IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

First Drive Figs-Penske Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-15, 12:21 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

ahh, so technically you can't lower your car by like 2 inches in the front? haha.( not trying to defeat the purpose of getting coilovers meant for handling by getting a slammed car, but to the point where the car looks really good but handles really good)

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 05-19-15, 12:36 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

'Technically' you can do whatever you want...'Mechanically' it's a different story.
Old 05-19-15, 02:13 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Again, I appreciate the pictures and response...this will be another item to add to the list! I look forward to reading your post after you installed and adjusted the new parts👍
Old 05-19-15, 07:27 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

The secondary thing we are doing with the rear suspension is reducing the toe link influence and increasing cornering stabiliy while IN corner load. This means after the weigh has transitioned and stabilized keeping the vehicle planted through apex and departure plus knowing exactly what the rear end is doing.
The coilovers will allow pretty much full bumpsteer droop, meaning you can ride on bumpstops. The front shock stroke is already short though, which is why around1-1.25" front is what I would suggest to have functional travel. The helper spring setup is there to preload the spring regardless of ride height, in most cases it would be compressed in preload to achieve the desired ride height .
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 05-19-15, 10:25 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FIGS
The secondary thing we are doing with the rear suspension is reducing the toe link influence and increasing cornering stabiliy while IN corner load. This means after the weigh has transitioned and stabilized keeping the vehicle planted through apex and departure plus knowing exactly what the rear end is doing.
The coilovers will allow pretty much full bumpsteer droop, meaning you can ride on bumpstops. The front shock stroke is already short though, which is why around1-1.25" front is what I would suggest to have functional travel. The helper spring setup is there to preload the spring regardless of ride height, in most cases it would be compressed in preload to achieve the desired ride height .
Mike
Thanks Mike. I doubt I'll go any lower than its currently set unless for some reason corner balancing requires it. I had some fun on the backroads tonight on the way home and think I'm going to tighten them up a click or two, I was feeling a bit more body roll as I plowed through the back roads than I did yesterday. Still had a ****eating grin on my face the whole time though.
Old 05-19-15, 11:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Just read up on these coil overs and WOW!! Very nice stuff. LOL and I thought the KWs were high end and expensive. Between the quality hardware, and all of the proper adjustability you have to remove the negative affects of going lower on track , in terms of dropping the car without the adjustability to camber and toe,etc, I think you are going to kill it on the track ! Keep us posted ZaxF. Post some track footage too. I want to see how well your F negotiates those tight turns, chicanes, and fast transitions. The F is great in fast sweeper but when the courses get very technical the weight really shows when you start transferring that weight back and fourth quickly. In fact our most technical track out here is my least favorite because the car just feels so heavy . Im sure coilovers would help but not sure if I want to go that far right now. Congrats buddy.
Old 05-31-15, 12:03 PM
torxuvin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its looking good for my schedule to get to C&O in June. I think Cam (torxvin) know's someone who is a member at AMP, maybe we can get a few F's together next month.
Yep. I know a few people up there. I will be up for track time once I get all my bushings in this month.

BTW Congrats man. Can't wait to see how different it feels.
Old 06-01-15, 07:19 AM
suprasupra
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by torxuvin
Yep. I know a few people up there. I will be up for track time once I get all my bushings in this month.

BTW Congrats man. Can't wait to see how different it feels.
I would be up for a track day anytime , let me know if you plan a day . I am not modified just a stock 12 so I will give you guys the point by !
Larry
Old 06-02-15, 07:19 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by suprasupra
I would be up for a track day anytime , let me know if you plan a day . I am not modified just a stock 12 so I will give you guys the point by !
Larry
It would be nice to get all the ISF's together at AMP sometime.I've driven my G35 and a F430 there, I also coached a kid in a EVO that didn't work out so well though. It seems like most of you guys have the 2010+ with the LSD. I really am bummed my 08 doesn't have it but I'm still willing to track here with what I got. Anyone have a ELSD car? Is it going to be that annoying to drive at the track? So far I've been able to work with the ELSD and although it seems not as linear is the MLSD on my 240 race car it still seems acceptablish.
Old 06-02-15, 07:28 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

