IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

tow truck damage

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-15, 08:35 AM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default tow truck damage

So yesterday on the way into work, the car started to drive and sound funny. Few mins later a CEL popped up and started to flash and the car went into limp mode. I got it to the front gate at work and shut the car off. I had just got it back the day prior from my 90k service and two recalls, cooling fan and fuel rail. I knew people were having issues after the fuel rail recall so I opted to get the car towed because I wasn't 100% sure it was from the recall and didn't want to risk driving. So I called my insurance company (USAA) to set up a tow because I had trouble getting someone at roadside assistance through Lexus. So the truck comes up and I talk with the driver for a min before he tries to get the car on the lift. He tries to nose it on but I tell him to stop because the bumper was hitting the ramp. So he backs off and tries to go up the lift backwards. Well as he does the front bumper scrapes the ground and gouges the hell out of the bumper in a few spots. This is where things start to get heated..I told the driver thats unacceptable that you just damageed my bumper. He comes back with well it couldn't be helped and nothing he can do about it. We start to go back and fourth about it and he asks me what I want to do. I tell him I need to get the car to Lexus and we will discuss it more there. To which he replies oh, there will be no discussing it there if I have to paint the car I am going to drop it back on the ground. I told him he might as well off load it now because this wasn't cool. He went on the say the cars suspension has been modified (I'm on eibachs up front only, so I'm pretty sure the car still would have scraped the ground trying to get on the lift) and went on to say the ground effects (I don't have any) make the car even lower. So he offloads the car and again scrapes the ground. At this point I am furious and trying to get a hold of USAA to file the complaint and what I need to do to get the car right again. Meanwhile after the driver gets the car on the ground he takes off without a word, he couldn't get out of there fast enough. Ended up driving the car to Lexus very carefully and found out it was a missfire from cylinders 6 and 8. The worst damage on the bumper is on the "fangs" just outside on the lower grill that are visible from standing away from the car. USAA has started an incident claim, just gotta get some better pics and quote. After the way this guys attitude switched gears so quick, I'm willing to bet he's had more than one complaint against his company. Had it been me or if he would have been like hey I'm sorry about that I'll take care of it for you the situation would have been a lot different. Anyway here are the pics I took yesterday. Rant over.
Old 05-21-15, 09:15 AM
matthewusm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow. sorry to hear that. Completely unacceptable. I had my starter go out a few months ago, under warranty, and they sent a flat bed tow truck out to pick it up. I warned them it was a low car (lowered and splitters). The tow truck guy had the same issue, but my outcome was totally different. Because the incline was too steep, he put boards under the front tires in order to make it not drag the front splitters and bumper. Took almost an hour but he did it the correct way. He earned a customer for life by taking his time and using his brain.
For him to say that there was no way around it is total BS. It's not your fault he didn't have the proper equipment or experience. I hope you get it resolved, I would be fuming....
Old 05-21-15, 09:53 AM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Guessing you had the same thing happen as my car after the recall. They didn't hook up the EVAP or some other sensor which put it in limp mode. Took about 45 min for the dealer to fix it. Still bs but make sure Lexus gives you some kind of compensation. They gave me a free oil change for my next service but after my fiasco with my local Lexus I doubt I'll even use it.
Old 05-21-15, 10:19 AM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I try to avoid making comments on lowered cars but this is gotten me thinking.

Why do you lower a car that has been originally engineered by people that really know what they are doing? Does it really make the car better? Whenever I see one with the wheel alignment completely goofed up, I honestly don't get it.

When I see one with the wheels splayed out at all four corners and the wrong size wheels and tires, I wonder how safe the car is.
Old 05-21-15, 10:25 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Dude, an occasional [RETURN] in your post will result in more people reading it.

Just an FYI, sucks to see the damage.
Old 05-21-15, 01:39 PM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

^^^eh, 95% of my posts are from my phone...
Originally Posted by lorenr
I try to avoid making comments on lowered cars but this is gotten me thinking.

Why do you lower a car that has been originally engineered by people that really know what they are doing? Does it really make the car better? Whenever I see one with the wheel alignment completely goofed up, I honestly don't get it.

When I see one with the wheels splayed out at all four corners and the wrong size wheels and tires, I wonder how safe the car is.
For me its purely looks. I don't track the car. My stock wheels when I bought the car were, in my opinion badly repaired. Plus I don't really car for the look of the 08-09 wheels
Old 05-21-15, 02:56 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

isn't this considered a hit & run?
Old 05-21-15, 02:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I had the same damage on my F from a parking block. You can buy some Dr colorchip and it will be totally unoticeable. easy fix
Old 05-21-15, 03:49 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by matthewusm
Because the incline was too steep, he put boards under the front tires in order to make it not drag the front splitters and bumper. Took almost an hour but he did it the correct way.
Ditto with some tow truck drivers I've had in the past, with any kind of lowered or low car I've had they've always put boards (2x4's) underneath the front tires so the car climbs up those and onto the bed. There have been no scraping using this method and that tow truck driver should have known this
Old 05-21-15, 08:04 PM
eddyisf
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

welcome to the lowered life style it was bound to happen one day don't stress it you know what they say "If you ain't scraping you faking"
Old 05-22-15, 01:58 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

Haha, that's not even low to scrape your car. The tow truck driver did not give one eff and just threw your car on there. When I had to get my car towed, since it was lower the driver did not want to tow it but I told him its fine even if he did scratch it. He threw on 2x4s and tried his best and he did not. So your situation is unacceptable.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 05-22-15, 03:15 AM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by eddyisf
welcome to the lowered life style it was bound to happen one day don't stress it you know what they say "If you ain't scraping you faking"
I agree 100%....had it been me. Oh well guess I need to be more careful. But because it was done by someone else and done without care. Its a different story. My side skirt for example.. I have some visible damage on it from the second day I had the car. I was show boating and a fender liner blew out. Ye I was upset but it was my fault.
Old 05-22-15, 02:09 PM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It comes down to the operator of the tow truck if he's capable of thinking and using his noggin. Some know what they're doing some don't care .

I always state the car is lowered so that the tow truck driver will have the equipment to do the job. If they don't the driver won't take the call and this would have been avoided.
Old 05-22-15, 02:37 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Tow truck drivers.......................enough said.

Hope you get it fixed. I would have been in his face probably, wouldn't be surprised if a fight broke.
Old 05-25-15, 02:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Dr colorchip. Im telling you man, you will not even see a difference . My damage came from a parking attendant at a valet. Fixed for $40

Quick Reply: tow truck damage