IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

08 ISF costs

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-15, 06:59 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dont forget to factor in insurance.

Depending on your age, it may be a sticker shock.

Originally Posted by nks979
Hey CL, have been considering an 08 ISF, mostly because those are the ones that fit into my budget. My only questions are if the maintenance schedule costs are realistically 800-1k per year + a bit more for tires and how it holds up being an 8 year old car which is a bit more concerning than it having 80-90k miles. would love some input from members here with higher mileage/aged ISFs as to what i should expect, thanks
Old 05-16-15, 09:25 PM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Common problems for ISF:

-shaky rear view mirror
- blown ML subwoofer
- nav screen loses touch
- water pump failures
- squeaky/ dusty front brakes

As people have mentioned, maintenance is reasonable.
Old 05-17-15, 12:30 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKLBL
Common problems for ISF:

-shaky rear view mirror
- blown ML subwoofer
- nav screen loses touch
- water pump failures
- squeaky/ dusty front brakes

As people have mentioned, maintenance is reasonable.
yes maintenance is reasonable, more concerned about issues that might show themselves due to age of the car, i know it uses chain>belt but are there any others to watch for or does the lexus schedule take care of them all? wanted to find some input on that aspect of it from owners
Old 05-18-15, 04:02 AM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
For a V8, mileage is very good (20mpg in city, 25+ in hwy).
I only get about 15-16 combined.
Oh wait, that's because I drive like this:

But in all seriousness, I haven't put a single penny into repairs on mine, just routine maintenance like oil changes, filters, brakes, tires, etc. It can be downright cheap to maintain if you how know to turn a wrench and do it all yourself. Hell, I replaced my entire break setup with Raybestos rotors and Wearever ceramic pads (no longer available) for a grand total of under $500 - that was 20k miles ago and they still have plenty of life left! And I just hit 60K so I ordered new spark plugs, which I got for around $80 delivered (using a coupon) - sure beats the dealer price of $400! My biggest expense so far has been my new tires which I got last month, and that cost me $700 delivered (Hankook Evo2) plus $50 to get them mounted & balanced = $750 installed.

Some people shy away from DIY maintenance because they think when it comes time to sell that people are only going want to buy dealer-maintained vehicles. But I've done all my own maintenance, and most repairs, on every vehicle I have ever owned and I have never had one person not want to buy my car due to lack of "official" maintenance records. If anything, I almost always end up selling my cars quicker than expected since people can tell that they are well taken care of.

Last edited by jleonard71; 05-18-15 at 04:23 AM.
Old 05-25-15, 09:19 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jleonard71
I only get about 15-16 combined.
Oh wait, that's because I drive like this:

But in all seriousness, I haven't put a single penny into repairs on mine, just routine maintenance like oil changes, filters, brakes, tires, etc. It can be downright cheap to maintain if you how know to turn a wrench and do it all yourself. Hell, I replaced my entire break setup with Raybestos rotors and Wearever ceramic pads (no longer available) for a grand total of under $500 - that was 20k miles ago and they still have plenty of life left! And I just hit 60K so I ordered new spark plugs, which I got for around $80 delivered (using a coupon) - sure beats the dealer price of $400! My biggest expense so far has been my new tires which I got last month, and that cost me $700 delivered (Hankook Evo2) plus $50 to get them mounted & balanced = $750 installed.
thats awesome to hear, curious as to how you like the evo2 - any comparison to the PSS?
Old 05-25-15, 02:12 PM
Pie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nks979
thats awesome to hear, curious as to how you like the evo2 - any comparison to the PSS?
There is no comparison. I had the original evos and they were crap. Grip wasn't great and the soft sidewall made steering feel sloppy at the track and autox. The PSS are way better and not even in the same league as the crappy evos.

I would only buy them for street use and keep a separate set of tires for track. If you only have 1 set of tires, go with PSS.
Old 05-25-15, 02:48 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Pie
There is no comparison. I had the original evos and they were crap. Grip wasn't great and the soft sidewall made steering feel sloppy at the track and autox. The PSS are way better and not even in the same league as the crappy evos.

I would only buy them for street use and keep a separate set of tires for track. If you only have 1 set of tires, go with PSS.
thats what the reviews of them mostly said as well, bummer
Old 05-27-15, 01:30 AM
freeflight
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bacrotty
i went through about 30 pages on the forums looking for problems.. The huge problems i found were:

Someone's hair getting messed up from wind flow from windows (seriously.... These are the type of complaints.. Go on a m3 or amg forum. Blown tyrannies, head bold issues.. 6k brake jobs... )

no but seriously. Waterpumps, possible inner tire wear... Speeding tickets.. And ur empty bank account from buying carbon fiber..

These cars are over engineered.. Search "reliability" on here and u will not find one negative thing.. Pretty remarkable. But.... Make sure u gel your hair... The damn wind gets it every time.
lol.......
Old 05-27-15, 09:52 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

final bump on this thread to make sure I'm not missing anything, you guys mostly seem to agree 800-1k a year for general maintenance is accurate.