IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I drove a 2015 M3 yesterday.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-15, 07:05 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

OP, you have an 08-09 ISF correct?!? Maybe the '12+ ISFs feel more comparable to the new M3 handling/comfort wise?!?! Ever driven the newer ISF with the suspension upgrades?!

V.
Old 05-04-15, 08:56 AM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Even the E90/92 M3 felt like a better driver's car. The new m3/m4 is way ahead of the F, even the Rc-F. But what else do you expect from the latest that the M-division has to offer? I am patiently waiting for the pre-owned M4s to drop in value. Like many others have stated, remember why you leaned towards Lexus.. I had 100% euros before this (and an infiniti). *knock on wood*, I am barely visiting the shop for random problems.

Then, there's the new C63..

Last edited by F_Throttle; 05-04-15 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-04-15, 12:21 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jum3
Even the E90/92 M3 felt like a better driver's car. The new m3/m4 is way ahead of the F, even the Rc-F. But what else do you expect from the latest that the M-division has to offer? I am patiently waiting for the pre-owned M4s to drop in value. Like many others have stated, remember why you leaned towards Lexus.. I had 100% euros before this (and an infiniti). *knock on wood*, I am barely visiting the shop for random problems.

Then, there's the new C63..
Like I said before, I've had a few BMWs both had problems with very low mileage. One of them was constantly at the dealer. Not one of them had ever been abused, or tracked. The ISF is tracked and gives me no issues. Besides all this, I will consider the M3 when the price does come down. I guess I have to learn my lesson again.
Old 05-04-15, 12:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

^^ This is what I mean.....why cant these idiots at BMW get it together...........or Lexus for that matter. What we want are great sports cars that dont break. BMW can make them fun but they break. Lexus can make them less fun but they never break. Why cant these idiots meet in the middle?? Why does there always have to be a compromise?? Lexus needs to bring it or BMW needs to whip their engineers a little harder. Take them off the test track and put them in a lab monitoring durability
Old 05-04-15, 01:00 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
^^ This is what I mean.....why cant these idiots at BMW get it together...........or Lexus for that matter. What we want are great sports cars that dont break. BMW can make them fun but they break. Lexus can make them less fun but they never break. Why cant these idiots meet in the middle?? Why does there always have to be a compromise?? Lexus needs to bring it or BMW needs to whip their engineers a little harder. Take them off the test track and put them in a lab monitoring durability
Would the current generation of muscle cars, be considered the 'middle'. I hate that I like the M, and will always be a fan-boy. But its a love-hate. I love driving it, but i hate paying for it.

My indy shop tech, always said that the M's AMG's have lower tolerances with increased wear - squeezing out performance. I wonder if he just wanted to make me feel better for cutting him a check every year.
Old 05-04-15, 01:08 PM
speeddem0n
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by silverlexg
I'd imagine so - 8 years newer technology will do that, in sure the '15 rcf/gsf would feel pretty awesome too :-)

That said I'd venture to say an 8yr old lexus will still be in the shop less than that '15 m3
Exactly...
Old 05-04-15, 02:39 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I haven't driven a new m3/4 to see how it compares to a '11MY isf. I'm sure I'll like it's performance perhaps even more than my Fs, but no way I'll be able to tolerate the god awful sound it makes.

Just this weekend I went in a cruise with cars ranging from exotics to stanced hondas. There was an m4 with an after market loud exhaust that sounded pretty bad. It didn't help that the owner revved it every minute of the cruise. The ones that seemed stock sounded just as bad just at a lowered volume.

People were actually complementing the guy for his exhaust. Then I heard the same people ripping the guy apart because of how bad it sounded. Even though the guy acted like an a hole, I still think that was a pretty messed up thing to do.
Old 05-04-15, 02:57 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive driven both RC-F and M4. Not much in it on the road. Yes the M4 pulls harder but it also has traction issues, very scary in the wet. I had it in mostly dry conditions but it still had problems putting all the power down on UK roads. In fact, the M4 is almost too tail happy. The RC-F is pretty well balanced, especially with the TVD.

RC-F, for all its worth is a better road car. Less firm, better looks, interior quality is better and unlike the BMW, you have a nice soundtrack. Cheaper here in the UK too spec for spec
Old 05-04-15, 09:58 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No surprises here, since it is widely considered as an improvement over the e90/92. I think it's fine that it's tail happy, either keep TC on or have some fun modulating the throttle, no biggie.

Originally Posted by jlam86
If you're talking about the pure feel and composure of the vehicles, I feel more confident whipping the x5 around than I do with the isf. The x5 felt so planted at high speeds I can only imagine what a high performance vehicle like the m3 will feel like.
I like your sense of humor.
Old 05-04-15, 10:36 PM
zpletcher
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

BMW always seems to be ahead..But what a lot of us notice is that BMW brings them to market
too fast, without enough testing..So then they have a lot of bugs...

Toyota and Lexus , in my opinion, does more testing and will not bring them to market until they
are tried and proven...thus, more reliable....

Haste makes waste just to try to be the new kid on the block every year...

Waste of money on repairs just to have a little status.. Not good business sense at all...

Cheerio,

Z
Old 05-05-15, 12:14 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by primecut
No surprises here, since it is widely considered as an improvement over the e90/92. I think it's fine that it's tail happy, either keep TC on or have some fun modulating the throttle, no biggie.

I like your sense of humor.
Its not that simple, the M4 is uncontrollable on tight streets. Sometimes you hit it too hard and it snaps! Its a PITA on the road, RC-F is more relaxing in the streets and fun when you want it to be. Its a true Jekyll and Hyde car
Old 05-05-15, 07:44 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not true that an M car is uncontrollable, in my experience the throttle is much easier to modulate than in the ISF. For example, if the throttle play in the ISF is 4", probably the first 2.5" cover 90% of the throttle response (that's why I always found the LTC units useless). In an M car, all 4" are usable in a linear rate, so basically you'd feel the M car sluggish if you drive it like you drive an ISF. Now, hit the gas hard and those turbos will teach you a lesson.
Old 05-06-15, 01:24 AM
BredsISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ehhhh... Ive driven all M series. I'm sill not sold. Imo.
Old 05-06-15, 12:36 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Slightly off topic but I heard an M4 today walking to work and it actually sounded good. The M cars are really nice but reliability is complete crap... which make them unappealing.
Old 05-06-15, 01:13 PM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Daniel since you race the Isf on the tracks , I can bet you really enjoyed the M3/4 as it's a pure drivers car for the track.

Yes ppl will say reliability and Maintnance but it seems every few years there comes a car with an edge and you get that feeling to go for it and trade your 4-8 year old car . At that point it doesn't matter about Maintnance or reliability as it'll be the next owner that will have to deal with it.

How's the sound of that inline 6 though ? From the outside it doesn't sound that great compared to the outgoing m3

Quick Reply: I drove a 2015 M3 yesterday.......