IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

My Sway Bar Bushes Chewed themselves to bits

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-15, 01:48 PM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Angry My Sway Bar Bushes Chewed themselves to bits

So last week I started getting a funny noise from the back when going over rough roads. At first I thought it was my tools in the boot, so took them out and still could hear a weird metal noise every now and then.

Looked under the car today and found my sway bar bushes were chewed to bits.

They've been on for nearly a year and a half now and I have no idea why they would be like this. It looks like either too much heat or something which ripped the bushes apart.

Does anyone have any idea why this would happen? the front OEM bushes for reference is pictured in the end and they look fine.

Passenger side:

Driver side:

OEM front bushes:

Now the weird thing is I found half of one of the bushes stuck in the middle of the sway bar. that's what got my attention. How can it end up half way up the bar and still stay stuck to the bar itself?

Old 05-18-15, 01:59 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

My immediate thought is the bushing was not lubed up properly during install? I would have thought that would just lead to noise - not disintegration.
Old 05-18-15, 02:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

did sikky provide those bushings or did they use the oem set, Look green so I am assuming sikky. Odd that they would break down like that
Old 05-18-15, 02:25 PM
Defratos
Racer

Originally Posted by Vervish
My immediate thought is the bushing was not lubed up properly during install? I would have thought that would just lead to noise - not disintegration.
Yup they were lubed very well, I made sure of that during the install.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
did sikky provide those bushings or did they use the oem set, Look green so I am assuming sikky. Odd that they would break down like that
Yes they're the sikky bushes.

Now I'm wondering if to get a replacement set or order a different brand if any exist.
Old 05-18-15, 02:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

can you use the oem bushings?? If not I would call sikky directly and see if they can give you a set and some lube for them in case
Old 05-18-15, 06:22 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

I just looked at the Sikky instructions, and yes they indicate a lubricant for the bushings. I have they F-Sport bar, and those bushings are installed dry.

Lou
Old 05-18-15, 07:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Wondering if the tech assumed it was ok to install without lube. In the end should be an easy fix
Old 05-19-15, 01:23 AM
Defratos
Racer

I was there during the install and I made sure the bushes were lubed very well so that is out of the question.

The only thing I can think of is maybe there was a tare in the bushes before install ( a small one) that could have lead to the bushes ripping apart like that under stress. That's the only conclusion I can think of.
Old 05-19-15, 02:12 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe they weren't seated properly which caused added stress and eventually failed?

I haven't seen anyone else with an issue so this is very odd. I would definitely get in touch Sikky and see what they say and propose.
Old 05-19-15, 04:19 AM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you know if the tech used a petroleum based lube? Read using that on rubber or poly bushings could break the bushings down over time.
Old 05-19-15, 04:32 AM
Defratos
Racer

Originally Posted by kauaian
Maybe they weren't seated properly which caused added stress and eventually failed?

I haven't seen anyone else with an issue so this is very odd. I would definitely get in touch Sikky and see what they say and propose.
Now I had the same thought, if they weren't seated properly then it could lead to this, but I'm sure they were seated properly but there is a small chance that I did not notice it.

It's a bit difficult to not seat the bushes correctly, as there is a flat side on one end which only fits one way really.

Below is a pic of one of the bushes during the actual install a year back and the bush looks like it's seated correctly:

Originally Posted by T4styPh0
Do you know if the tech used a petroleum based lube? Read using that on rubber or poly bushings could break the bushings down over time.
I have the lube I used on the bushes, I'll see what it is once I get home. This is a possibility but will confirm later.

Last edited by Defratos; 05-19-15 at 05:08 AM.
Old 05-19-15, 04:33 AM
Defratos
Racer

Does anyone know if these bushes from Figs will work with the Sikky rear sway bars? ---> http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...product_id=121

The Sikky rear bars are 3/4' in diameter so I'm not sure if that's ok with these bushes. They're supposed to replace the OEM bushes and the OEM rear bar from what I remember was a different diameter.
Old 05-19-15, 05:30 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes but you need the 19mm bushing which is currently out of stock.

Why did you choose not to use the Sikky end links?
Old 05-19-15, 05:43 AM
Defratos
Racer

Well I don't need to do any adjustments, still on OEM wheels, Shocks and height. Not planning on changing either.

I did install new OEM end-links when I installed the Sikky Sways just for peace of mind.
Old 05-19-15, 09:01 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

humm. i have had my bar for a few years now and have had no awkward wear

Quick Reply: My Sway Bar Bushes Chewed themselves to bits