...I'm very jealous of those coilovers to say the least.
Old 06-02-15, 07:38 PM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Piston1047
It would be nice to get all the ISF's together at AMP sometime.I've driven my G35 and a F430 there, I also coached a kid in a EVO that didn't work out so well though. It seems like most of you guys have the 2010+ with the LSD. I really am bummed my 08 doesn't have it but I'm still willing to track here with what I got. Anyone have a ELSD car? Is it going to be that annoying to drive at the track? So far I've been able to work with the ELSD and although it seems not as linear is the MLSD on my 240 race car it still seems acceptablish.
I agree we need to get a bunch of us up at AMP. I think the ISF shines well up there and I think the track is great. Lobuxracer (Lance) has a 2008 and he tracks his car frequently. He can give you some pointers on the eLSD. I think one person had mentioned not going over board if you leave traction control on since it will really be hard on the rear brakes.
Old 06-02-15, 08:01 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PatrickISF
I agree we need to get a bunch of us up at AMP. I think the ISF shines well up there and I think the track is great. Lobuxracer (Lance) has a 2008 and he tracks his car frequently. He can give you some pointers on the eLSD. I think one person had mentioned not going over board if you leave traction control on since it will really be hard on the rear brakes.
Oh yeah, I have seen a few of his posts, he's a pretty knowledgeable guy it appears. He's been MIA in the recent GA topic threads. I noticed a few guys who track their ELSD cars, so maybe I'm just being to skeptical. Another awesome track that is kinda close is Barber Motorsports park. I raced at that track in Feb and it is so awesome, lots of good elevation. My friend works at continental as a test engineer and he is going to get me a deal on a set of DW's. I was thinking 285 rear 245 front on stock rims. Maybe ZaxF can donate his later model suspension to help ( for a small fee ofcoarse)
Old 06-02-15, 08:03 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Default First Drive Figs-Penske Coilovers

Our best bet might be to do one of the SCCA track nights for $150 (but they usually have a $50 discount). I think even a member guest is like $250 for a day on the track. I can contact AMP and see if we could set up a group outing and find out how much it would cost to have the track to ourselves too since there seems to be a good amount of interest.
Old 06-02-15, 08:12 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Default First Drive Figs-Penske Coilovers

Originally Posted by Piston1047
Oh yeah, I have seen a few of his posts, he's a pretty knowledgeable guy it appears. He's been MIA in the recent GA topic threads. I noticed a few guys who track their ELSD cars, so maybe I'm just being to skeptical. Another awesome track that is kinda close is Barber Motorsports park. I raced at that track in Feb and it is so awesome, lots of good elevation. My friend works at continental as a test engineer and he is going to get me a deal on a set of DW's. I was thinking 285 rear 245 front on stock rims. Maybe ZaxF can donate his later model suspension to help ( for a small fee ofcoarse)
I second Barber as well. I had a blast on that track and want to see how the car performs with the new coils and I'm able to compare with real data collected from my previous runs in stock form. It's much more technical than AMS that I'm driving next month and will really give the Penske's a workout. Plus some good video for I8ABMR! My old struts are in the garage...waiting for a new home. Come to C&O Sunday and we'll talk.
Old 06-02-15, 08:29 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ZaxF
I second Barber as well. I had a blast on that track and want to see how the car performs with the new coils and I'm able to compare with real data collected from my previous runs in stock form. It's much more technical than AMS that I'm driving next month and will really give the Penske's a workout. Plus some good video for I8ABMR! My old struts are in the garage...waiting for a new home. Come to C&O Sunday and we'll talk.
Cool, either way I will see you and the rest of the folks there this weekend and we can chat some more!

Quick Reply: First Drive Figs-Penske Coilovers