IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Accessing Steering Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-15, 01:44 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts
Question Accessing Steering Shaft

Guys does anyone know if I can access my Steering Shaft with slight adjustment without having to remove my X-pipe section? (right after the headers).

Can I basically keep my exhaust intact and remove or loosen the Steering Shaft to try and align my steering wheel?
Old 06-15-15, 04:13 AM
Defratos
Racer

Can I disconnect the steering wheel from the steering shaft from under the dash where the pedals are as shown below?:

All I want to do is straighten the steering wheel and then connect it again with the steering shaft. So can it all be done and accessed from the below location?

Last edited by Defratos; 06-15-15 at 04:16 AM.
Old 06-15-15, 06:12 AM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Are u just trying to align your steering wheel? There is a simpler way by removing airbag and then adjusting it on the splines. Search and you'll find the thread
Old 06-15-15, 06:57 AM
Defratos
Racer

^ Thanks for the suggestion.

Main reason I want to align the steering wheel is due to the steering shaft being removed when I installed my headers.

When they put everything back together they didn't align the steering shaft correctly. So I've fixed this by playing with the driver side Toe setting....But this makes me uncomfortable when taking corners at high speeds as I feel the toe is way out of adjustment.

If I adjust the wheel from the splines behind the steering wheel wouldn't this result in having an uneven left and right turn distance?
Old 06-15-15, 08:44 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Or simply take the car for an alignment and have it centered mechanically. there will be more of the alignment out of whack than just the toe due to removing the sub frame and what not.
Old 06-15-15, 09:01 AM
Defratos
Racer

^ Yes I agree, a full alignment is necessary but I want to correct the steering first.

Below is how my steering wheel looked after installing the Headers. This needs to be brought back closer to the original angel/setting before I take it in for an alignment.

After I installed my headers I took it to a garage to change the driver side front toe which brought back the wheel to near straight alignment.

...BUT this isn't the correct way. I should have gone back to the garage to get the steering shaft connection straightened.

It's been over a year now since installing the headers and changing the toe with no alignment what so ever.

Now that I'm actually pushing the car more I can feel the car not balanced like it used to be.

Basically now when I turn one way its more responsive compared to turning the opposite direction, and when going fast on bumpy turns it really becomes unpredictable.

Old 06-15-15, 10:20 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 86 Posts

I think removing (and reinstalling) the steering wheel will fix your steering wheel misalignment issue. But you should also get an traditional alignment asap.
Old 06-15-15, 12:51 PM
Defratos
Racer

^ But will that not make it turn one way more than the other?
Old 06-15-15, 01:52 PM
Vervish
Racer

I don't know how that would be possible - you have a certain amount of "turns" from center to full lock in each direction - that cannot change.

All you are doing is setting your front wheels perfectly straight, in which case your steering wheel will look like this:

Then, with the steering wheel in that position you will remove it from the hub, center it and slide it back into the hub. The front wheels will not move since the steering wheel itself will be off the hub (that turns the steering rack).

How can that effect the amount it turns in either direction?
Old 06-15-15, 01:58 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

That is why its very important when installing the headers, get white marker to marked where the steering shaft where it was. If not then when you installed the headers and not fooling around with it. so now if u want to adjusted back got to do it the hard way, which is goes underneath the car again . ?Hope that help.
Old 06-16-15, 02:07 AM
Defratos
Racer

Originally Posted by Vervish
I don't know how that would be possible - you have a certain amount of "turns" from center to full lock in each direction - that cannot change.

All you are doing is setting your front wheels perfectly straight, in which case your steering wheel will look like this:

Then, with the steering wheel in that position you will remove it from the hub, center it and slide it back into the hub. The front wheels will not move since the steering wheel itself will be off the hub (that turns the steering rack).

How can that effect the amount it turns in either direction?
Well ok I see your theory (if it is correct ). But looking back at my original thread someone mentioned that this way wouldn't be possible since the steering wheel is keyed to only fit in one position.

Can anyone remember if our steering wheel is keyed to only fit in one position?

Here is my original thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tallation.html

Originally Posted by ISF4life
That is why its very important when installing the headers, get white marker to marked where the steering shaft where it was. If not then when you installed the headers and not fooling around with it. so now if u want to adjusted back got to do it the hard way, which is goes underneath the car again . ?Hope that help.

Yes I agree, when the install was done I was out of the country for a week and gave the installer all the instructions, printouts that he needed.

Not only that, I went out of my way to specificially highlight this step of the installation and to make it clear that he has to mark the steering shaft so that when he re-installs it it is not out of alignment.

I even highlighted and circled this step in the DIY printouts to make sure he doesn't forget.

....and the end result is he forgot . I honestly didn't want to keep the car with them for any longer as they wouldn't work on it for another week, which is why I took this through of adjusting the toe to bring the steering wheel back.

So now bottom line I have 2 questions:

1) Can I simply just put the toe back to close to original alignment and simply remove the steering wheel and re-align it? (if it actually fits in any position and isn't keyed to a specific position)?

2) If the above isn't possible then what is the easiest way to access the steering shaft to re-align things? Can it be done from under the steering wheel? (Next to the brake and gas pedals?) as in the first pic?

Or do I have to access this another way?
Old 06-16-15, 03:25 AM
Vervish
Racer

You should be able to rotate and reinstall it. It is not keyed, i installed it slightly off when i swapped steering wheels, i simply pulled it off and reinstalled it in the correct position.

Its an easy job 30 minute job, i would give it a shot. Detailed walkthrough below if you decide to give it a shot.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...k-through.html
Old 06-16-15, 05:37 AM
Defratos
Racer

^ Thanks for the advice, Yes it is easy to remove the steering wheel as I've done that before to install my cf flat bottom wheel.

If I knew the steering wheel wasn't keyed then I would have done this after my header install and not set things so out of wack.

Thanks once again. I'll do the swap over the weekend and try and get a full alignment to see how things settle.