IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone getting negative attention from cops with aftermarket exhausts ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-15, 08:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Cool Anyone getting negative attention from cops with aftermarket exhausts ?

Just want to start off by saying I love my new exhaust . Sounds amazing

Just had a really close call just driving home. I was going to meet the wife and kids after work to have some ice cream. On the way home I was just cruising. No speeding. It was along day and I was really tired. So I'm cruising towards and intersection and I'm in the right lane. I see a car pulling out of a neighborhood and it was going to jump in front of me so I changed lanes to be in the middle lane and may have very slightly hit the gas ( still not speeding). A cop rolls out of the neighborhood right after the white car. As soon as I go by the cop he floors it come to come right behind me. He paced me for about a mile and half and we came to an intersection where I was turning into my neighborhood. I easily accelerate and he continues behind me for maybe 1/4 and makes a u turn and took off.

I think when he heard the exhaust was as loud as it was while I was calmly driving behind him I think he realized that I wasn't flooring it when I approached the intersection it was just the way the car sounded.

Anyone get any negative attention from cops with an aftermarket exhaust ? When I first got my ISF after driving the LS460 for years I thought it would announce the car when I would floor it but then realized that the noise was really simply induction noise pumped into the cabin. The new exhaust I have is LOUD and it absolutely announces the car. Even just driving slow the car sounds like a race car ( which I really like ). I guess its attracting good and bad attention . It is what it is and I love my exhaust but wanted to see if you guys have had issues with cops more so after exhaust install. I get wanting to get on it more because of the sound but the stealth factor is GONE ! Just crazy to have a cop roll up and pace me like that when I wasn't speeding .
Old 05-04-15, 08:31 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

My exhaust on my ISF is quiet. It purrs just the way i like it. Although i never got much attention from exhaust noise, my E46 M3 did. I had a axelback on it and it was LOUD! It also DRONED so bad.....it did sounded AWESOME until i pass sac county and went into elk grove district......had a fix it ticket by an Elk Grove PD officer stating, "Nice car.....but your exhaust is too loud...i heard you from 4 blocks away....you need to quiet it down a bit." Paid the fine and during that time, my m3 was still my baby.....
Old 05-04-15, 09:21 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Just want to start off by saying I love my new exhaust . Sounds amazing

Just had a really close call just driving home. I was going to meet the wife and kids after work to have some ice cream. On the way home I was just cruising. No speeding. It was along day and I was really tired. So I'm cruising towards and intersection and I'm in the right lane. I see a car pulling out of a neighborhood and it was going to jump in front of me so I changed lanes to be in the middle lane and may have very slightly hit the gas ( still not speeding). A cop rolls out of the neighborhood right after the white car. As soon as I go by the cop he floors it come to come right behind me. He paced me for about a mile and half and we came to an intersection where I was turning into my neighborhood. I easily accelerate and he continues behind me for maybe 1/4 and makes a u turn and took off.

I think when he heard the exhaust was as loud as it was while I was calmly driving behind him I think he realized that I wasn't flooring it when I approached the intersection it was just the way the car sounded.

Anyone get any negative attention from cops with an aftermarket exhaust ? When I first got my ISF after driving the LS460 for years I thought it would announce the car when I would floor it but then realized that the noise was really simply induction noise pumped into the cabin. The new exhaust I have is LOUD and it absolutely announces the car. Even just driving slow the car sounds like a race car ( which I really like ). I guess its attracting good and bad attention . It is what it is and I love my exhaust but wanted to see if you guys have had issues with cops more so after exhaust install. I get wanting to get on it more because of the sound but the stealth factor is GONE ! Just crazy to have a cop roll up and pace me like that when I wasn't speeding .
I was aware you were stock for a long time, I'm curious to know what exhaust you decided to go with? I had straight pipes on my first F. It brought very positive feedback from a lot of people. Cops left me alone unless I was really speeding. Everybody was amazed it was a Lexus producing all the Havoc!
Old 05-04-15, 10:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I went with the Joe Z. Wanted the higher quality system without the slip fits. I LOVE the way it sounds. I feel like Im smiling all the time when I drive. Just need to watch out for the cops I guess. I have had a couple of near misses when I was stock . With the exhaust now there is no mistaken if you are on the throttle

Also most of the streets in my area have high walls on both sides. Sounds even better, but my wife told me that she heard me down the street before I even came up the hill we live on. I try to just roll down the street and just take it really easy on the throttle, especially at night .
Old 05-04-15, 10:48 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

