstpassat
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

73k miles on my 08 ISF and not one single problem. Hell, it has had headers and exhaust since 50k miles and still no issues. Put fuel in it, change the oil, service the consumables, and enjoy the driving experience. It has been a phenomenal DD and I couldn't be more please. It is also one of the best sounding V8's you will ever hear with headers and exhaust and I am not kidding.

On a side note, if you do the brakes yourself and buy the aftermarket equivalents recommended on this forum, you can do all 4 corners inclusive of pads/rotors for $600. They are extremely easy to replace and can easily be changed in a couple hours start to finish.
Old 06-28-15, 10:58 AM
Blzn335
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thinking of coming to an ISF from an M3

I am also a Bimmer convert. I switched because of maintenance and reliability. My BMW left me stranded twice in 2 months. I track my ISF and while its an excellent performer the M3 is going to be slightly better but because of the rock solid reliability I'm gladly willing to give up a little bit of performance. I never worry about break downs now. Just standard maintenance and consumables which is definitely cheaper than German counterparts. If I had disposal income to blow I would still be in a bmw but I'm not quite there yet. Maybe in a few more years after my kids steal less on my money!
Old 06-28-15, 01:14 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Blzn335
I am also a Bimmer convert. I switched because of maintenance and reliability. My BMW left me stranded twice in 2 months. I track my ISF and while its an excellent performer the M3 is going to be slightly better but because of the rock solid reliability I'm gladly willing to give up a little bit of performance. I never worry about break downs now. Just standard maintenance and consumables which is definitely cheaper than German counterparts. If I had disposal income to blow I would still be in a bmw but I'm not quite there yet. Maybe in a few more years after my kids steal less on my money!
I hear the 335 will do that to you..... How was the E39M5 reliability? I've always wanted one and its hard to find a good low-milage.
Old 06-28-15, 02:05 PM
Blzn335
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thinking of coming to an ISF from an M3

Originally Posted by jum3
I hear the 335 will do that to you..... How was the E39M5 reliability? I've always wanted one and its hard to find a good low-milage.
E39 M5 was a great car. I feel like it was very comparable to the ISF. Was definitely a softer cushier ride but still very capable. But again running and maintenance cost are much higher. Mine was getting higher in mileage (95k miles) when I sold it.
Old 06-28-15, 06:18 PM
3SPKY5U
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jum3
The 335i is the black death of cars once it hits 80,000km (end of warranty coincidence? Perhaps not.). I've worked on way too many of them.

Theres still another year and a half of warranty on my M, but dealing with BMW Canada is a nightmare. Just to have a manufacturer defect (which I confirmed the first owner had) cost me a few grand and several warranty visits. And I'm no stranger to the crew at the dealership.

Last edited by 3SPKY5U; 06-28-15 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-28-15, 08:28 PM
MR2QIK
Driver

Get the ISF & just do bolt on's & you will love it! I too went through the whole ISF/M3/C63 dilemma, but chose the ISF for the below reasons:

Reliability - every nut & every bolt. Debatable how reliable M3/C63 is, but no BMW or Merc owner can honestly deny the Lexus will be the most reliable. No problems surface, except the brake wear/dust (which can be fixed cheaper than OEM replacements)

Performance - Updates were in line with M3 track times apparently, so surely it's good enough & can get better with a few upgrades (rear sway, coilovers, tyres etc). Bolt ons (intake, headers, exhaust) will get it up to par with the C63.

Pricing - ISF's are a fair deal cheaper in AU than the C63 & M3. Whilst they're also the most reliable/easy to own, they also have the best fuel economy of the bunch. No prius, but it's surprisingly close to my IS350 in fuel economy, despite the extra milk bottle/1.5L.
Old 06-28-15, 08:37 PM
3SPKY5U
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MR2QIK
Get the ISF & just do bolt on's & you will love it! I too went through the whole ISF/M3/C63 dilemma, but chose the ISF for the below reasons:

Reliability - every nut & every bolt. Debatable how reliable M3/C63 is, but no BMW or Merc owner can honestly deny the Lexus will be the most reliable. No problems surface, except the brake wear/dust (which can be fixed cheaper than OEM replacements)

Performance - Updates were in line with M3 track times apparently, so surely it's good enough & can get better with a few upgrades (rear sway, coilovers, tyres etc). Bolt ons (intake, headers, exhaust) will get it up to par with the C63.

Pricing - ISF's are a fair deal cheaper in AU than the C63 & M3. Whilst they're also the most reliable/easy to own, they also have the best fuel economy of the bunch. No prius, but it's surprisingly close to my IS350 in fuel economy, despite the extra milk bottle/1.5L.
How is the economy? My M3 gets abut 10.5L/100km city.
Old 06-28-15, 09:13 PM
MR2QIK
Driver

Originally Posted by 3SPKY5U
How is the economy? My M3 gets abut 10.5L/100km city.
I don't think I can give a reliable figure due to the variables in my driving. But in general, it's been both tested & reported to be more frugal than the M3 & C63. A local auto review website reports getting 11.4L/100km (ISF) whereas they test/report 11.9L/100km for the E92 M3. No way on Earth the 6.2xL C63 is anywhere near that.

You can drive it around town, casually like a grandma & it'll change gears constantly (you'll struggle to figure out which of the 8 gears it's in actually). It'll stay @ minimal RPM with plenty enough torque, but when you give it a boot, it'll start flaring up the traction light, open up & bang the limiter because you forgot to change gear in time (if in S mode). Good fun.
Old 06-28-15, 09:19 PM
3SPKY5U
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MR2QIK
I don't think I can give a reliable figure due to the variables in my driving. But in general, it's been both tested & reported to be more frugal than the M3 & C63. A local auto review website reports getting 11.4L/100km (ISF) whereas they test/report 11.9L/100km for the E92 M3. No way on Earth the 6.2xL C63 is anywhere near that.

You can drive it around town, casually like a grandma & it'll change gears constantly (you'll struggle to figure out which of the 8 gears it's in actually). It'll stay @ minimal RPM with plenty enough torque, but when you give it a boot, it'll start flaring up the traction light, open up & bang the limiter because you forgot to change gear in time (if in S mode). Good fun.
My C63 was a bout 30L/100km thanks to mods. 250km a tank was normal.
Old 06-28-15, 09:21 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

OP, send a dealer complaint about the BMW dealership experience. You shouldn't have to fight or pay for repairs under warranty. A dealer should be thrilled to get warranty work. Its free money to them....

I drive 95% City and get 13.5-14.2 MPG... I don't drive fast -__- BUT, miles better than the C63's 11.5-12 MPG
Old 06-28-15, 09:24 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I did 7 track days in 12 months with my F with nothing other than a seat squeak that required the 4 bolts at the base of the seat to be tightened. The F is a very well made car that is light years ahead in quality and reliability. I have had 3 Lexus vehicles and the F is the most reliable ( and I have owned an LS460)

Quick Reply: Thinking of coming to an ISF from an M3