IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

First Drive Figs-Penske Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-15, 12:02 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default First Drive Figs-Penske Coilovers

I got around to installing these this morning. Had to leave the race mega arms, busings, and toe links for another day.

Really only one word can be used to describe the feeling of these coilovers. Precise.

Every steering input, every sharp corner, dips in the road, hair pin turns right or left, or threshold braking, there is nothing that can make this car feel like it isn't absolutely planted to the earth. Settings are currently whatever Mike sent them to me as, so I've got 39 more to explore. I won't get my first full track day in until July, but I may try to sneak in some time at AMP if I can find a member to sponsor me for a weekend.

I'll report more as I get into the settings and see what I can dial in and out, but right now, they're pretty damn perfect.

Weight savings of about 8lbs per corner.

Old 05-18-15, 12:17 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

wow Zach, getting track ready...
Old 05-18-15, 12:21 PM
ihadboost
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Whoa, those are siiiiick!

I'm willing to wager that after you tune them to your liking, they will be even better. As far as day-to-day comfort is concerned, how do you think they will stack up to say, stock suspension? Are you running sway bars as well?
Old 05-18-15, 12:26 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice, I remember when I got my tein monflex's on my G35 and was able to tune them just right, so nice to be able to dial the car in just right. I'm excited to check it out if you decide to come to caffeine and Octane next month. What are you going to do with the stock suspension? My 08 could use an upgrade
Old 05-18-15, 12:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Congrats buddy !! You are rocking the premium suspension set up. Very cool
Old 05-18-15, 01:08 PM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Now you have to come to the Caffeine and Octane so I can check it out! Let me know if you go to AMP any time soon. I want to get back on the track again.
Old 05-18-15, 02:12 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

They are the best. Took me a few months to find the ultimate street/track ready setting for me. It's set up much softer than I thought it would be and I'm a happy camper. Every other car these shocks are made for run
$6-10,000. At 4800 new threw mike this is an opportunity that should not be ignored.
Old 05-18-15, 02:12 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chris07is
wow Zach, getting track ready...
Hell yeah buddy! I want to run Global Time Attack next year and see how the F competes.

Originally Posted by ihadboost
Whoa, those are siiiiick!

I'm willing to wager that after you tune them to your liking, they will be even better. As far as day-to-day comfort is concerned, how do you think they will stack up to say, stock suspension? Are you running sway bars as well?
They are quite comfortable actually, and no on the sways, everything else is stock currently. I was pleasantly surprised when I pulled out of the driveway and went through the bumpy exit of my neighborhood. They soaked up every little wow in the asphalt to a point that I thought they might be too soft, but when I hammered on it around the backroads up in Woodstock, it felt like a completely different car. Impressive.

Originally Posted by Piston1047
Nice, I remember when I got my tein monflex's on my G35 and was able to tune them just right, so nice to be able to dial the car in just right. I'm excited to check it out if you decide to come to caffeine and Octane next month. What are you going to do with the stock suspension? My 08 could use an upgrade
Right now they're sitting in my garage. I may find a home for them as I'm sure if I ever decide to get rid of the F there will be plenty of people looking to swap out whatever they've got (+cash of course, haha).

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Congrats buddy !! You are rocking the premium suspension set up. Very cool
Thanks bud, I can't wait to get it back on the track!

Originally Posted by PatrickISF
Now you have to come to the Caffeine and Octane so I can check it out! Let me know if you go to AMP any time soon. I want to get back on the track again.
Its looking good for my schedule to get to C&O in June. I think Cam (torxvin) know's someone who is a member at AMP, maybe we can get a few F's together next month.

Last edited by ZaxF; 05-18-15 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-18-15, 04:28 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks for ordering these, There is nothing better to tame the weight of this car IMO. It truly makes going fast a safer experience and makes it behave like a car 500lbs lighter. I think once you get the rear components on you will be in a new league of control
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 05-18-15, 05:31 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

......I told myself I wouldn't mod anymore.. I wonder how this compares to kw v3s.. Anyone have any experience between the two? Mike @ Figs or Darbs?

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 05-18-15, 06:31 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been in a few cars ( not an isf) with kw3 and the ride is great. The performance does not seem to be the same. The penskes can be very very hard, do not let the car move. Or the can be so soft and everywhere I between. Each few clicks on the penskes is like getting a new set of shocks.
Old 05-18-15, 07:12 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Is the initial height/ stance of the vehicle the same as factory? Or they come setup lower in the front and rear?
Old 05-19-15, 07:23 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
Is the initial height/ stance of the vehicle the same as factory? Or they come setup lower in the front and rear?
I wish I had measured before installation. Eyeballing it, probably 1" in the rear and 3/4" in the front. They can definitely go lower, the damper is threaded from top to bottom. I doubt I will go any lower due to the lack of adjustment available for the front suspension. The rear I'll be able to play with a lot once the mega arms and toe links are in. Here's a picture of how it sits now.

And Before

Last edited by ZaxF; 05-19-15 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-19-15, 08:50 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Wow! I appreciate the pictures! I think it looks perfect the way it sits now...let me ask you with the mega arms and toe links you'll be able to play with other adjustments in order to increase the handling of the vehicle right? Does this setup rub underneath the car at all?
Old 05-19-15, 09:05 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

So the idea behind the mega arms and toe links is to give you the ability to correctly align the vehicle after lowering. The F platform gives you very limited functionality when it comes to moving around camber or toe settings and when the car is lowered, you risk being out of alignment, thus creating a bad scenario for track use (if you're not putting all the tire on the ground), tire wear, bushing strain, etc. These parts allow you to fully address the changes in suspension when lowered. I have no rubbing whatsoever. I do need to put my track wheels and tires on, as they are a slightly lower offset (+38) with upsized tires (245/275), and they may rub a bit.

Quick Reply: First Drive Figs-Penske Coilovers