IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Weekend at the track with ISF

Old 05-18-15, 07:30 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Weekend at the track with ISF

I finally got to try out the ISF at the track. This was my first time at Thunderbolt in NJ, so I had my instructor buddy hop in with me for the first session. I left nannys on and in auto mode but with sport. My first time out wasn't great, my lines sucked and I wasn't hitting apexes right, with that, the nannys were waking up very often and cutting off my throttle, gear control wasn't great either when nanny took over.

More I drove on the track the more I was turning off in the car, I wasn't happy with it either to tell you the truth, compared to my previous Evo, but the more I was pushing it, the better I knew the track, the more fun I was starting to have.

By 4th session I was in paddle shifters and ripping it, when I think about it, first session I was being passed by everything in my group, by 4th session and next day, the only car that passed me was a new M3 modded and with suspension work, what was surprising that my buddy in 997 TT "stock" was barely inching on me on the straight away.

The PF01's with 265's all around behaved awesome, no rubbing nothing, perfect square setup 265 all around, with impressive grip, after removing all 4 yesterday, the wear on them was even and still plenty of rubber left for more days to come.

I still drove with nannys, but on the second day, my knowledge of the track and car improved by a lot and I was much smoother, had better control of the gears and nanny was asleep almost all the time, not bothering me, I guess it liked the driver more and more. :P

I'm not sure if I like it more than an Evo *yet*, but what I like the most was not having to worry about anything, I could beat on it, I let my friend drive it, I took it out after, it just wanted more, wasn't tired, temps were within acceptable limits and it didn't even care if it was beat on, started and went on to have more without issues, leaks or blown engines, hopped in car afterwords and drove home in luxury with ice-cold AC

Here are some photos, I'll upload videos later!

Word of advice for those with ISF's. Take it to the track! That car needs to be on the track, that's the only time I saw it wake up, take corners like a champ, no understeer, nice slide control, direct steering, incredible car and my heart smiles for not having to even pick up a wrench to do anything on the car for 2 days straight!
Old 05-18-15, 07:58 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Amazing, track is addicting... We were just at the track with another buddy with an is f 2 weeks ago at california speedway...it was awesome...post some video if you have some...
Old 05-18-15, 09:11 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chris07is
Amazing, track is addicting... We were just at the track with another buddy with an is f 2 weeks ago at california speedway...it was awesome...post some video if you have some...
Yeah, it is. Though two days take a toll on you to be frank. The little fruit fly's were like vampires, having a feat on us, my arms like bitten to hell by them.

I'll post up some videos, still haven't downloaded them from the GoPro, but will do that later. I'm already looking to sign up for more days, you guys have no idea how comforting it is to go the a track and back without any issues and looking for more.

I maybe doing Lime Rock on the July 4th weekend, it'll be a nice event with some holiday fun, grill, drinking etc. if anybody's interested in doing it and then we have a big event at Pocono Raceway on July 11th for very reasonable fee, you can track your car all day. Also, I live 5min away from the track, so I'll probably be hosting a little BBQ for friends, ISF'ers are invited to crush for some food and beer. There will be instructor friends that can probably ride with you in your ISF, give you pointers, or actually give you a ride in your ISF quickly around the corners, to show you what the car is capable of, or you could just pick their brains.

Hyperdrive is available for I think $50 that gets you 20min at the track with an Instructor, can't say it's going to be a world changing experience, as usually you hit the "train" with all these new drivers, but it doesn't always have to be that way. If anybody's interested in doing these and would like to get a good starting point, hit me up, I'd like to see more ISF's at the track, as it's mostly BMW's!

Last edited by bbong; 05-18-15 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-18-15, 10:42 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Lots of fun track day , a bit nervous but fun lolz.
Old 05-18-15, 12:13 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes!!! Another F-in track junkie!! Congrats on your first time out. Good job on working the line before going after it. Smooth is fast, and until you run the perfect line muscling the F through the track is no fun. She really wakes up when you add in the paddle shifters, I did the same as you on my first two sessions out running in sport-auto, and then it was like the motor got 5 times its size when you go into shifting. Best of luck to you and keep hitting it!
Old 05-18-15, 01:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Right on !! We need to get more of these Fs out on the track. I can imagine the EVO was lighter and had some serious grip but the F , like you said, can be pounded on with no issues
Old 05-18-15, 03:27 PM
bbong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ZaxF
Yes!!! Another F-in track junkie!! Congrats on your first time out. Good job on working the line before going after it. Smooth is fast, and until you run the perfect line muscling the F through the track is no fun. She really wakes up when you add in the paddle shifters, I did the same as you on my first two sessions out running in sport-auto, and then it was like the motor got 5 times its size when you go into shifting. Best of luck to you and keep hitting it!
I strongly believe that F's place is at the track and taking from and to it Yeah my instructor friend told me the same thing, work your way towards the clean lines and nanny's wont bother you, but the switch to paddle shifters put a smile on my face