That's awesome! I truly love the sound of the Joe Z. I'm certain the exhaust note it's build perfect for our cars. I'm saving up for the ISS QES system. I'm aiming to get rid of the stock diffusers. I wish Joe would have designed a similar system for our cars, but I understand why he didn't. Then again, it's good to have choices. Congrats! On the exhaust!
Old 05-04-15, 11:23 PM
NarsISF
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Joe-Z alone without any aftermarket headers is far from loud…
Old 05-04-15, 11:39 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

ISS forged QES w/ PPE Headers, car is stupid loud, and still no problems with the police

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 05-05-15, 04:23 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Sorry to hear this.

My cop story is the exact opposite! Lol.

I had only just collected my car from the exhaust fabricators (it's a bespoke system built by Hayward & Scott over here in the UK), so was taking things nice and easy on my way home.

Saw a squad car coming up behind me on a duel carriageway (I was in the fast lane at the time), so I thought it wise to move over and stay off the throttle.

Cop car pull along side me and guy is gesturing for me to go for it! I must have looked back somewhat confused as he kept moving his hand forwards, and was smiling.

I finally decided to just give it a little blat up to the speed limit (70mph), then slowed down again.

Cop car pulls along side again, and the guy is grinning from ear to ear, and gave me a big thumbs up!

Guess he was a petrolhead that liked the looks of the car, and how it sounds.
Old 05-05-15, 05:16 AM
Isflamez
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the ISS DES street exhaust and all though it sounds great i still want louder. PPE should do the trick, if that still isnt enough i will delete resonators.
Old 05-05-15, 06:15 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

seems like the exhaust tone caught his attention. he must be checking up on the license plate in his little laptop inside the cruiser while he was paced behind you to see if there are any unpaid tickets/vehicle report stolen or if there is any warrant etc.
Old 05-05-15, 07:05 AM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had no issues since installing my Joe Z months ago, and I live in an area highly concentrated with officers from various jurisdictions, both on and off duty.

Yesterday I had to meet my daughter after school for a doctors appt. She wanted to drive my F home so I obliged her. When she was getting on the freeway in Yucaipa (a little city in So Cal), she stood in the throttle hard leaving the light from Yucaipa Blvd. to the I-10 on ramp.

On the opposing side of Yucaipa Blvd. was a California Highway Patrolman patiently waiting to go east on Yucaipa Blvd. the weather was nice and his window was down. When he heard her stand in it, he immediately looked at the car disappearing down the ramp, and could have easily pursed her as he was first out at the light. Instead, he gives me a hard look driving her Subaru and goes on about his business.

Pretty much indicative of the reaction I have received from officers who have seen (heard?) me drive by. They look, and then look away. I am sure if you were hard in the throttle and driving at a hugely excessive speed, things would be very different, but I have received no negative attention from authorities due to exhaust note alone.
Old 05-05-15, 07:09 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never in the F, even with headers / Joe Z. But I live in redneck country where loud obnoxious lift kit trucks and american muscle make up 50% of the vehicles on the road.

Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself.
Old 05-05-15, 07:24 AM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I haven't gotten any looks at all from the cops, and I'm always watching out. I only have the Joe z exhaust on at the moment. But my front (side) windows are also really really dark and I still haven't been pulled over for those. I'm about to add PPE headers this Friday, so hopefully that doesn't push me over the limit.
Old 05-05-15, 12:14 PM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

I have to be careful since I went the PPE headers / Joe-Z route just recently.

The car is LOOUUUDDD to the point that I think I may have a bad gasket or something not completely right. I can literally FEEL the "chug" of the engine / exhaust inside the car.

I met a guy recently at a BBQ joint in Gulfport, FL (Hit me up via PM if you see this) that had his install done at Lexus of Tampa Bay, same place with did mine.

I asked him to fire his car up and it was much tamer than my set up, no doubt about it.

Forget about WOT, my car is screaming like a banshee!

Interesting thing is the lady of the house is a "car" girl and loves the sound.
Old 05-05-15, 01:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

No joke, my Joe Z sounded as loud as Redlines F with the Joe z/PPE combo with just the Joe z when it was new . Its calming down pretty nicely, but still attracts the piggies apparently. Gotta watch out

Quick Reply: Anyone getting negative attention from cops with aftermarket exhausts ?