IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I know what I'm doing this weekend!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-15, 12:46 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default I know what I'm doing this weekend!!!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...-thread-3.html

A little present just showed up on my doorstep from the UPS fairy. Looks like I'll be working on the ISF this weekend...Things are coming together nicely. I'll get the 2pc rotors and semi-track pads on this weekend and get my Enkei PF01s back from powder coating within the next few days. The Potentza RE-71R tires in 275/35R18 should arrive at the tire shop early next week.

All this in time for a Summit Point HPDE weekend on 6/7 June.

Bedding in these rotors and pads isn't going to be easy though. I think I'm going to have to do it in the middle of the night on an empty freeway out in the country where repeated high speed near stops won't be dangerous for other drivers. Anybody else have experience with this? I did this with my Proj Mu pads a few years ago and it was a hassle but not too bad, but these are new (harder) rotors and higher temp pads. Thanks in advance.

...oh yeah, got to give a shout out to Mike (FIGS Engineering) for another good purchase experience.
Attached Thumbnails I know what I'm doing this weekend!!!-rb-1.jpg   I know what I'm doing this weekend!!!-rb-2.jpg  

Last edited by Gymkata; 05-26-15 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-26-15, 01:05 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

ohhh yeah..... the joy feeling of getting ready for track day...
Old 05-26-15, 02:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Congrats buddy. Exciting!!
Old 05-26-15, 02:41 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice looking rotors, who makes those?
Old 05-26-15, 03:02 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It won't be as hard as you think to bed those rotors with carbotech pads, a couple of threshold brakes from 80-20 and you should be good to go. Nice setup! What brake fluid are you running?
Old 05-26-15, 03:04 PM
quarius
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahh yes the 2 piece RacingBrake rotors. You're gonna love em. They feel great on mine, they're a bit lighter and brake great. Plus they look awesome Enjoy!
Old 05-26-15, 03:23 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

nice rotors! would love to rock them just for the weight savings but too $$$ for my blood, esp since i don't track the car.
Old 05-26-15, 03:30 PM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Impressive looking rotors. In the past, I have done bed-in procedures on empty highways as you suggested. There is always that one car appearing out of nowhere..
Old 05-26-15, 03:42 PM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

^agreed above, bedding isn't any different than any other car I've done brake/rotor swaps on. Good job buying a terrific product from a great vendor!
Old 05-26-15, 04:02 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZaxF
It won't be as hard as you think to bed those rotors with carbotech pads, a couple of threshold brakes from 80-20 and you should be good to go. Nice setup! What brake fluid are you running?
You really think that's all the bed-in that's necessary? Carbotech only included track bed-in instructions for the pads. BTW, I had this brake fluid put in by TMI at VIR before my hyperdrive earlier this month.
Attached Thumbnails I know what I'm doing this weekend!!!-brake-fluid.jpg   I know what I'm doing this weekend!!!-20150520_153853.jpg   I know what I'm doing this weekend!!!-20150520_153905.jpg  
Old 05-26-15, 06:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

those pads are the ones that can handle those 140 mph stops. I have been fine with my oem Brembos but I have been told for tracks with huge straights the Carbotechs are the way to go.

Other than weight what is the advantage of the 2 pc rotors?? Easier to change out rotor and keep the center hat??
Old 05-26-15, 06:42 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gymkata
You really think that's all the bed-in that's necessary? Carbotech only included track bed-in instructions for the pads. BTW, I had this brake fluid put in by TMI at VIR before my hyperdrive earlier this month.

Those three steps performed on the street are much easier than having to run multiple laps, especially if you're in a group. Bedding pads on your test laps is frowned on unless you're the last car out. I bed my carbotech pads to brand new OEM rotors in about 15 minutes. Warming them up would finding your way to a road that lets you get up to speed and jam on the brakes safely. As long as you're not running OEM fluid you should be good. I run motul 660 and had zero fade on all my previous days. Im interested to see how they hold up in 90 degree heat at AMS in July (150+ speeds from what I hear)
Old 05-26-15, 07:20 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
those pads are the ones that can handle those 140 mph stops. I have been fine with my oem Brembos but I have been told for tracks with huge straights the Carbotechs are the way to go.

Other than weight what is the advantage of the 2 pc rotors?? Easier to change out rotor and keep the center hat??
From what understand, the RacingBrake 2 pc rotors are lighter, dissipate heat better, are more resistant to cracking, and are a harder metal than the stock rotors so they last longer...and if you wear through the rotors you can just replace the outside instead of the entire assembly.
Old 05-26-15, 07:21 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZaxF
Those three steps performed on the street are much easier than having to run multiple laps, especially if you're in a group. Bedding pads on your test laps is frowned on unless you're the last car out. I bed my carbotech pads to brand new OEM rotors in about 15 minutes. Warming them up would finding your way to a road that lets you get up to speed and jam on the brakes safely. As long as you're not running OEM fluid you should be good. I run motul 660 and had zero fade on all my previous days. Im interested to see how they hold up in 90 degree heat at AMS in July (150+ speeds from what I hear)
I imagine you will have high oil and transmission temps in those conditions in addition to stressing the brakes.
Old 05-26-15, 09:38 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Please post pics of the final install! Very curious to see how they look and perform!

Quick Reply: I know what I'm doing this weekend!!!