IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Should I buy 2 piece rotors, or stay with stock brembo rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-15, 05:29 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts
Default Should I buy 2 piece rotors, or stay with stock brembo rotors?

Only had my F for a week now and already lining up stuff I need to do with it. I know the pads are going to have to be replaced so I was thinking why not just replace the rotors at the same time. The car has 57k on the odometer right now so I'm assuming they are the original rotors.

I was thinking of going with a two piece set-up for the fronts only and staying with the stock rear brembo rotors. Of those of you that have stepped up to the two piece rotors any drawbacks other than price?

Thx
Old 06-13-15, 06:03 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Depends on your use I guess. If you're going to track your car and etc. two piece rotors will save a lot of weight, especially rotational mass which will make a difference once you're experienced enough in tracking. If you're just going to use it for daily driving I honestly don't think it's worth it for the price you're paying. I'd rather use that money for better tires, or power mods (H/E) if you haven't done those yet. Looks like you're in Colorado, I'd hit up FIGs and get their take on what you should do, based on your needs.
Old 06-13-15, 07:19 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Can't go wrong with some Raybestos rotors on this car. I have them, my old driving instructor uses them and they are priced right at $105.79 each. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...id=384&jpid=17
Old 06-13-15, 08:28 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kzlflash
Depends on your use I guess. If you're going to track your car and etc. two piece rotors will save a lot of weight, especially rotational mass which will make a difference once you're experienced enough in tracking. If you're just going to use it for daily driving I honestly don't think it's worth it for the price you're paying. I'd rather use that money for better tires, or power mods (H/E) if you haven't done those yet. Looks like you're in Colorado, I'd hit up FIGs and get their take on what you should do, based on your needs.
Maybe you are right on that, for the price of the 2 piece rotors I can possibly get myself the Borla exhaust I'll go talk to Mike also.

Originally Posted by caymandive
Can't go wrong with some Raybestos rotors on this car. I have them, my old driving instructor uses them and they are priced right at $105.79 each. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...id=384&jpid=17
Thanks for that link, damn those are cheap Are those for the rears also? Or is there another link for the rears?
Old 06-14-15, 12:43 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

Get the two piece rotors, my buddy has them and they make a huge difference on daily driving and track driving.. They're expensive, but very very nice.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 06-14-15, 05:40 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Maybe you are right on that, for the price of the 2 piece rotors I can possibly get myself the Borla exhaust I'll go talk to Mike also.

Thanks for that link, damn those are cheap Are those for the rears also? Or is there another link for the rears?
The rears are only $73. I have been running these rotors for a few years now with zero issues. I run stock pads and Carbotech XP 10's at the track. The two piece rotors are on my wish list however, but I just can't justify them yet.
Old 06-14-15, 07:22 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

IMO two piece rotors are a waste of money on the street. get standard blanks and call it done.
Old 06-14-15, 09:10 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

The rears are only $73. I have been running these rotors for a few years now with zero issues. I run stock pads and Carbotech XP 10's at the track. The two piece rotors are on my wish list however, but I just can't justify them yet.
Wow only $73, do think there are any differences in quality with these rotors vs the stock brembo rotors? Or is it just your paying for the name type of thing and these are just as good as the stock rotors.

Originally Posted by Biggu
IMO two piece rotors are a waste of money on the street. get standard blanks and call it done.
I'm probably going to go this route based on the fact of how cheap they are
Old 06-14-15, 09:22 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Wow only $73, do think there are any differences in quality with these rotors vs the stock brembo rotors? Or is it just your paying for the name type of thing and these are just as good as the stock rotors.

