IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

08 ISF costs

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-15, 11:00 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 08 ISF costs

Hey CL, have been considering an 08 ISF, mostly because those are the ones that fit into my budget. My only questions are if the maintenance schedule costs are realistically 800-1k per year + a bit more for tires and how it holds up being an 8 year old car which is a bit more concerning than it having 80-90k miles. would love some input from members here with higher mileage/aged ISFs as to what i should expect, thanks
Old 05-14-15, 11:14 PM
Pie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought an 08 in January of this year with 59k miles and now have 65k miles. The only thing I have done is spark plugs, air filter, cabin filter, rotors, and oil change so far. I think I spent about $600 on all of that. Next is another oil change, rear tires, brake and differential flush. Most likely another $500-$600. Not bad at all.

I have only autocrossed the car so far, probably won't track until fall. It's been pretty reliable so far....just eats tires since it's hard not to wheel spin when taking off
Old 05-15-15, 01:15 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Truthfully, with a high performance car, maintenance will be higher no matter what. It helps to have go-to forum links on things you can do yourself, such as oil changes and brake pads/rotors. But while it will be about 1k for the more expensive items, it isn't anywhere near as costly as other brands and the procedures that needs to be addressed at certain intervals. I've always said that it's more important to factor these concerns into the budget so that one doesn't feel like it's being sprung on them out of nowhere. Maintain a car thoroughly, and it should treat you well for many years.

On the contrary, I have some friends who purchased other high performing vehicles that didn't account for things like new tires so suddenly into their ownership, and have taken a more cost effective route by getting brands that cost less or have speed ratings that aren't as highly rated. They even say that the performance factor is compromised and that they had to alter their driving habits to maximize brake pads and tire tread and even gas. I'm not saying it's a disrespect to not purchase the high end, true to form products for our vehicles, but it should be considered as part of the overall ownership experience.
Old 05-15-15, 04:55 AM
YotaLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought an 08 ISF a few months ago. I'm 25 and far from rich. It's not as bad as one may think...

You could save a lot of cash doing the work yourself. I take mine to the shop, still an affordable way. (When and if I do take it to the dealer I go to Toyota, not Lexus)
The oil change takes 10 quarts of oil... Browse around for people's oil preferences. I use AMSOIL, but there are people using oil brands half the price, with great results. Use the OE filter ($10-15) $75-150 total.

Haven't done brakes yet, but with 4 Raybestos Rotors and Stop tech pads + Labor = ($600-750)

Tires are pricey, especially the back tires. And I highly suggest you get Michellin Pilot Super Sport tires THEY ROCK! That was my first mod. But $150-$300+ per tire.

Also, there are a few open recalls on the 08's get those addressed and keep an eye open for leaky coolant!

I had the same worries you did before making the jump. I'm glad I got the car.
That's all I can think of, I just woke up. Let me know if I missed something. Good luck!
Old 05-15-15, 06:31 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ISF is extremely cheap to own if it is not your daily driver. If it is, it is still a lot cheaper to maintain than its competition (M3, C63, S4, etc). For a V8, mileage is very good (20mpg in city, 25+ in hwy). Tires can be ~$900 and is highly dependent on alignment settings and your style of driving. Typically they last anywhere from 20-25K. My last set lasted almost 30k. Brake pads vary in price, do some research. Reliability as you know is top notch. My car still pulls the way it did 4 years ago (I bought an 08 in 2011), and have had no issues besides the regular recall items which were covered.
Old 05-15-15, 06:40 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

I purchased an 08 last September, so far I have done the following:

1. Oil Change - $110
2. Differential Fluid Change - $70
3. Spark Plugs - $120 parts + $170 labour
4. New tires - $1425 (from Canada though)

Previous owner changed the brake pads for me. Rotors are still good. Car is 46.6k miles right now.
Old 05-15-15, 06:47 AM
ISFCOBRA
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Owning the ISF is well worth it. This is performance car which is a bit more expensive to own but it is to ones desire to own this car.

