IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Bushing options

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-15, 05:50 AM
calteg
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bushing options

Does anyone sell a full set of suspension bushings? I know FIGS offers some control arm bushings, but I was wondering what other options were out there (aside from dropping thousands at the dealership)?
Old 06-10-15, 08:41 AM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Figs does more and rr-racing sells the rear flca bushing, not knock rr but I've only purchased through figs, could t be happier. Here's the other company http://www.rr-racing.com/Lexus-Lower...isfxlca001.htm
Old 06-10-15, 11:22 AM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

What mileage do you need to replace full bushings?
Old 06-10-15, 12:13 PM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Is just do all the figs, as for mileage it varies per where u live, drive, how you drive
Old 06-10-15, 03:38 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Justind27
Figs does more and rr-racing sells the rear flca bushing, not knock rr but I've only purchased through figs, could t be happier. Here's the other company http://www.rr-racing.com/Lexus-Lower...isfxlca001.htm
I realize we are new in town, but we absolutely guarantee 100% satisfaction with our new LCA setup, and I hope you guys give us a shot to earn your business.

It is not just a bushing, it is much more ( we do not re-use a stock Lexus LCA bushing housing). Our Ultimate Steering Response System (as we like to call it:-) includes a redesigned aluminum housing that is significantly reinforced to withstand the massive thrust loading that our design requires. I'd be happy to answer any questions about it.

Picture below shows a black bushing we used for the initial production/test run. Actual final production models have a red 95 durometer poly bushing. We have track and street tested the Ultimate Steering Response System (USRS)*extensively* and are very excited to release it:

Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Last edited by RRRacing; 06-10-15 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-10-15, 06:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by calteg
Does anyone sell a full set of suspension bushings? I know FIGS offers some control arm bushings, but I was wondering what other options were out there (aside from dropping thousands at the dealership)?
There are only a few bushings you can buy at the dealer. Most of the time you have to buy the part the bushings are mounted in to get new bushings, especially with Toyota. Figs is focused on putting poly where it is most needed. The factory updated the rear bushings when they changed the suspension, so later model cars have better bushings.
Old 06-10-15, 06:26 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey RRRacing, how is the NVH on your LCA bushing? I was set to buy the FIGS LCA, until I saw this discussion. I'm only looking for higher performance street driving, and I don't plan on ever going to the track.
Old 06-10-15, 07:43 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF_GG
Hey RRRacing, how is the NVH on your LCA bushing? I was set to buy the FIGS LCA, until I saw this discussion. I'm only looking for higher performance street driving, and I don't plan on ever going to the track.
Hi.... Well we did most of our development testing using 88 durometer bushing, and I can say emphatically that there was no detectable increase in NVH. Our polyurethane casting supplier also sent us some 95 durometer bushings for testing. When I went to the test the stiffer 95 durometer bushing, I was surprised that it too was totally smooth with no obvious NVH problems, so our production batch which arrives next week will be all 95 durometer.

The turn response with our bushing is phenomenal, but one of the biggest improvements is under braking. Our first time at VIR, we were running 150mph on the back straight and 140mph on the front straight into the braking zones, and I can tell you the car was wandering under heavy braking due to the toe changes induced during braking (it also chewed the insides of the front tires). If you look at the stock bushing design, it allows fore/aft movement, whereas ours utilizes a high strength thrust washer, redesigned bushing, and significantly beefed up 6061-T6 housing to resist the massive thrust loads that you get under braking.

We designed a new housing because we did not feel comfortable enough reusing the stock housing, knowing that it was not designed with the intent of taking all the thrust loads it would see with our new design. If you look at the stock housings closely, you will see that they are extruded from aluminum so that the grain alignment end up parallel to the thrust load. Extruding the final shape of the housing makes it cheap for Lexus to produce, but its not good if you are worried about long term durability/fatigue issues with the redesign we wanted. So in addition to significantly beefing up the cross section of the housing, we also machined the housing so that the grain flow would be perpendicular to the applied thrust load.

Designing a bushing/housing system also makes it easier to install, so that folks would not have to press out the stock bushing. So once you install our USRS, you can throw the stock LCA bushing in the garbage where it belongs:-)

Lastly, our USRS for the lower control arm is 100% made in the USA, from the design, material sourcing, to the manufacturing, this is very important to us in order to maintain quality, and for other reasons.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Last edited by RRRacing; 06-10-15 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-10-15, 10:23 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Very impressive. I'll be ordering your bushing in the next few days (or weeks), and report back here on my impressions.

Last edited by ISF_GG; 06-10-15 at 10:59 PM.
Old 06-11-15, 08:52 AM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RRR are you planning to offer any discounts to get your bushings out and get some reviews? At your price point you are up against an established vendor here and might have a hard time gaining traction. I know white line used to offer initial discounts to get the products into the community and get some reviews .
Old 06-11-15, 10:10 AM
ckkone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RRR those look great!
Old 06-11-15, 04:17 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Besides Rafi, I have these bushings installed (proud guinea pig).
Here's my testimonial:
I could explain the car's steering like this: it feels much more like point-and-shoot now than it did prior to install.
The steering is more direct--this is due to a big reduction in the amount of deflection under turning and braking (the bushing is not only solid, but the housing is independently machined to be much beefier than stock). The steering feels stiffer--this is due to the increase in caster.
The car is much more confidence inspiring not only at high speeds, but at braking at high speeds as well.
There's another aftermarket bushing offering out there, but those bushings reuse stock housings. They even cost more.
The car feels so much different (I have an 08) that I am sort of astonished, especially since I didn't expect such a big delta.
I hope Rafi provides insurance for spirited-driving or "hooning" tickets
Old 06-11-15, 04:40 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Thanks JDMV8! It looks like an amazing LCA bushing. I'm placing my order for one now.
Old 06-11-15, 04:55 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Just got off the phone with Rafi, good guy and very knowledgeable! Sounds like he has a bunch of stuff in the pipeline for the F which is exciting to say the least, to have another vendor willing to support the F for aftermarket performance parts! I will be ordering these soon as they should be out by the end of the month.
Old 06-11-15, 08:44 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess we can't buy them just yet

Quick Reply: Bushing options