IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone getting negative attention from cops with aftermarket exhausts ?

Old 05-05-15, 01:55 PM
NarsISF
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
No joke, my Joe Z sounded as loud as Redlines F with the Joe z/PPE combo with just the Joe z when it was new . Its calming down pretty nicely, but still attracts the piggies apparently. Gotta watch out
you're crazy lol its not even close to as loud even when its new.
Old 05-05-15, 02:01 PM
YotaLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I once had a cop pace me..... From stock exhaust. Lol.
I had a city cop from the next county, rev his motor and kept looking over. He punched it on green..... So I did to, I got up to where he was and jumped off it. He kept hauling ***. It was pretty cool.... 4am nobody on the street. Responsibly. Bla bla bla.
Old 05-05-15, 02:14 PM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

^should have just shown him the real "cop car" to get! I gunned it at a stoplight one day, took it to 60 (speed limit 45) unkowingly there was a sherif 2 cars back (he sneaked in somewhere cause I watch diligently) about 100 feet from the intersection light s come on behind me and I promptly slowed down and pulled over, he asked why I was in such a hurry and I just told him I had just installed and was testing a new driveline, he checked my papers and nicely said to take it to the track and that the exhaust (joez+different mufflers) sounded great! Let me off with a warning
Old 05-05-15, 02:35 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Just shows cops can be car guys too!

I know several coppers over here in the UK who own and cherish modified Supra's.
Old 05-06-15, 11:33 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I've had motorcycle cops pull up beside me, give me that two-finger salute, and take off. They're just doing their job, but some can be really good car guys, too. The Joe Z exhaust by itself isn't loud; with headers, it can be deemed too loud, but it's a really deep visceral sound.
Old 05-06-15, 12:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
I've had motorcycle cops pull up beside me, give me that two-finger salute, and take off. They're just doing their job, but some can be really good car guys, too. The Joe Z exhaust by itself isn't loud; with headers, it can be deemed too loud, but it's a really deep visceral sound.
when its new its LOUD as hell, especially when you shift in manual mode . Every time I drive it though it seems to be mellowing. I am happy about that. Dont want the noise to be over the top.
Old 05-06-15, 12:33 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
when its new its LOUD as hell, especially when you shift in manual mode . Every time I drive it though it seems to be mellowing. I am happy about that. Dont want the noise to be over the top.
I can agree with this, but over time the sound isn't as piercing but more melodic. But that just comes with driving more. There was a time when owners said a Borla exhaust was loud when they first installed it, and the general feeling is that now it's one of the quietest exhausts for the IS F.
Old 05-06-15, 12:35 PM
thatnewguy
Driver

There are a lot of different factors to consider here.
1. What does your state law say? Here in VA the code basically says that anything that makes a vehicle louder than it was from the factory is illegal. You are also required to have mufflers and catalytic converters. So by law, you would be illegal here.

2. The individual officer/department. Officers have a lot of discretion in what they do and do not right to some extent. Some officers are by the book, and if you don't comply with the book you will be written. Others probably have had (or still do) cars that were modified, and they remember and tend to let things like that slide.
Old 05-06-15, 01:55 PM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

knock on wood but not one issue with my combo. it's also known to be on the quiet side as far as full exhausts and that is why I went with it along with the gains.
Old 05-06-15, 02:09 PM
Sean
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by thatnewguy
Here in VA the code basically says that anything that makes a vehicle louder than it was from the factory is illegal. You are also required to have mufflers and catalytic converters. So by law, you would be illegal here.
I think that's pretty much standard across the US. Also in FL if it can be heard from 50 ft away or is louder than 79 dB A (72 below 35 MPH) than it is too loud. Motorcycles are allowed to be considerably louder.

Breakin' the law.
Old 05-06-15, 02:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Its the second time I drove the car today and it sounds better and better the more I drive it. I remember people saying it would mellow to a more " mature " sound level. It absolutely is.