2013 ISF

Break down:
own a honda accord & ISF. (which are 2 completely different cars but you get an ideal)
honda Tires 1100. Tires from Discount Tire for ISF 1300 est.
Alignment 70 for honda. 90 for the ISF at the dealer.
Honda Oil change 40 at dealer. Oil change for ISF 80 at Dealer.
Air filter 20 at AZ. Air filter from MyLparts.com 52.
Brakes are the most costly and doing these your self is the best bet. 600 for the ISF
Old 05-15-15, 07:24 AM
H1_OFICR
Pole Position

I really looked into this before buying my 09 ISF and it seems other than normal stuff like air filters, oils and brakes, the only real expense is the 60k service.. I say that lightly because I was quoted 590 bucks for the spark plugs, 150 for the differential service and 200 something for brakes.. And that's JUST for those 3 items.. That doesn't include

All the " inspections" and checking the valve clearance..

I'm currently trying to figure out what really need so get done and where would be the most financially reasonable place to do it (gotta love buying a ISF then having your appendix removed 2 weeks later....)

As far as brakes.. Initially I was really worried about the expense but after digging around.. You can find a full set of brembo oem rotors for 440 bucks and full set of "oem" Textar pads for 142. Not to bad.
Old 05-15-15, 09:40 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

so from what I'm seeing to far my figures are not to far off then? the real thing holding me back right now is the age, as reliable as these cars are once they hit 10 years old+ i would expect things to go wrong, any big ticket items to worry about?
Old 05-15-15, 09:43 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
ISF is extremely cheap to own if it is not your daily driver. If it is, it is still a lot cheaper to maintain than its competition (M3, C63, S4, etc). For a V8, mileage is very good (20mpg in city, 25+ in hwy). Tires can be ~$900 and is highly dependent on alignment settings and your style of driving. Typically they last anywhere from 20-25K. My last set lasted almost 30k. Brake pads vary in price, do some research. Reliability as you know is top notch. My car still pulls the way it did 4 years ago (I bought an 08 in 2011), and have had no issues besides the regular recall items which were covered.
wow 30k, what tires were you using? i read that you would be lucky to get 15k on an ISFs tire life.
Old 05-15-15, 09:46 AM
H1_OFICR
Pole Position

I went through about 30 pages on the forums looking for problems.. The huge problems I found were:

Someone's hair getting messed up from wind flow from Windows (seriously.... These are the type of complaints.. Go on a m3 or amg forum. Blown transmissions, head bolt issues.. 6k brake jobs... )

No but seriously. Waterpumps, possible inner tire wear... Speeding tickets.. And ur empty bank account from buying carbon fiber..

These cars are over engineered.. Search "reliability" on here and u will not find one negative thing.. Pretty remarkable. But.... Make sure u gel your hair... The damn wind gets it every time.

Last edited by H1_OFICR; 05-27-15 at 02:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Yinric (07-04-21)
Old 05-15-15, 09:58 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bacrotty
I went through about 30 pages on the forums looking for problems.. The huge problems I found were:

Someone's hair getting messed up from wind flow from Windows (seriously.... These are the type of complaints.. Go on a m3 or amg forum. Blown tyrannies, head bold issues.. 6k brake jobs... )

No but seriously. Waterpumps, possible inner tire wear... Speeding tickets.. And ur empty bank account from buying carbon fiber..

These cars are over engineered.. Search "reliability" on here and u will not find one negative thing.. Pretty remarkable. But.... Make sure u gel your hair... The damn wind gets it every time.
haha i did the exact same thing, scroll through 5 pages over there and find 20+ threads about a serious problem vs finding a shaky rearview mirror in 5 pages over here
Old 05-15-15, 11:09 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nks979
wow 30k, what tires were you using? i read that you would be lucky to get 15k on an ISFs tire life.
I had Continental DWS, which is rated at 540 for treadwear. One of the highest! Great all-season tire but not as grippy as my current Bridgestone S04's.
Old 05-15-15, 12:10 PM
Drok149
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my 2008 with 115k miles for 23k, and now have 123k and all I've had to do was change my oil. The reliability with these cars is truly amazing. You shouldn't have to worry to much about maintenance if you find one that wasn't abused. I'd be more worried about the mod bug but even then there's only so much you can do to these cars. Good luck and hopefully you join the club!
Old 05-15-15, 12:19 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Drok149
I bought my 2008 with 115k miles for 23k, and now have 123k and all I've had to do was change my oil. The reliability with these cars is truly amazing. You shouldn't have to worry to much about maintenance if you find one that wasn't abused. I'd be more worried about the mod bug but even then there's only so much you can do to these cars. Good luck and hopefully you join the club!
thanks man hoping to join the club, shouldn't be to hard to find a well taken care of car, they seem mostly enthusiast owned

Quick Reply: 08 ISF costs