IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Removed calipers... Couple issues.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-15, 01:48 PM
Reaper21
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Removed calipers... Couple issues.

I removed my calipers yesterday to have them painted and I ran into a couple issues along the way (well one was after the fact).

The first issue is that I was unable to remove the center crossbar on both calipers to get the pads out. The two outside pins and the bolt which holds the bar in all came out fine. But the crossbar itself would not budge. So after a little while of trying to get it out, I simply just unbolted the caliper and removed the whole thing with the pads still inside. Has anyone else experienced this the crossbar not coming out?

The second issue is a little more worrisome for me (although I'm hoping it's not a big issue). To plug the brake lines after they were removed I used a bolt and nut and just tightened it against the washers (thanks Lance). Unfortunately, I did not tighten a couple enough and they leaked thru the night. I went to check it out this morning and the master cylinder was extremely close to empty, if not empty. I say this because I did see some fluid left in the front part of the master cylinder, but the center and back parts were empty. I freaked out and quickly went to autozone and put in some generic fluid (Prestone).

Is this going to be a major issue when putting everything back on and bleeding the brakes? I have removed pads and rotors before but I have never removed and/or bled brake lines so it's worrying me that I caused some damage by letting the MC drain.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-21-15, 02:02 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

im on mobile but quick advice. dont press your brake pedal AT ALL after you have everything off or even the calipers are hanging. you will blow the pistons out.
Old 06-21-15, 02:16 PM
Reaper21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
im on mobile but quick advice. dont press your brake pedal AT ALL after you have everything off or even the calipers are hanging. you will blow the pistons out.
I appreciate the response but that doesn't really have anything to do with my issues lol. The calipers are already at the painter.
Old 06-21-15, 02:41 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

No issues with the MC. Once you properly bleed the brakes (and add the fluid) you will be fine. I have never had an issue with the crossbar.
Old 06-21-15, 02:42 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
Great advice..I did just this recently. Not fun.
Old 06-21-15, 04:18 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

I had some difficulty removing the center bolts on the front calipers as well. Carefully using a pin punch & hammer did the trick for me. I noticed a build up of something-maybe baked on brake dust on the bolts. Easily cleaned up with a wire wheel.

If the bolts are really bound up, a small arbor press will do it.
Old 06-21-15, 04:49 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Don't worry about it... It's really not a big deal, it will work itself out when you put everything back together. Honestly, now that you have all the calipers disconnected, I would use it as a great opportunity to flush all the brake fluid and upgrade to a premium fluid such as Motul. Just my .02
Old 06-21-15, 06:05 PM
yjk1975
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickna
I had some difficulty removing the center bolts on the front calipers as well. Carefully using a pin punch & hammer did the trick for me. I noticed a build up of something-maybe baked on brake dust on the bolts. Easily cleaned up with a wire wheel.

If the bolts are really bound up, a small arbor press will do it.
This is what I encountered. The brake fluid issue. Once its all back on. Make sure you take your time and keep filling the reservoir. Just have a friend either pump or keep an eye on the MC.
Good luck, I hope you have no issues.
Old 06-21-15, 09:43 PM
jt321
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont make the same mistake i did. The rear calipers fit on either side. I had my rear calipers installed on the wrong side and spent 3 days trying to figure out why it wouldnt bleed correctly!
Old 06-22-15, 06:44 AM
Rickna
Racer

Originally Posted by yjk1975
This is what I encountered. The brake fluid issue. Once its all back on. Make sure you take your time and keep filling the reservoir. Just have a friend either pump or keep an eye on the MC.
Good luck, I hope you have no issues.
Huh? Wrong quote maybe...
Old 06-22-15, 06:45 PM
Reaper21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jt321
Dont make the same mistake i did. The rear calipers fit on either side. I had my rear calipers installed on the wrong side and spent 3 days trying to figure out why it wouldnt bleed correctly!
**** I didn't even think of that. Are there markings on the rear calipers to distinguish which is which?
Old 06-23-15, 10:22 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Put the bleeder on the top. If you put them on backwards the bleeder will be at the bottom.
Old 06-23-15, 01:53 PM
Rickna
Racer

Originally Posted by jt321
I'm dyslexic and I couldn't that do. j/k
Old 06-25-15, 06:56 AM
Reaper21
Pole Position

So I guess I'll just be putting the pads in before the I put the calipers back on. That or I'll bring them to a shop to get the crossbar punched out.
Old 06-25-15, 07:43 AM
yjk1975
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe your center bar is that stuck. It is kind of hard to get it started. But it does come out. Its the same on all these Brembo BBKs.

Quick Reply: Removed calipers... Couple issues.