Mark Levinson Radio Function

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-15, 10:38 AM
jjohns6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark Levinson Radio Function

Hi guys,

The sound in the radio portion of the system sounds terrible compared to the bluetooth function, almost like there is something completely missing. I have verified the settings are the same in both the radio and bluetooth functions. I did some quick checks and the general consensus is the settings are different. Any ideas or recommendations?

Thanks.

Jeremiah
Old 05-11-15, 12:56 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I know exactly what you're referring too...the satellite radio isn't that much better either. Honestly, I'm in my second F and I've already come to terms with it. The system was really made to run a 5.1 Dolby digital setup. Have you every tried popping in an action movie? The sound is simply awesome and well balanced for what it is. In fact the radio/satellite radio, remind me of when you're waiting in the movie theater before the previews hit the screen. The radio and propaganda sound so empty...lol...most of the sound is focused on the center channel on the dashboard...it's basically running a pro logic sound. With bluetooth its a lot cleaner. I have my F in the shop and found a personal preference that suits it quite well. I'll post once I get it back. But there's nothing wrong with your system. Standard IS models have a mono/stereo setup. Which makes the sound so much richer and pumping but not well balanced to the keen ear. Look at it this way...when you run a home theater system with 5.1 setup. The vocals mostly come out of the center and spreads the rest throughout the rest of the speakers. When you simply have two speakers and an amp. The sound comes out loud and rich. Anways I hope this makes sense.

Last edited by SoulFreak; 05-11-15 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-11-15, 01:10 PM
jjohns6
Driver School Candidate

It does, thanks. Look forward to seeing your settings.
Old 05-11-15, 07:17 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Depending on what year your F is, turning off the 'surround sound' worked better for radio use. Spotify takes the bacon with the most crisp sound from Bluetooth.
Old 05-12-15, 03:21 AM
jjohns6
Driver School Candidate

My F is a 2010...I will try it and see what happens.
Old 05-12-15, 03:51 AM
YotaLex
Driver

Hey @ least you get Bluetooth Audio. Lol. 08'er here, I can only use BT for phone functions. And I blew my ML subwoofer a few days ago. The joy! Anybody replace theirs with a free-air mount? 😲
Old 05-12-15, 03:54 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

As Zax posted the 5.1 sound is very good. DVD's play very well. As for other sources it's marginal.
Old 05-12-15, 10:03 AM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

For those with 08s, can you change the unit to a 2010+?
Old 05-12-15, 10:28 AM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I concur, the radio/satellite radio are very poor. I have quite a few DVD-Audios and they play very well, definitely takes advantage of the 5.1 in our cars. It's just too bad that format is dead. Bluetooth plays pretty well, I can't complain there.
Old 05-12-15, 01:00 PM
jjohns6
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replies, honestly don't plan on using the DVD functionality of the system.
Old 05-12-15, 01:46 PM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious if the system can play audio DVD'S, can it also play video DVD's?
Old 05-12-15, 01:48 PM
YotaLex
Driver

Originally Posted by jjohns6
Thanks for all the replies, honestly don't plan on using the DVD functionality of the system.
4real. I have never used mine for an actual DVD... Maybe the 18 year old me would be flabbergasted.

"For those with 08s, can you change the unit to a 2010+?"
You can.... If your willing to fork out the cash.
Old 05-12-15, 02:51 PM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
I know exactly what you're referring too...the satellite radio isn't that much better either. Honestly, I'm in my second F and I've already come to terms with it. The system was really made to run a 5.1 Dolby digital setup. Have you every tried popping in an action movie? The sound is simply awesome and well balanced for what it is. In fact the radio/satellite radio, remind me of when you're waiting in the movie theater before the previews hit the screen. The radio and propaganda sound so empty...lol...most of the sound is focused on the center channel on the dashboard...it's basically running a pro logic sound. With bluetooth its a lot cleaner. I have my F in the shop and found a personal preference that suits it quite well. I'll post once I get it back. But there's nothing wrong with your system. Standard IS models have a mono/stereo setup. Which makes the sound so much richer and pumping but not well balanced to the keen ear. Look at it this way...when you run a home theater system with 5.1 setup. The vocals mostly come out of the center and spreads the rest throughout the rest of the speakers. When you simply have two speakers and an amp. The sound comes out loud and rich. Anways I hope this makes sense.
Agreed popping in a movie the ML sounds awesome.
Old 05-12-15, 03:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

LOL I let my wife take my F out this weekend and she came and said
1. Damn the car is loud
2. your stereo sucks ( compared to her 2013 Sienna limited )

I had an LS460 before my ISF and even after 3 years of ownership the stereo would still blow my mind. Its a trade off for the sport.
Old 05-14-15, 10:33 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey bud! Got the F back yesterday. Just like I mentioned I'll post my current settings. This is by no means the best setup or trying to imply that it is the best setup. Nonetheless, after different settings this is the one Ive come to terms with. IMO it's clean, clear, and just enough bass to still crank it up! DSP I leave both options on. Give it a world! I have a 2011.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Radio Function