IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Seat Bolster Repair Before/After

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-15, 02:25 PM
TranV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^how much did they charged you? care to share?
Old 05-01-15, 02:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

it was $150 to make a tear in my LS seat vanish. I had a screw driver accidentally go through the leather and I swaer you could not even find or feel where the repair was done. AMAZING>
Old 05-03-15, 02:45 PM
vietzboi87
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks good! Where in florida and how much was it?
Old 05-03-15, 03:55 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in St Pete near Tampa and it was $175 to fix driver's seat, a little touch up to passenger seat and he fixed the indentations in rear seat from my daughter's car seat rubbing against the back of seat.
Old 05-03-15, 04:37 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,205 Likes on 955 Posts

Dr. Vinyl is a franchise that I've used in FL for boat vinyl and leather car seat repairs with great success. They often work for dealerships as well. Dedicated custom upholstery shops generally cost much more but will give you a longer lasting, higher quality replacement (not a patch). Better if you're gonna keep the car for a long time. I once had a Volvo that had torn leather. I had it replaced with vinyl, really difficult to tell the difference. Vinyl is so advanced now. As much as I love the smell and feel of leather, it's hard to say whether polyurethane coated leather (most cars) is superior to the modern vinyls.
Old 12-17-15, 09:55 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Reviving and old thread to ask a question - I've looked into new seat covers from Lexus, and the semi-aniline leather from the '08 is pretty crazy expensive. The later models with Alcantara are a lot cheaper - about $1k for both the bottom and the seat back. I like the idea of Alcantara because it is a lot more grippy than semi-aniline leather, but I am concerned the Alcantara covers will be just as prone to wear at the bolsters

Anyone with Alcantara seats having issues with wear? I know they came out in 2012 so they might not have a lot of mileage on them, but if someone has experience with this, I would love to hear about it.

Otherwise, I'll be joining the Fibrenew repair club.
Old 12-17-15, 10:04 AM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Reviving and old thread to ask a question - I've looked into new seat covers from Lexus, and the semi-aniline leather from the '08 is pretty crazy expensive. The later models with Alcantara are a lot cheaper - about $1k for both the bottom and the seat back. I like the idea of Alcantara because it is a lot more grippy than semi-aniline leather, but I am concerned the Alcantara covers will be just as prone to wear at the bolsters

Anyone with Alcantara seats having issues with wear? I know they came out in 2012 so they might not have a lot of mileage on them, but if someone has experience with this, I would love to hear about it.

I have the Alcantara with about 80K kms (not miles) and no sign of wear. They've been quite durable as I don't do much to maintain them. I've used cleaner on it a couple times for stains and haven't had any bald patches. The side bolsters are leather and it has the usual wear that my 350 had.
Old 12-17-15, 10:07 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

what people dont know is most dealerships do this to their cars before putting it on the lot for preowned cars. its just sanding, filling, and dyeing. simple stuff but takes a good person to color match the correct color to match the rest of the condition of leather depending how faded it has gotten.
Old 12-17-15, 01:40 PM
caveman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a 2012 with the Alcantara interior with almost 30K miles. The Alcantara section of the seats show little to no wear. The bottom and side leather bolsters show some creasing and lines. I also take extra care not to rub the bolsters when going in/out of the car.
Old 12-17-15, 09:20 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

That looks like a decent job. It did cover up a lot of those blemishes, but it couldve been more clean as it looks like the blue stitching got colored over as well. Also, I have done this in the past and the creases/cracks comes back really quickly, could you let us know how yours is holding up? I really want to do this my seats as well. I always avoid bolster wear by getting in and out safely and when sitting on the seat, I sit straight and avoid sitting on the bolster itself. I too hate looking at the creases cracks on the seat everytime I get in the car, but this is something I bought used so it wasnt my choice. I actually followed the forum and tried using the leather masters cleaner and it did a fantastic job. It looks like the alcantara does not wear at all on these sits. My whole interior is spec clean except for the driver side bolster.

The lm stuff really works great and makes the leather soft and supple. After I did the driver seat I was impressed and did the whole interior leather with it.

Last edited by k20trick; 12-17-15 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-17-15, 09:42 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

Are you sure the bottom and back is $1k for both pieces? Last time I checked was $850 for the bottom piece and $850 for the upper piece. Its true, I show no wear on the alcantara and it is a lot more grippy and I think it looks sportier than full leather models.
Old 12-17-15, 09:47 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

my seats are basically perfect . what ive noticed people doing wrong is applying leather products or other crap on the seats. we have coated leather seats, like most newer cars. all you need is warm water to clean teh seats and thats it. our seats are actually blue black, not a totally black dye. if you keep putting these leather products on there, it will start wearing off, you lose the coat and you will start seeing more cracks, wrinkles tears.
Old 12-17-15, 09:52 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
my seats are basically perfect . what ive noticed people doing wrong is applying leather products or other crap on the seats. we have coated leather seats, like most newer cars. all you need is warm water to clean teh seats and thats it. our seats are actually blue black, not a totally black dye. if you keep putting these leather products on there, it will start wearing off, you lose the coat and you will start seeing more cracks, wrinkles tears.
You sure about that? the leather masters is actually water based... Its the first time used on the car
Old 12-17-15, 09:58 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by k20trick
You sure about that? the leather masters is actually water based... Its the first time used on the car
there is one leather master products that can be used on coated leather. i forgot the name but im sure i can look it up.
Old 12-18-15, 09:15 AM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm the OP who posted this thread. I ended up trading my F in a few months after the seat repair on a CTS-V so I'm not sure how the repair held up. I did notice when shopping for a V that the Recaros in the V cars almost always had damage on them like the F seats. I'm guessing since they are similar in shape it must be that the narrow bolstered seats just get worn down. C63 cars I looked at seemed to have seats that weren't nearly as worn down as the V and the F cars.

Quick Reply: Seat Bolster Repair Before/After