I'm probably going to go this route based on the fact of how cheap they are
They are IMHO a bit better than the OEM rotors. I used to get hair line cracks off the drilled holes in the OEM rotors from heavy usage. Haven't seen that happen yet with these. A driving instructor that I was with a few years ago in an HPDE class recommended them. He also had an IS-F and told me he had more miles on the track than on the street so I took his recommendation without even thinking twice.
Old 06-14-15, 09:38 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

^^Awesome and good to hear! In your opinion how much do you think 2 piece rotors would help you on the track time wise? Or is it insignificant when it comes to time on the track or 1/4 mile runs with 2 piece rotors?
When you did your run in your sig did you have these rotors on?
Old 06-14-15, 11:07 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. Do they hold up well to track use. My Brembos have been really impressive at the track. Would like to try these or buy oem through Brembo directly.
Old 06-14-15, 12:25 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

^^Awesome and good to hear! In your opinion how much do you think 2 piece rotors would help you on the track time wise? Or is it insignificant when it comes to time on the track or 1/4 mile runs with 2 piece rotors?
When you did your run in your sig did you have these rotors on?
2 piece rotors would help for sure with the better cooling and reduced weight, but by how much I'm unsure. I just know that what I have has been working really well for me. The run in my sig was with these rotors on.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Thanks for the heads up. Do they hold up well to track use. My Brembos have been really impressive at the track. Would like to try these or buy oem through Brembo directly.
Yes they hold up well at the track. I have had zero concerns with them.
Old 06-14-15, 06:22 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

2 piece rotors would help for sure with the better cooling and reduced weight, but by how much I'm unsure. I just know that what I have has been working really well for me. The run in my sig was with these rotors on.

Yes they hold up well at the track. I have had zero concerns with them.

If you guys are considering 2 piece rotors, please consider our latest offering. No expense was spared in producing a competition caliber 2 piece setup for the ISF, but our pricing is extremely competitive and we offer a "track incentive" program too!

Features:

- 360x32 MM (stock is 360x30mm) double heat treated & balanced rotor custom manufactured for us by Coleman Racing, probably the top US manufacturer of race rotors. Same metallurgy, castings, and heat treatment as their top NASCAR Winston Cup rotors. Our rotors are zinc/chromate plated for corrosion resistance.
- RR Racing manufactured billet aluminum hats (aka mounting bells). We use a higher -cost Type III hard anodizing and Teflon impregnated sealing for maximum durability.
- Fully floating design using Inconel high temperature anti-rattle clips.
- 6lbs weight savings per rotor.
- Extensively track tested before release.

http://www.rr-racing.com/category-s/129.htm

-Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Last edited by RRRacing; 06-14-15 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-14-15, 09:35 PM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

2pc, figs/rb... No offense rr, but with what I've experienced with other manufactures rotors so far with how I drive on or off track, figs/rb isn't even phased yet (stoptech pads lines fluid added)
Old 06-15-15, 03:54 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Justind27
2pc, figs/rb... No offense rr, but with what I've experienced with other manufactures rotors so far with how I drive on or off track, figs/rb isn't even phased yet (stoptech pads lines fluid added)

No offense taken, but it is frustrating when we put such a huge effort to bring ISF owners new options and new products, and someone disses your product without any first hand knowledge. I wish you well with your RB rotors, they are also a good product which I am sure will outperform the stock rotors as well.

We have gone to great lengths to extensively track test these rotors prior to release. The actual cast iron rotor rings are manufactured by Coleman Racing, one of the best names in the business if you talk to anyone who races. But not only have we extensively track tested our 14" ISF 2-piece rotors, we have a 13" version, identical in design, which we are running on the Element Tuning Time Attack FRS (an FRS race car with 325 slicks, 1000lbs downforce, and about 550hp).

You also mention "other manufacturers." Other than us and RB, who else makes two piece rotors for the F?

Also, you had me going right up until the point you said you use Stoptech pads. Unless Stoptech has a track pad for the ISF (they do not to the best of my knowledge), their street pads are intended for mild track use. I have extensively track tested most pads out there on the IS-F, and although we like Stoptech's pads on the street, they are definitely not a track worthy pad that is going to test the limits of the front rotors. My impression was that the OEM Brembo pads were about the same or maybe even better in terms of fade resistance.

Lastly, we are so confidant with the track performance of these rotors, we are actually encouraging our customers to abuse them at the track by offering a track incentive program!

-Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Last edited by RRRacing; 06-15-15 at 04:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Should I buy 2 piece rotors, or stay with stock brembo rotors?