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Right on !! We need to get more of these Fs out on the track. I can imagine the EVO was lighter and had some serious grip but the F , like you said, can be pounded on with no issues
That is what I'm trying to do, invite you to the Pocono event! Sign up and come down, seeing all these bimmers there and I was the only ISF, we need to represent. Evo was lighter by probably 600lbs, had suspension work (coilovers), x-brace and very fat R-compound tires 255 all around, pretty much 0-body-roll. I'm currently on stock Evo 9 Turbo on the Evo, so I was thinking about running both cars on the July 11th.
Old 05-18-15, 05:33 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 666 Likes on 589 Posts

hope you smoked that FRS, gen coupe, and Camaro :P

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 05-19-15, 09:09 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by joshhleee
hope you smoked that FRS, gen coupe, and Camaro :P
The Gen was blowing oil, gas and fire during shifts and rev limit hit, he was actually pretty slow. The camaro, was only gaining on me when I was hitting the train and then I was pulling away from him. The FRS actually passed me, as that was the first session and I was in total "women" mode in the ISF, later in the day I was only passed by a Porsche 997.5TT and modded M3.
Old 05-19-15, 03:39 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by bbong
The Gen was blowing oil, gas and fire during shifts and rev limit hit, he was actually pretty slow. The camaro, was only gaining on me when I was hitting the train and then I was pulling away from him. The FRS actually passed me, as that was the first session and I was in total "women" mode in the ISF, later in the day I was only passed by a Porsche 997.5TT and modded M3.
same here, I have a brz passed me. Here's what they've thought us, "not about just high Horsepower, but who has the fastest lap." a lot of smaller cars have faster lap than the one with huge horsepower...
Old 05-19-15, 04:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I strongly believe that F's place is at the track and taking from and to it Yeah my instructor friend told me the same thing, work your way towards the clean lines and nanny's wont bother you, but the switch to paddle shifters put a smile on my face

That is what I'm trying to do, invite you to the Pocono event! Sign up and come down, seeing all these bimmers there and I was the only ISF, we need to represent. Evo was lighter by probably 600lbs, had suspension work (coilovers), x-brace and very fat R-compound tires 255 all around, pretty much 0-body-roll. I'm currently on stock Evo 9 Turbo on the Evo, so I was thinking about running both cars on the July 11th.

Damn man that EVO sounded insane. Nicely built !
Old 05-19-15, 05:58 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Do you have a link to the July track event in the Poconos?
Old 05-20-15, 11:30 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
[/B]
Damn man that EVO sounded insane. Nicely built !
Wife wants to see it gone, I'm kind of reluctant to let it go, but I've been having engine problems and it's due for another engine rebuild (cost about 5k)

Originally Posted by Gymkata
Do you have a link to the July track event in the Poconos?
Yup, https://www.nasaproracing.com/events/2089 sign up or if you don't want to, you can just drop in, if you have kids, wife, anybody interested, they'll have some events there, like Drift Taxi in a 4 seater drift preparred M5, food, shows etc. or if you want to just do a 20min run when you drop in, it's $50.
Old 05-20-15, 11:40 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chris07is
same here, I have a brz passed me. Here's what they've thought us, "not about just high Horsepower, but who has the fastest lap." a lot of smaller cars have faster lap than the one with huge horsepower...
I had one run with my buddy who has a Acura Integra with K22 swap, fully gutted + cage, and ofcourse all creature comforts removed. With him inside it weights 2380lbs, which is nothing compared to our cars and believe me. I would need some serious suspension work and probably R-compounds to hang with the guy on the corners. Straight away I was a tad faster, but don't underestimate those little mosquitos
Old 05-20-15, 12:23 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Wife wants to see it gone, I'm kind of reluctant to let it go, but I've been having engine problems and it's due for another engine rebuild (cost about 5k)

Yup, https://www.nasaproracing.com/events/2089 sign up or if you don't want to, you can just drop in, if you have kids, wife, anybody interested, they'll have some events there, like Drift Taxi in a 4 seater drift preparred M5, food, shows etc. or if you want to just do a 20min run when you drop in, it's $50.
a 3 1/2 hr drive one-way is pretty far for one day on the track. We'll see how much I'm itching to hit the track again after 2 days of HPDE at Summit point on 6/7 June.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weekend at the track with ISF